+ First attack not reliant on being damaged
+ Second attack doesn't require a discard
+ can OHKO Pokemon-EX with LaserBank and all stage 2s without it
+ can Combustion Blast straight from the hand with Blacksmith + DCE

- two prizes on ko
- Mewtwo/Yveltal eat him for lunch

Reshiram:

+ only one prize on ko
+ Can attack from the hand without Blacksmith, just drop a DCE and you're good to go
+ Strong against Mewtwo/Yveltal due to low Energy count after a Blue Flare
+ Synergy with Grenade Hammer if you so choose

- Needs to be damaged to be effective
- Easy to ko after a Grenade Hammer

If you really, really need to grab the KO on a guy who's weak to fire, I think I'd go for Reshiram. Blue Flare will kill anything you need it to, it puts fires back in the discard if you wanna Blacksmith them onto something else, it leaves you less susceptible to being revenged by the ball brothers, and only giving up a single prize is pretty great.

RE: Seismitoad EX / Garbodor

I would use this with either pyroar or victini honestly. If you go with victini then there's more space so you can play reshiram too. Charizard ex is bad in this deck IMO. You're not going to be messing with blacksmith in this deck, and it takes too long to power up otherwise.

^

Victini + Victory Piece seems like the most practical solution to Genesect/Virizion.

I forgot that even existed. I was so focused on answering the question that I didn't think that there might be other, better options.

If you're willing to sacrifice your ace spec for Victory Piece, then yes, Victini-EX is a fine choice.

I think Charizard is the best option between it, Victini EX, and Reshiram. I've never really liked Reshiram, as it's not that hard to play around these days. Most Vir/Gens play either Beartic or Mewtwo, which are decent enough against a Reshiram if you just send it up and let it get hit by Emerald Slash. And once a Genesect gets set up, forget about it. Reshiram won't be doing anything. Victini can be KOed by Megalo Cannon + Muscle Band, or Igloo Hold + Muscle Band (Float Stone can help you survive that one), which is just dreadful. A counter shouldn't die just as fast as the thing it's trying to counter (assuming they're both EX's). It's Energy requirement is just as high as Charizard's Wing Attack, so Victini never really did work for me honestly.

Charizard doesn't need Fire Energy to work, unlike Victini. Wing Attack with Muscle Band and a Laser (with Garbodor in play) KOs Virizion and Genesect in one hit. It also doesn't even die to Beartic in one hit. Sure, it does a lot of damage, but at least it takes 2 turns to kill. If you decide to play Fire Energy over Water, Combustion Blast is a nice finisher attack to clean up the game with, since Seismitoad (without Waters) and Mewtwo aren't all that strong.

This deck should be illegal. It can do a Turn 1 trainer lock if you opponent goes first. Then on Turn 2 it can shut down all abilities. This deck pretty much takes every deck in the format and screws with it. They thing about this deck is that it is a slow kill. Turn after turn you are sitting there analyzing what resources you have, but you can't use them. This deck is the most effective lock ever. This deck along with VirGen and Fighting.dec decide the Tier list. If you have an alright matchup against these decks you are solid if not you are going to have a bad time. If you can build this deck you are golden. It is a good deck to learn playing because it isn't going to be bad anytime soon.

Also you can have Pyroar in here which is the Trinity of OP cards.

Thanks a lot to all of you for all the info. It really helped a lot. Decided to do some play testing with Charizard since he can survive one attack from Beartic and he's more useful against other stuff apart from the Vir/Gen Matchup compared to Reshiram.

I got 3 toads and i want to build a deck around that card what do you guys think is the best Seismitoad-Ex variant right now?

Personally, I'm excited about reassembling my Seismitoad-Charizard-Reshiram deck and include some PhF card techs. Looking forward to the upcoming LCs.

Seismitoad EX/Garbodor gets so many toys to play with in Phantom Forces. Both Team Flare Tools, Enhanced Hammer. Combine that with Crushing Hammers and Team Flare Grunts and you got a truly annoying deck.

Yeah built the deck online with hammers and flare tools and it is actually pretty good, I also put in virbank and lasers to further annoy my opponent.

Here's my current Seismitoad EX/Garbodor decklist, it does really well. I found Charizard EX a better Virgen counter since it does 160 with band so all it needs it 10 damage from a laser to OHKO a Virizion EX, Genesect EX or even the odd Heracross EX. Feel free to ask any questions.

gfItV5X.jpg

Pretty solid looking list. From your previous post, I take it you're planning to add the Flare Hyper Gear and Hammers to the deck? I think those cards will make this deck extremely powerful in the coming format. Straight Seismitoad's weakness has always been the low damage output compared to Yveltal, Virgen, and Fighting, but with the insane amount of disruption that Phantom Forces granted it, I can see something very powerful. Being able to Item and Ability lock your opponent, in addition to energy denail and increasing energy costs will devastate plenty of decks, even VirGen. Getting three energy on a Virizion-EX slows VirGen down considerably, and that will let Charizard swoop in and take KOs easily. I'm expecting to see a lot of this come Cities.

