ORAS Team Magma / Team Aqua Discussion Thread

woohoo962

Aspiring Trainer
Mitja said:
woohoo962 said:
(You know i'm running out of ideas when I suggest Luvdisc.)

Especially in Hoenn, which is filled with Water pokes hehe :D

Like:
-Walrein (which even has a counterpart in Aggron for Magma)
-Tentacruel
-Golduck
-Starmie
-Wailord
-Gyarados
-Gorebyss/Huntail
-Whiscash
-Lanturn (especially with Primal Kyogre being so luminous)
-Azumarill

out of those, most people only think of Crawdaunt, which isn't even found at sea.
It doesn't need to be Dark. Even Magmas signature poke, Camerupt, isn't Dark. Heck Aqua already having Sharpedo, only makes Crawdaunt the least interesting choice of them all.

And again, the clear winner on that list is Wailmer.
By being a sig-move counterpart with Numel, and THE pokemon of Hoenns seas.

I'm still convinced the rosters likely won't change a bit though /:
Walrein: too late-game, and Magma using Aron/Lairon/Aggron has less chance than Plasma using Oshawott.
Tentacruel: assuming the hoenn dex doesn't change, we see ENOUGH of those things.
Golduck: they might use this, but im not sure.
Starmie: nah, maybe not. Starmie isnt a pokemon you'd find out in the open ocean.
Wailord: in emerald they DID use this, but its just too plain for a villainous team. Think Wurmple and Patrat for Galactic and Plasma,respectively.
Gyarados: I'm surprised no Aqua Grunts/Admins had this, but team aqua with magikarps...lol
Gorebyss/Huntail: Same deal as Gyarados, and team aqua with Clamperl...lol
Whiscash: Same problems as Starmie: it's not an"open ocean"pokemon.
Lanturn: Too late game.
Azumarill: seeing as how Team Flare had no fairies,sure, why not.

Out of these, the likeliest option would be either Crawdaunt(its because its the evilest),Gyarados and Huntail/Gorebyss, in that order.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
woohoo962 said:
Mitja said:
Especially in Hoenn, which is filled with Water pokes hehe :D

Like:
-Walrein (which even has a counterpart in Aggron for Magma)
-Tentacruel
-Golduck
-Starmie
-Wailord
-Gyarados
-Gorebyss/Huntail
-Whiscash
-Lanturn (especially with Primal Kyogre being so luminous)
-Azumarill

out of those, most people only think of Crawdaunt, which isn't even found at sea.
It doesn't need to be Dark. Even Magmas signature poke, Camerupt, isn't Dark. Heck Aqua already having Sharpedo, only makes Crawdaunt the least interesting choice of them all.

And again, the clear winner on that list is Wailmer.
By being a sig-move counterpart with Numel, and THE pokemon of Hoenns seas.

I'm still convinced the rosters likely won't change a bit though /:
Walrein: too late-game, and Magma using Aron/Lairon/Aggron has less chance than Plasma using Oshawott.
Tentacruel: assuming the hoenn dex doesn't change, we see ENOUGH of those things.
Starmie: nah, maybe not. Starmie isnt a pokemon you'd find out in the open ocean.
Wailord: in emerald they DID use this, but its just too plain for a villainous team. Think Wurmple and Patrat for Galactic and Plasma,respectively.
Gyarados: I'm surprised no Aqua Grunts/Admins had this, but team aqua with magikarps...lol

Out of these, the likeliest option would be either Crawdaunt(its because its the evilest),Gyarados and Huntail/Gorebyss, in that order.

I don't really see why Crawdaunt's Dark type would be any huge indicator towards Aqua using it.
Hell, if anything its a turn away, considering they already use Sharpedo, and two Pokemon of the same dual typing seems really redundant.

I think the only open ocean Pokemon that they're likely to get is Wailord... it does seem just a bit plain and blue but if you think about it... they already use Sharpedo, based on the shark, an animal which is pretty open ocean, and if the rumours/speculation about Sharpedo getting a Mega is correct then that would outshadow Crawdaunt even more.

I think its more appropriate to go through them as admins (and the grunts just use the base forms and whatever), as all 3 use Carvanha/Sharpedo in the originals.

