• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

BCR-on Virizion EX / Genesect EX

avalanche3387

Aspiring Trainer
I'm pretty experienced by now, but want help on some tweaks for the BCR on format.

Pokemon:

• 3 Virizion EX
    3 Genesect EX
    2-2 Beartic (Furious Fists)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 1 G-Booster
    4 Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    2 Shadow triad
    1 Lysandre
    1 Pokemon Fan Club
    1 Energy Retrieval
    1 Professor's Letter
    2 Colress Machine
    2 Startling Megaphone
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Energy Switch
    3 Switch
    2 Bicycle
Energy:

• 1 DCE
    4 Plasma
    10 Grass

Strategy:
The standard Virizion Genesect archetype. My only real difference is using Beartic to counter both Pyroar and Landorus. It doesn't counter Pyroar, but it might give me a chance against it at least. I expect to see a lot of Seismitoad in the upcoming format and I will feast on those I think.

Fan club I have to help my Seismitoad match up even more. Lysandre I like as a one-of so I can attach an energy and still catcher, call up a Garbodor, or for when I don't have a plasma energy. One DCE for surprise factor on Beartic and a single discard to stream G Booster. Colress Machine helps with the same or also an early game retreat to get turn 2 Emerald Slash. Can get a turn 2 Megalocannon or even G Booster too. I need a bunch of Grass Energy since Super Rod is now gone and I can burn through it quickly.

I can probably take out Plasma Frigate for sure. It's a throw in right now. Others I'm not sure about are the Startling Megaphones, Colress Machine, and the DCE.

There's some things I think I could add, but I'm not sure about or not sure what to take out. Here's a list:
  • Jirachi EX
  • Another Virizion Ex
  • Draw Support (I feel like I need more)
  • Laser Bank
  • Mew EX or Mewtwo EX (hit Psychic weak pokemon)
  • Better counter stadium (Frigate is kinda a throw in right now)

RE: BCR-on Virizion/Genesect

You have a lot of energy in the deck right now. I would drop the DCE and drop the grass energy count 8 or 9 instead of 12. This opens up 4-5 card slots. You could add in Bicycles or a couple of colress, or you could put in some random recivers to help you get the N and junipers. Put Mewtwo EX in if you are going to throw one of those cards in. Mew EX is to fragile. I would also put in another Virizion EX.

Yeah my concern is that I'm going to run out of energy really quick without Super Rod. I think I would cut down to 10 energy at minimum since I have no way to get it out of the discard. I plan on taking this to Phoenix regionals in October so I want to do well and have the deck tweaked right. I do worry about people teching for it with the excellent showing at worlds.

My current deck has 4 virizion EX, 3 genesect EX, 1 Mewtwo EX and 3-3 Raichu. I also play a copy of sacred ash and a single copy of energy retrival, 9 grass and 4 plasma, in my deck just so i could plan for the rotation. Sacred ash and energy retrival could be benificial to you.

I am battling the same changes, avalanche. I'm not exactly sure what to do since Pyroar is so dominant and a great counter to our decks. However, I do believe Beartic is a great counter to Pyroar, because not only does he get to attack him where Vir/Gen doesn't, but it also is a OHKO against Pyroar for a mere two energy.

However, yesterday at league I saw a Pyroar deck running 4-4 Pyroar, 2 Mewtwo EX, 2 Seismitoad EX, 4 Lysandre and 4 Pokémon Catcher. It seemed like a great BCR-on counter-meta deck. He runs 4-4 Lysandre/Catcher to ensure he can bring up those Cubchoos (and other small basics) early and get rid of them before they can even think about evolving.

So that made me wonder, should I increase my 2-2 Beartic line to 3-3 (+Sacred Ash) or 4-4 to ensure he comes out and sticks around? Should I add in DCE and maybe even Evosoda for consistency? I've also been battling how many Skyla to use because while the original decklist I used ran 4, I do grow tired of drawing into it when I'd rather have another draw supporter (an unpopular opinion, I'm sure). And then there's Colress Machine. I normally don't run any because honestly I prefer to attach the Plasma Energy for Red Signal, but the energy acceleration is clearly important.