My Little Keldeo said:
Pretty solid looking list. From your previous post, I take it you're planning to add the Flare Hyper Gear and Hammers to the deck? I think those cards will make this deck extremely powerful in the coming format. Straight Seismitoad's weakness has always been the low damage output compared to Yveltal, Virgen, and Fighting, but with the insane amount of disruption that Phantom Forces granted it, I can see something very powerful. Being able to Item and Ability lock your opponent, in addition to energy denail and increasing energy costs will devastate plenty of decks, even VirGen. Getting three energy on a Virizion-EX slows VirGen down considerably, and that will let Charizard swoop in and take KOs easily. I'm expecting to see a lot of this come Cities.

Even without Enhanced Hammer that deck will be potent with the Flare Tools. Besides Xerosic there is no means to detach them under item lock and both Yveltal and Mewtwo even benenfit from the disruptive gear.

I plan on adding Enhanced Hammers and the Team Flare Tools for sure, if I want to make it even more annoying I'd add Team Flare Grunts, Crushing Hammers and Xerosics.

Bobmcdoogal said:
I plan on adding Enhanced Hammers and the Team Flare Tools for sure, if I want to make it even more annoying I'd add Team Flare Grunts, Crushing Hammers and Xerosics.
A Poké pal and I have had discussions about our respective Seismitoad deck lists, reviewing both positives and negatives of our builds. His build is very similar to yours. I personally lean towards utilizing 2 Reshirams and 'Zard EXs in mine. Needless to say, "theorymon-ing" during lunch has great advantages....

Given your list above - which I do like (especially the Bicycles - root of one of our debates - lol), what do you plan to replace with PhF cards and why (i.e., the particular cards in your current deck list)? Thanks.

TuxedoBlack said:
Bobmcdoogal said:
A Poké pal and I have had discussions about our respective Seismitoad deck list, reviewing both positives and negatives of our builds. His build is very similar to yours. I personally lean towards utilizing 2 Reshirams and 'Zard EXs in mine. Needless to say, "theorymon-ing" during lunch has great advantages....

Given your list above - which I do like (especially the Bicycles - root of one of our debates - lol), what do you plan to replace with PhF cards and why (i.e., the particular cards in your current deck list)? Thanks.

To be honest, I don't know ATM. I usually wait to The Top Cut on Youtube to make a list, I use that then tweek it.

Hello everyone, new poster but I've lurked for a while.

I'm currently building this deck — mostly in line with the deck list on the 1st page — with a couple of Charizards as my counter to VirGen decks should I come across them. I have some questions though.

So far I've been weighing up the pros and cons of using either 6 Fire energy or 6 Water. I'm not really seeing the benefit of Grenade Hammer if I'm charging a Mewtwo on the bench, and having a Charizard EX Fire Blast (for 150 damage, 170 with muscle band) might be a useful crutch (if say either I am unable to Laser for a Grenade Hammer kill, I am unable to charge a Mewtwo, or if my benched Pokemon have too much damage and a Hammer might give my opponent a winning kill). What do you guys think?

Should you opt for Fire instead of Water, do you think it worthwhile sacrificing the Mewtwos entirely and grabbing a Victini EX or two (for setup), and another Charizard and using the 'Zards as my main source of damage-dealing?

Also, I'm curious as to whether you think a single Jirachi EX would be a worthwhile addition to the deck as it can be a useful turn 1/2 card or a lategame turnaround.

Peanus said:
Should you opt for Fire instead of Water, do you think it worthwhile sacrificing the Mewtwos entirely and grabbing a Victini EX or two (for setup), and another Charizard and using the 'Zards as my main source of damage-dealing?
Personally, I decided to stay with running R energy in my deck version for several reasons, including benefits from such cards as Battle Compressor, Blacksmith, and Reshiram (Outrage), etc. I do not run Victini EX either since Blacksmith is a much better option, IMO. I also feel that Mewtwo EX is still an excellent attacker and run 1 in my deck.

Peanus said:
Also, I'm curious as to whether you think a single Jirachi EX would be a worthwhile addition to the deck as it can be a useful turn 1/2 card or a lategame turnaround.
Although I've seen the usefulness of playing this Jirachi EX, I prefer NOT to run it since it just takes up a bench spot later and is a HUGE, easy, 2-prize target for my opponent. Lastly, it is definitely not a good starting Poke at all.

So is Charizard EX a better option than Pyroar? Pyroar seems like a no brainer against VirGen no?

Back