New Holos Are Bland

Diancie

Aspiring Trainer
I've been watching a lot of Booster Box opening videos and looking at peoples collections.

Is it me or do the holos nowadays don't really look holo? I mean if you look back on some of the older holo cards they look amazing.

These newer cards holo have a very generic shine to them and sometimes you can't even tell there holo cards.

I collect the 1st gen and 2nd gen cards and I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to collect the newer cards. Now I am a huge fan of the X & Y show and even play X & Y game.

:(

RE: New Holo's are bland

The new holofoil scheme seems bland because it doesn't include any pattern (unlike the lined holofoil of the BW era, or the Galaxy foil of the earlier series). That said, it's not entirely a bad thing. Whereas the lined foil stood out in the artwork, the XY foil makes the artwork stand out. This is especially apparent with cards with 3D artwork, but is not at all lost on others.

In my opinion, it's actually quite nice because it's bland. It does what holofoil really should do, and that's complement the existing artwork. On certain cards (e.g. Delphox XY) it really looks great.

That said, not everyone likes it. As far as I can tell, most people around here seem to favorite the galaxy foil. But that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy the other types.

Agreed that the XY pattern is bland. I even thought the BW line holo pattern, which a lot of people seem to hate, was better than this one.

I'm actually a big fan of the current holographic foil. I think the simplicity makes for an overall more attractive card than the modern-day cosmos holofoil. That being said, I do also like the BW-era foil pattern and will always have fondness for the cosmos holofoil of the early era.

I definitely prefer the Black and White holo to this one, sometimes I'll check online to see if a reverse I have is a holo or not and I can't tell on the new cards. Also there weren't very many holos in Furious Fists, I've only bought 20 something pack and already own all but 2 of the holos availABLE> Why wasn't Sylveon holo? Very strange.

Its prolly bland to cut down on production costs but its better than no holo cards anymore

Maserati777 said:
I definitely prefer the Black and White holo to this one, sometimes I'll check online to see if a reverse I have is a holo or not and I can't tell on the new cards. Also there weren't very many holos in Furious Fists, I've only bought 20 something pack and already own all but 2 of the holos availABLE> Why wasn't Sylveon holo? Very strange.

Sylveon is a holo in the theme deck, that's why the set version is non-holo.

OT: I prefer the first holo style used in the original sets. It looks better than the other styles used post-WC, imo.

Japan does this thing where they put the holo on the border and I think it works better then the English holo. In a lot of recent holo cards the Pokemon are so big that the holo parts are small, and with the design they use you can't even tell they are holo cards.

I think it works on cards where the Pokemon don't take up the whole background, or where it looks like light shining down, like the sun is out of shot. I think Phantom Forces is the first set where I don't really care for any of the holos.

It probably has to do with the cost of ink and if they use toner ink jet the toner can cost an upwards of $!,000.00 depending on the type of printing methods they use to print the cards. They may have had to change toner ink due to the cost to print the cards. It is better than raising the price of the cards which they did when the 4th gen cards first came out. To avoid this they may have had to use a lower quality toner. It is sad but they have to do something. They either cut back or we pay more.:(

Without a doubt, the ex era had the best Reverses!!!! Still, as far as standard Holos go, they are all pretty good. My personal favorites are the Galaxy Holos and the Sheen Holos.

I miss the starry holos from the old days of the TCG. I think the current holos don't look nearly as impressive, which the obvious exception of full arts and Pokemon-EX that appear to be bursting out of the card. However, it seems they're going back to cross-stich holos for League promos again, as yesterday I earned a PRofessor's Letter of this type. I also saw some holo Lightning energy in the box, but there was onl one pack of them (not enough to give to everyone), so my League Leader doesn't know what to do with them yet. It's been a while since we've seen anything other than a "Sheen" holofoil, so this is a nice little boon.

The starry holos don't go well with the new CGI artwork nowadays. Take for example the promo blisters for the Legendary 3 Musketeer trios. It just didn't seem to fit. It added more to the reason I hate the 3D CGI artwork.

I don't mind the new holos but they've been kinda bumming me out. I usually like looking at my cards and seeing how they sparkle and when I look at these... eh... I ended up selling a lot of BW and XY holo cards. I realized I only kept them so I wouldn't feel glum about my pulls but I still do. I rarely own any holos from BW and XY now...wish I spent more time during the ex era, especially Legend Maker because, pretty much every pack had a holo, cause those reverses were pretty much holo but with the logo slapped on it which I'm fine with.

The best and I mean best holos were the Base Set the Jungle Set and the Fossil set. Any newbies that have not seen these cards look these cards up online because you guys missed out on some really impressive cards back from the first 3 sets.:)

I really like the new Full Art designs, imo they look great, although if you don't get an EX or something special like a FA, the holos are pretty dire. One of my favourite cards that I had was this one Gardeviour EX sadly I don't have it anymore, but I remember looking at this a lot as it was really awesome, that style of holo was great imo. I still have some of my fossil set, I think they're alright, but when they started to do really outlandish effects it was a nice look.

Back