And then there's Plasma Frigate. While Skyarrow Bridge was decidedly the better choice for NXD-on, in BCR-on Plasma Frigate seems to be the runner up for now. I hope TPCI continues with element-themed sets (Flash Fire, Furious Fists, Phantom Forces, etc) so that we get a grass set to give us more options, but with Ruby and Sapphire coming out I'm not sure how long we'll get to enjoy that theme before we start getting cool new Hoenn cards. Anyways, Plasma Frigate conveniently gets rid of Genesect's weakness while also being a filler-stadium to get rid of an opponent's Virbank City Gym, Fighting Stadium, etc. Having Genesect only take 90 from Pyroar could be a life-saver, so I'm with you on that being the current go-to stadium, that is if you're not running Hypnotoxic Laser + Virbank City Gym. ;)

I know I have said a lot so far but haven't suggested much, but I am right there with you in trying to figure out what to do next. I plan on using Vir/Gen for a long time (especially since I got stuck having to order full-arts) so figuring out a way past our biggest weakness is important, otherwise every Pyroar match-up will just be considered an auto-loss.

I do like the damage output of Vir/Gen with Muscle Band, Deoxys, and Laser/Bank but then there's no answer to Pyroar in that build because it's so packed. :'(

-Edit-
I think this is what I'm looking at for now but I'm still not happy with it (much testing will need to be done)

3 Virizion EX
3 Genesect EX
3 Cubchoo
3 Beartic
1 Mewtwo EX

2 Plasma Frigate
1 G-Booster
4 Juniper
4 N
3 Skyla
2 Colress
1 Shadow Triad
1 Random Receiver (Jirachi replacement)
1 Sacred Ash
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Professor's Letter
1 Colress Machine
1 Startling Megaphone
2 Ultra Ball
3 Muscle Band
2 Energy Switch
2 Escape Rope

2 DCE
4 Plasma
9 Grass

I'll give energy retrieval a try, as well as more draw support. Thanks for the ideas folks.

Would you guys suggest adding a mewtwo for this upcoming format? Should I run three copies of switch?

RE: BCR-on Virizion / Genesect

Fixed my OP after a minor mishap and updated with some small changes. Any ideas on what else can be done?

avalanche3387 said:
Fixed my OP after a minor mishap and updated with some small changes. Any ideas on what else can be done?

Keep in mind that if your opponent has a Furious fists tyrantrum and one furious fist machamp, then one plasma energy to genesect means a chew up KO thanks to the fact that plasma energy is special energy, and survive a retaliation G-booster w/ a Focus Sash, and chew up again for two more prizes, putting the tyrantrum user on the brink of victory against your deck... Not to mention that if Fighting Stadium is up, Landorus can barely hit the magic 170 that will 1HKO Genesect-EX w/ sky lariat if Landorus is also holding a Muscle Band, and has two Machamps on bench, so if you want to change in order to ensure your deck can better handle the furious fists acceleration problem when it comes to machamp affecting other pokemons' damage output,the question regarding whether or not the Tyrantrum + focus sash swarm can chew up your deck could become irrelevant, as such changes to better counter damage acceleration can be made to counter it. But what changes will you make, if you decide to make changes at all? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I'm not the least bit worried about tyrantrum. I can play around the chew up by simply not attaching plasma energy. That and I hit them for weakness and I should be ok. I can also set up quicker than machamp so I'm not really scared about that either. Not that those are auto wins, but I like the matchup in my favor. Landy ex 2 shots with 1 energy is a much bigger worry to me.

I would suggest the following for your consideration:

• Adding 1-2 Mewtwo EX as Lucario EX, Machamp and Yveltal EX counters.
  • Incorporating a Lugia EX to "tilt" the prize trade-off in your favor.
  • Incorporating a Pal Pad in order to recover and recycle discarded Supporters, especially Lysandre. Note: Garbodor, IMO, will still be popular in this season.
  • A 3-3 Beartic line (or at least 3 Cubchoos) may proivde you stronger options against Pyroar decks. For example, players I know who run a Pyrorar deck, run a 4-4 line (and Sacred Ash). After your 2 Beartics are KOd, they would start KOing your EXs.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Yeah I want all of those things added. The problem is that I have nothing to really take out of the deck. There's no room to add any of this stuff.

As tuxedo black said, if they KO your beartic and you have used all your lysandres then you basically lost the game and should forfeit, so you should definitely run a couple of pal pads to recover cards.

Back