XY Returning to previous games and regions

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
(Note to moderators: this thread isn't posted under the "Past generations" sub-thread because its subject is past games, not generations per se.)

About the main Pokémon games, do you sometimes feel the need to again play a certain game entirely or at least to again see certain locations that you like very much and miss?

I'm still playing HG, but I find myself returning to Emerald, in order to visit Verdanturff mainly, due to the music and scenery, and also my secret base, right to the East of Fortree, and last but not least, the peaceful Dewford and the lonely Mossdeep.
I also return to B2 in order to visit N's Castle, also due to the great music and torn look of the castle.
When I stop playing HG for good, I'll return there mosty because of the National Park because it's one of the most amazing locations ever created in the games, but also to see Ilex and Viridian forests.

Yes, I'm sure everyone has few games they enjoy through time that they go back to every now and then. I myself am more nostalgic and enjoy Yellow Version, battling Gary right outside of the Victory Road and being jumped by annoying Mankeys that cause you to jump off the cliff..which makes me run all the way back around...

The theme also gets me every time. (Dem feels)

Shining Goodra said:
Yes, I'm sure everyone has few games they enjoy through time that they go back to every now and then. I myself am more nostalgic and enjoy Yellow Version, battling Gary right outside of the Victory Road and being jumped by annoying Mankeys that cause you to jump off the cliff..which makes me run all the way back around...

The theme also gets me every time. (Dem feels)

Funny thing is that the music is one of the best parts of the games and one that brings back a lot of nostalgia and a wish to go back.

I forgot to say but one of the reasons to touch on older games is to see the difference in graphics and to note that what we have today has been a part of a history, namely affecting the games' regions, hence why LG and HG hold a special place in my heart and memory. Truth be told, some places in the games are really amazing and I act like that female tourist that is staying at the Grand Valor Hotel in Sinnoh, because I do sightseeing.

Btw, I can't complain about the Mankeys because it was right there and thankfully already having Pkmbals, that I caught my shiny Mankey!

Every few months i go back and replay Pokemon Sapphire. I just like going around Hoenn.
Although now with ORAS something tells me that i won't do that again for awhile.

I actually think it would be nice if they made a third gen6 game where you can go to Sinnoh as an extra after doing Kalos stuff. A bit like a pokemon Z but with a HGSS twist

Klonoahedgehog said:
Every few months i go back and replay Pokemon Sapphire. I just like going around Hoenn.
Although now with ORAS something tells me that i won't do that again for awhile.

In my case, even after obtaining AS, I'll always return to Hoenn, be it through Emerald or Sapphire, because I like the 2D graphics, namely the fact that Rustboro seems like a true big city and not what we have now (judging from the world map artwork) with Rustboro not having tall buildings because of graphics, also because the music might be similar but it's the older one that brings me memories...but mostly because of the 2D gaphics! :D

yorepoor said:
I actually think it would be nice if they made a third gen6 game where you can go to Sinnoh as an extra after doing Kalos stuff. A bit like a pokemon Z but with a HGSS twist

I wouldn't mind seeing Sinnoh some years after the events of D/P/Pt...perhaps that volcano where Heatran lives also erupted (also with no casualties...except Barry and Palmer)! :p

I also return to Sinnoh, although rarely in order to see Prof. Rowan, Sandgem Town, Eterna City (this one mostly in Diamond due to the wider trees) and Forest and to Galactic HQ in Pt in order to feel like the hidden villain of the game!

Yeah I still play all my Pokemon games from 4th gen forward to simply do my daily events every day. Until those events are completed some will take about 20 years. Not kidding because some events will take 999 of each item. When those are all done then I will stop playing the games. Until then I will keep playing them every day or when I can.:)

yorepoor said:

A full on console game with all the regions would be the best possible outcome, the 3DS isn't capable of holding enough data for every single region. I think ORAS is pushing it in terms of used data.

I'm thinking we'll have a gen2 remake before we see gen1 Kanto, the dream still lives!

Yeah see when will they ever make a full console RPG like the 3DS games? The Colosseum games actually came pretty close but after that they never did pursue any more RPG's on regular console. Anyhow the 3DS can probably hold up to 3 full regions with the massive space on one cartridge though. Anyway Yeah I would like to see a full past game remake of more than just 2 generations like HG/SS.:)

xxashxx said:
Yeah I still play all my Pokemon games from 4th gen forward to simply do my daily events every day. Until those events are completed some will take about 20 years. Not kidding because some events will take 999 of each item. When those are all done then I will stop playing the games. Until then I will keep playing them every day or when I can.:)

I thought of going back every day just to do that but never had the patience to it. Kudos to you! :cool:

xxashxx said:
Yeah see when will they ever make a full console RPG like the 3DS games? The Colosseum games actually came pretty close but after that they never did pursue any more RPG's on regular console. Anyhow the 3DS can probably hold up to 3 full regions with the massive space on one cartridge though. Anyway Yeah I would like to see a full past game remake of more than just 2 generations like HG/SS.:)

I'd imagine Pokémon would want to see how Pokken went, then pursue farther out onto other console games in the new era.

@xxashxx
@Shining Goodra,
this thread is about still "travelling" between and to older games while already playing the new ones, not returning to previous regions/games in potencial new games. Thanks.

