Virizion EX / Genesect EX

spartanzdude3

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Virizion EX Variants

I like how M Manetric works in this deck, however with all the donphan and fighting. It's not the greatest to play right now.

bsguedes

You shall not pass!

Vom said:
Elbow said:
It still wins. If they have 3 DCE in the discard, your doing 130 damage (150 with a band). After being attacked from an emerald slash it can finish the KO. Genesect sweeps later on.
With 3 DCE, you do 150, and 170 with the band. Just saying XD
Also, there is a very popular deck centered about Virigen+M Manetric EX. I really like M Manetric EX, so I might give it a try. Who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be as good as Drifblim XD

But usually metal has resistance -20 to Psychic, right? So it would be 130 + 20 with the band = 150 :)

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod

Oh true XD my bad :p I usually never take Resistance into account :p (always forget XD) It's still 160 with a Bangle :p

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer

I played VirGen Balloons at cities due to the lack of Yveltals. Did pretty good. Undefeated up until the top cut. Where i got destroyed by a pyroar. Won first match pretty fast, lost second match pretty fast, and for the 3rd match i could have won turn 2, I skyla'ed for muscle band, but they were all prized.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

I play the Balloons version too Ivy. I've tested a lot against pyroar, and the key factor is to knock out 2-3 muscle bands if you can. This helpful when you get Drifblim out, doing 120 with a band and 2 DCE in their discard, and they can't OHKO you back with a pyroar.
I think I've tested against the matchup about 14-15 times. Its consistently been 50-50, with one win being based off of bad draws on both sides.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer

Well you cant knock off DCE early if they dont play them. All they have to do is just power up with only fire energy so you cant use driblim, then all you can attack with is G booster, which is usually at least turn 3/4. By then it can be too late. The only thing that really allows VIrGen to beat pyroar is to set up faster. If you cant do that, there really isnt much you can do unless you tech for it with a water attacker. I normally win with my abomasnow tech, but with with driblim, you cant always rely on your tech to counter pyroar. Even with Plasma frigate on the field, it only takes 1 skyla to take it out.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

But, if you can, don't show your opponents you play drifloon too early. If turn 1 they only see a Virizion EX, and not a balloon contender, then they may attach/discard more DCE's early game. The enhanced hammers give it away a little, but until a drifloon comes down the hammers might just be a tech for a straight VirGen build.
I get that they will be set up really fast, and the only way to win is to set up just as quickly. But, just in perspective, 9/10 times does VirGen set up well. Only about 7/10 times does Pyroar set up well, a lot of times they run into a supporter, energy, or even pokemon drought. I more hope that after enough N's my opponent will draw a bad hand rather then legitimately 'beating' the deck fair in square.
Lastly, am I missing something about the stadium? I really haven't seen any Pyroar builds actually use a stadium recently. I've seen mountain ring in the past, but I thought the idea ran out and the deck needed more room/cuts for battle compressors and VS seekers? Idk, it could just be my local meta though.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod

What and why would Pyroar discard? Sorry for the noob question I just haven't faced any Pyroars lately XD

Serperior

~
Advanced Member

Pyroar discards for the OHKO on your green Pokés.

VirGen w/Balloons seems like the best variant of the deck right now. What gives this variant a hard time is if they see the Drifloon early, they'll know not to play their DCEs for the sake of fueling Drifblim. It's vital to go first and pull out the Muscle Banded Emerald Slash T2 to KO Litleo and start powering up G Boosters. I don't recommend Plasma Frigate (or frankly, any Stadium) because it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to touch Pyroar. It stalls you for one turn...and that's it. It also hurts consistency when you play decks that aren't Fire-based. It becomes dead, and, with such a tight list, hurts the deck a ton.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

Serperior said:
Pyroar discards for the OHKO on your green Pokés.

VirGen w/Balloons seems like the best variant of the deck right now. What gives this variant a hard time is if they see the Drifloon early, they'll know not to play their DCEs for the sake of fueling Drifblim. It's vital to go first and pull out the Muscle Banded Emerald Slash T2 to KO Litleo and start powering up G Boosters. I don't recommend Plasma Frigate (or frankly, any Stadium) because it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to touch Pyroar. It stalls you for one turn...and that's it. It also hurts consistency when you play decks that aren't Fire-based. It becomes dead, and, with such a tight list, hurts the deck a ton.

I agree with this a lot. Despite the fact that an explosive start for the VirGen player might be to have a drifloon down turn 1, an explosive start for a Pyroar player might be discarding a lot of valuable resources early to set up (like a hefty sycamore).
The KO on a litleo is also needed. If you get that KO, it should be easy to get another 1-2 KOes with a Genesect and 3 more with the drifblims.

Carpey

Deck Experimenter

Silent Lab could make the Seismitoad matchup quite a bit tougher. If this becomes a huge problem, what Stadium would be the best to counter a Lab? Plasma Frigate is pretty neutral to slightly helpful if the Toad player is using Fire type techs, but there has to be something else? Maybe Dimension Valley+Drifblim?

