Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U

PMJ said:
So how many of you 3DS smash owners are hyped for the $60 DLC?

That's a loaded question. A better question would be "What does everyone think of Mewtwo being given out as DLC for registering both the 3DS and Wii U versions?", and then you might add your concerns or positions in a second sentence. Right now you just sound sassy...

And as for my position on the matter, I'm fine with it so long as Mewtwo is at some point distributed by other means, such as a simple e-Shop purchase for either game individually. It seems perfectly rational to give those who are interested in the game enough to buy both copies an early look at the new character.

I don't really care about Mewtwo at all, so I don't really care or mind much. I do think that it's probably likely that Mewtwo will be included in some other DLC at some point if only because of the limited-time nature of the original offer, but even if it isn't, I would personally be fine with it.

Auride said:
PMJ said:
So how many of you 3DS smash owners are hyped for the $60 DLC?

That's a loaded question. A better question would be "What does everyone think of Mewtwo being given out as DLC for registering both the 3DS and Wii U versions?", and then you might add your concerns or positions in a second sentence. Right now you just sound sassy...

And as for my position on the matter, I'm fine with it so long as Mewtwo is at some point distributed by other means, such as a simple e-Shop purchase for either game individually. It seems perfectly rational to give those who are interested in the game enough to buy both copies an early look at the new character.
I honestly just sensed Sarcasm from that post PMJ made, Auride. But, it made me chuckle nonetheless since I often buy DLC for games (bought every DLC Mission for Fire Emblem Awakening, Bought almost all of the DLC for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, etc.) But... I think I'll pass for a $60 DLC Character. :D

That said, I'd still have fun battling people who do have access to the character and what not. I'm not thrilled about not being able to use it, but at the same time, I'm not that sad or mad either. Just gotta roll with the smashes!

However, if it was a character like a Bravely Default Rep or a Kingdom Hearts Rep... I'd be gritting my teeth as I took out the $60, purchased the Wii-U Version, register the code, and proceed to give the Wii-U Game away to someone else and play with my new characters on the 3DS version.

/me becomes Sad Aristocrat and Shulks in a corner in shame.

Hope they don't hand out Mewtwo to anyone but the people that bought both versions. I like when things are a bit exclusive (though it might be unfair to the people that can't afford both consoles and their versions of Smash).

"Unfair"? Really? You expect people to pay ~100$ plus DLC to get Mewtwo? That is ridiculous. Not everyone has both consoles, not everyone has both games even if they have both consoles. You say you like things when they are exclusive, but this isn't a cosmetic item, it's a character that 80% of the fanbase was asking for.

I was being silly, yes. You are getting much more than Mewtwo for the money. It's just amusing knowing that the 3ds owners are gonna have to pay sixty bucks for access to him and that's only assuming they are also Wii u owners as well.

To everyone that's angry about my post:

Seems like Sakurai agrees with me considering that the official direct stated that Mewtwo will be available for only those who buy both versions. In no way has there ever been said that Mewtwo will be available for everyone as a DLC later.

I personally have issues with special "bonuses" and such. I've overpaid houndreds of dollars for some games to get exclusive bonuses only to see them be released to the public shortly after. And also, do you think it would be fair to those who actually go out and buy a brand new Nintendo console to get Mewtwo? Imagine the rage when they find out a week later that Mewtwo will be a cheap DLC available on the eShop :p

Of course I wanted Mewtwo to be available for everyone, but Nintendo has stated that it's a bonus for those who get both versions, and I hope it stays that way.

But that's just my opinion.

Jungletoad said:
And also, do you think it would be fair to those who actually go out and buy a brand new Nintendo console to get Mewtwo? Imagine the rage when they find out a week later that Mewtwo will be a cheap DLC available on the eShop :p
Why would anyone do that? They would be so damn stupid that they fully deserve that slap in the face. They would still have a WiiU and Smash WiiU anyway. It's not like Mewtwo will be the thing they want that badly. The WiiU version has a load of exclusive stuff and is better than the 3DS version anyway.

That would be the worst DLC practice ever seen in the gaming business. He'll be available for purchase for everyone, and most likely on the same day that he's given for free to owners of both games. Sakurai has made it very clear that he wants parity in these games. Having a character restricted to a $400+ entry fee is not parity.

How do you get Mewtwo - by registering both codes to Club Nintendo? If so, you could buy the Wii U/3DS version (whichever one you don't have), register the code on Club Nintendo, then sell the game on Ebay/Craigslist/whatever. You may lose a few dollars, but it isn't $60 at least. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mewtwo on the Eshop someday, though (maybe a timed delay?).

Personally, I plan on getting Smash (and a Wii U) because I enjoy the series. It's one of my favorites and it isn't as good on the handheld (despite it being a good entry) as it is on a home console. I'm also looking forward to the stage builder, board game mode, 8-player Smash (which will be insane in a good way), and more.