I've thought about doing it just to gather up more legends to trade, or making use of moves that were TMs in previous games to put on a Mon, transfer it forward, then breed it into the line. Haven't really gotten around to doing it, though.

Leaf_Ranger said:
xxashxx said:

I thought of going back every day just to do that but never had the patience to it. Kudos to you! :cool:

Just do it so if anyone needs an item you can migrate to 5th gen. There are still 5th gen players out there on regular trade that can still use them so collect the items or buy the ones to end those daily events faster.:)

Occasionally I return to an older game if I want to mess around in the region, but aside from that I tend not to replay older games unless I still need to complete the Pokedex.

FoxFire said:
I've thought about doing it just to gather up more legends to trade, or making use of moves that were TMs in previous games to put on a Mon, transfer it forward, then breed it into the line. Haven't really gotten around to doing it, though.

I've restarted LF a few times with different starters in order to get not only said starters but the legendary beasts (and a Mewtwo to toy around). I've also restarted Sapphire for the starters but more for the Master ball, which I've used recently to catch a shiny in HG. As for the TM's, LF was useful in getting some Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Earthquake, while Mauville's Game Corner and Celadon's D.S. come in hand to buy TM.

Oh yeah, sometimes I return to Hoenn in order to play around and redecorate (and move) my secret base.

xxashxx said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Just do it so if anyone needs an item you can migrate to 5th gen. There are still 5th gen players out there on regular trade that can still use them so collect the items or buy the ones to end those daily events faster.:)

How is that trade done? Btw, I thought that all events (Buena's Passwors, Berries, etc.) would last as long as the game is still played! The only thing that I collect is the Nuggets from S.S. Aqua's Captain in order to stock up of gold reserves (I've done that with the Lady and Rich Boy before and after Petalburg Woods in Hoenn) while keeping my Mom with the maximum money, and some Heart scales from Luvdisc (Ever Grande or the route south of it in Hoenn and the mass outbreak in HG).

I have a pretty terrible long-term memory.* While this has obvious downsides (I have direct memories of incredibly few things from my past), it's actually kind of nice when it comes to things like books, and movies, and -- as is meaningful to this thread -- video games. As such, I tend to pick up an old Pokémon game or two once a year to replay it. I'll remember some of the generic stuff (evil team names, some of the new Pokémon in that generation, maybe a Gym Leader or two), but otherwise it's like getting to play the game fresh, re-exploring old routes and areas, etc and so forth. A couple months ago I started to replay Pearl which was particularly great since I hadn't played 4th Gen since Platinum came out and I hardly remembered a thing. It's also been fun with ORAS. I can't say I particularly enjoy certain places or anything (since there are few I remember anyway) but I do enjoy replaying the games and building up new memories of them.

(* - I think I've mentioned this on this forum before, but I can't remember if I have or not...)

I occasionally have an urge to play a game again. Earlier this year, I started a new game on Black 2 because I've only played through it once and I really liked it. I also turned on Platinum for the first time in years and saw that I was at the Elite Four with a pretty terrible team and there was no way I was going to win. I laughed at myself for having an Altaria with Dragon Dance when all of its offensive moves were special, and thought it would be fun to start over, but for some reason I never got around to it.

Well, I guess I sort of restarted playing Crystal. But it was more of a nightmare.

I've played my Crystal game off and on for the last 14 years. In 2012 I beat the Indigo Plateau, I also beat all the Kanto gyms, I even started raising up a new Umbreon after the Indigo Plateau to go along with my Lv. 66 Female Typhlosion, and Lv. 50+ Feraligatr and Jynx.

I played the game earlier this year caught Lugia with an Ultra Ball.

Well I go to play the game yesterday and click the button without thinking and look down at the screen and my face goes white. The screen says "Are you a boy or a girl?"

From what I remember the Continue button was at the top of the list wasn't it? Or do you have to scroll down to Continue? I'm thinking or restarting and catching all the Pokemon again(Though I don't have a means of getting a Feraligatr again). I'd feel better knowing the game erased my entire 14 year game while sitting on my desk rather than me erasing it by a stupid button click. Is my Hall of Fame saved at least? The only reason I think the former happened is because it didn't say "Are you sure you want to delete this saved file and start a new one. The fact you can delete your saved file just by clicking New Game, and the fact New Game was at the top of the list is an unfathomably dumb design flaw. At the very least you should be able to turn the game off after clicking New Game without saving and having the old file there, thats another reason I think the former happened.

It's crazy to think a file can save a game for 14 years then randomly erase it.

In response to Maserati777:

Unfortunately your save file can be erased in generation II games when the internal battery of the game runs dry. You can still play the game, but when you turn on your console after turning it off the save file will be gone, whether you saved the game or not. This happened to me on my version of Silver and I ended up buying another copy of it in the end. I was sad to lose my awesome Typhlosion though. :(

-

I only ever really return to regions to play challenges like Nuzlockes now, as it's fun to go back to a region and go through it with a higher difficulty level. After completing OR and AS (can't believe I haven't yet) and my Yellow Scramble I plan on going back to the Orre region to play through Colosseum, personally one of my favourite Pokémon games. One of the best parts of going back to a region is experiencing the music again - even if it's not the best music in the game the nostalgia factor can make it seem as if it is. xD

Back