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer

I just always default to Plasma Frigate. It helps against fire, which is utterly terrifying as a VirGen player. I dont know find seismitoad to be overly threatening already to worry about teching for it. As long as i already have stadiums, that lab isnt going to stay anyway. And i can hit seismitoad for 140 with emerald slash or 200 with megalo cannon.

What is most worrisome about seismitoad is who his friends are. If its mewtwo, hope to G booster it. if its pyroar, play frigate anyway and maybe some sort of anti fire tech.

Idk about any other VirGen players. But i'm quite happy when i see someone play down a seismitoad.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer

Thoughts on new cards for VirGen decks?

Teammates is an obvious one. Though i cant really decide what to remove from this deck to make room for teammates.

Ironman131

Aspiring Trainer

From primal clash there are really only a few cards that i think would benifit a Vir/Gen build. Teamates is a card that would be a good card for Vir Gen deck, a Virizion EX gets KOd you could grab a plasma energy and G booster. Trevenant EX is another card that I think could see some play in the deck because it can hit bigger numbers then Genesect EX even though it takes a lot of energy to do so, Trevenant EX can also attack for a single grass energy and stop the opponent from retreating Possibly setting a KO up and some of the megas with 230 HP. I think repeat ball could also be used in this deck after the first or second turn when ou get a genesect EX and Virizion EX out you can search for another one without discarding cards. Exp. Share is another card that could help Vir/ Gen decks conserve more energy. The last card that i think would fit is Profeesor Birches Observations just to had more draw power to the deck.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

Ivy_Profen said:
Thoughts on new cards for VirGen decks?

Teammates is an obvious one. Though i cant really decide what to remove from this deck to make room for teammates.

The only other thing I'd add is an exp share to the list, but honestly I think just the teammates is fine.
I'm thinking about dropping one my colresses for it, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Virizion EX / Genesect

Thoughts on the new match ups for VirGen?

Obviously the 2 primals shouldn't be a problem for VirGen. But fairies seems like it could be a hard match up if they get a good start.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

Ivy_Profen said:
Thoughts on the new match ups for VirGen?

Obviously the 2 primals shouldn't be a problem for VirGen. But fairies seems like it could be a hard match up if they get a good start.

Not as good in this format. Yes, it does beat the new megas and still can hit for 210 with deoxys, but many decks outperform it. Metal can take a KO and make it a good thing (like a KO to Dialga EX = 2 metal in the discard) wheras a KO to a Genesect can stall your play for awhile. Fairies, despite the 210 HP Mega Gardvoir, can still beat VG because of its max potions and ability to move around energies (to make them less concentrated for a Gbooster KO).
It loses to Night March, because even though you can probably KO 6 of their pokemon in 7 turns, they will have a quick set up and will probably start OHKOing by T2, which is just when you start setting up. Also, the Lando Bats matchup isn't good for VG. The damage spread is hard to control even if you run Mr. Mime. Lastly, with the deck now revolutionizing into only straight deck builds (no techs), if Pyroar ever sees play its a surefire way to lose.
Its much easier to say what decks VG loses to today rather then what it beats. Even the Mega matchups can go 60-40 depending on draws. It makes sense to move it down to tier 2, and I will probably be scrapping the deck for something else for states :(

Ivy_Profen

Aspiring Trainer

So i ran this deck in states with a 4/1/0 record. So not too bad. My only loss was to a donphan deck when i had terrible draws. I then proceeded to lose in the semi finals against the same player with a much closer match. Other than that this deck did pretty well.

The top 4 decks were Donphan, Yveltal w/ hard charm, Landorus Bats, and VirGen.

I'm now trying to decide whats better for this deck in extended. I tossed in stuff like tool scrapper and sky arrow bridge. Now im wondering if Jirachi or Roserade is better. Jirachi takes up less space and more consistently gets me out of dead draws. Roserade helps grab those things that aren't just supporters. Overall being more useful.

Elbow

Klinklang V Plz

Ivy_Profen said:
So i ran this deck in states with a 4/1/0 record. So not too bad. My only loss was to a donphan deck when i had terrible draws. I then proceeded to lose in the semi finals against the same player with a much closer match. Other than that this deck did pretty well.

The top 4 decks were Donphan, Yveltal w/ hard charm, Landorus Bats, and VirGen.

I'm now trying to decide whats better for this deck in extended. I tossed in stuff like tool scrapper and sky arrow bridge. Now im wondering if Jirachi or Roserade is better. Jirachi takes up less space and more consistently gets me out of dead draws. Roserade helps grab those things that aren't just supporters. Overall being more useful.

Jirachi is much more useful. Roserade was great without Toad in the format with level ball, but being able to draw into a 1-of for the jirachi is much better then having to draw the 1-1 line by itself. Sure, it gets you more options...but you have practically the same options with Jirachi. Need a plasma? Get a shadow triad. Need a muscle band? Get a skyla. The only downside is not being able to get a VS seeker, but if you run 3 you should be fine getting what you need.

SpeedyJ

Aspiring Trainer

I think Mew EX with Dimesnion Valley may be worth mentioning in the "Good Additions" section since you can first turn Emerald Slash for one grass energy.