See they are ripping people of by doing this. They are desperate for money or they would have put the character in game for this rather than doing codes inside the games. It is a sales gimmick. Don't fall fo it.:)

SotS said:
That would be the worst DLC practice ever seen in the gaming business. He'll be available for purchase for everyone, and most likely on the same day that he's given for free to owners of both games. Sakurai has made it very clear that he wants parity in these games. Having a character restricted to a $400+ entry fee is not parity.

Again, why didn't they just announce that Mewtwo would be available for everyone then?

Jungletoad said:
Again, why didn't they just announce that Mewtwo would be available for everyone then?

Lemme' just flip that question and ask where they said that it's exclusive, or that it won't be offered to everyone. They simply said that it will be a download available to those who own both. It's an exclusive -download- to those who own both. To others it's something you can -purchase- so the word download isn't as fitting.

xxashxx said:
they would have put the character in game for this rather than doing codes inside the games. It is a sales gimmick. Don't fall fo it.:)

But the character isn't done yet, so how could they put it in the game without delaying it?

I have a feeling this Mewtwo thing is targeted at the hard-core Smash fans who miss Mewtwo from Melee and were going to buy both versions anyway. This doesn't impact me a lot since other Wii U version features have me wanting the game, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

So is Mewtwo in the game permanently or is it still coded?:)

You just asked the same exact thing twice in one post. And, as it said in the video, Mewtwo is being programmed and developed right now and is to be released next year, so that should answer your question.

So how is everyone's online experience? I've started seeing a wider variety of characters. Got my ass kicked by a couple falcos and it was beautiful. Been using Pac man. He's super fun.

PMJ said:
So how is everyone's online experience? I've started seeing a wider variety of characters. Got my ass kicked by a couple falcos and it was beautiful. Been using Pac man. He's super fun.
Pac-Man is pretty darn good in this game, but he's sadly not as much fun as I'd like him to be. Far too reliant on B-moves and camping if he's to be used effectively (the same reason I don't really like using Mega Man, despite him being awesome as well). Of all the newcomers, only Palutena seems like a lot of fun to me. She has some nice and varied aerials, good air speed, low landing lag, awesome Up-Smash and some great approach and movement options. I'm waiting until I can play with a GameCube controlled before really trying to learn any new characters, though. So far I've only really used Puff (of course), with a bit of Sheik and Doc because they transfer decently from Melee where I use both as kind-of-secondaries.

About my online experience... everyone's been getting worse somehow lately, but that might just be back luck on my part. I've fought 7 or 8 opponents of around equal or greater skill with whom I've played quite a few matches, but most people online fall into 1 of 3 categories:
1) The beginner: doesn't know that the shield button exists, what tilts are, and often messes up even the simplest of recoveries (there are other options than up-B?! :0).
2) The For Glory expert: abuses slight lag to spam low-cooldown smashes and/or rolls, which will take down players of the previous category with ease, but the strategy is otherwise horribly punishable. Tends to ragequit after game 1 because all they care about is their invisible win percentage.
3) The raised-by-CPUs: they know what moves work, they know when to shield, etc. The only problem is that they're attuned to either the above 2 categories or to CPUs, which means they rely not on reading the opponent or avoiding punishes, but simply on trying to get a hit in. With CPUs having near-perfect timing but being unable to notice spammy moves or punish effectively, this is a good strategy against them. Not so much against decent human players.

I've been trying to get my win percentage as low as possible by immediately quitting when faced with #1 or #2 and by not allowing myself to quit when I'm losing or almost losing against someone. So far I'm at around 75%, 80% for the last 100 matches. Most of my losses are against the 7 or 8 players mentioned above (3 or which were able to beat me consistently, against the others I went around 50-50), and a quick calculation shows that I've probably 2-stocked people more often than I've lost against players. Can't say I'm terribly impressed with For Glory, but it's fun enough to relax with occasionally. If only it weren't all Final Destination...

Other For Glory observations:
- After having been 2-stocked by a Jigglypuff, a lot of players, no matter what character they've been using, will switch to Robin or less frequently Zamus or Shulk. After they get 2-stocked again they'll usually quit. It's like they think whatever character they've been using is obviously counted pretty hard by Jiggs, but those 3 characters can tip the scales in their favour. I've actually had someone cycle through all 3 after losing to me with Little Mac, only to quit afterward.
- Little Macs online are horrible, leading me to believe most people really don't know how to handle them. They're also most likely to ragequit.
- Other than Little Mac, facing an Ike, Sonic, or Shulk will often mean you're fighting an inexperienced player. Sonic's actually pretty good in this game, though, which is horribly frustrating.

Also, kids: don't quit when you're losing. It's the best learning opportunity you'll get. If you don't wanted to get better, why are you playing For Glory in the first place?

PMJ said:

I've been trying hard to play for glory but I feel like it's lag central in the middle of the day because everyone's on

Online is good for what it is, but I find I don't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would. A good number of the matches are laggy (and I do have a pretty good connection) and it just isn't as fun fighting random strangers without being able to engage in banter/trash talk. :p Maybe the Wii U version will be better in this regard (especially since I'll be able to use a wired connection), plus I look forward to sharing the stages I make in the stage builder with other people.

Back