Archie: already has Sharpedo
Shelly: I think a female Jellicent would work for her... if thats not in the updated hoenndex then a Tentacruel would give the same effect... her updated artwork looks like either could work for her
Matt: since he looks like a wrestler or some other fighter dude... I'd actually not be surprised if he ended up with a Poliwrath or something.

(I'll do magma tomorro, I need to sleep xD)

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
His Goominess said:
woohoo962 said:

I don't really see why Crawdaunt's Dark type would be any huge indicator towards Aqua using it.
Hell, if anything its a turn away, considering they already use Sharpedo, and two Pokemon of the same dual typing seems really redundant.

I think the only open ocean Pokemon that they're likely to get is Wailord... it does seem just a bit plain and blue but if you think about it... they already use Sharpedo, based on the shark, an animal which is pretty open ocean, and if the rumours/speculation about Sharpedo getting a Mega is correct then that would outshadow Crawdaunt even more.

I think its more appropriate to go through them as admins (and the grunts just use the base forms and whatever), as all 3 use Carvanha/Sharpedo in the originals.

Shelly: I think a female Jellicent would work for her... if thats not in the updated hoenndex then a Tentacruel would give the same effect... her updated artwork looks like either could work for her
Matt: since he looks like a wrestler or some other fighter dude... I'd actually not be surprised if he ended up with a Poliwrath or something.

I know this is almost impossible, but since Aqua are pirate-like, how about a Blastoise or a Samurott (cannons and swords)!? Or despite not having any connection to pirates (except for Captain Hook), how about Feraligatr? Marshtomp being the mud-fish doesn't seem to fit, Empoleon is too regal and Greninja...it could fit Shelly (it's so difficult remembering the names when they're still associated with the originals designs and not the updated)!

PS: Mega-Marshtomp totally fits the updated Matt, since both are now blue Hulks! U_U

Blob55

Aspiring Trainer
Leaf_Ranger said:
PS: Mega-Marshtomp totally fits the updated Matt, since both are now blue Hulks! U_U

It's sad, because in the Manga they made him cautious. Now he'll just be some generic muscle. :/

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Leaf_Ranger said:
His Goominess said:

I know this is almost impossible, but since Aqua are pirate-like, how about a Blastoise or a Samurott (cannons and swords)!? Or despite not having any connection to pirates (except for Captain Hook), how about Feraligatr? Marshtomp being the mud-fish doesn't seem to fit, Empoleon is too regal and Greninja...it could fit Shelly (it's so difficult remembering the names when they're still associated with the originals designs and not the updated)!

I don't think the evil team would get starter mons :/
Its a shame because M Swampert does really fit Matt like you said... but considering Archie's probably gonna Mega evolve something or other that makes it even more less likely :/
I think Poliwrath could fit him... but considering it was never in original Hoenn and we've just had it in X/Y that makes it seem like an unlikely candidate for ORAS.

I really hope that, if its in the updated hoenndex, Team Aqua use Inkay/Malamar.
Hell... give one to Shelly and I'll be happy.
Its an evil squid... whilst its not a water type I can see it fitting Aqua.

Leaf_Ranger

Blob55 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

It's sad, because in the Manga they made him cautious. Now he'll just be some generic muscle. :/

It's sad for all of them. To be evil and capable of evilness, one doesn't need to be dressed in flamboyant style and having black shadows beneath the eyes. I can't connect names to the new looks and they still seem akward, both in their looks, positions/stands and facial expressions. Add that to AS/OR still being remakes and not having an updated Emerald story and I still don't get who is behind all this and why.

His Goominess said:
Its a shame because M Swampert does really fit Matt like you said... but considering Archie's probably gonna Mega evolve something or other that makes it even more less likely :/
I think Poliwrath could fit him... but considering it was never in original Hoenn and we've just had it in X/Y that makes it seem like an unlikely candidate for ORAS.

I really hope that, if its in the updated hoenndex, Team Aqua use Inkay/Malamar.

Yeah, hence why I started by saying that's almost impossible, because evil teams having starters families hasn't been seen.
Well, if not Mega-Swampert, then just Swampert since it already seems like a menace.
One way to give Aqua any Water type Pokémon despite not being included in the Dex: an aquarium! Don't tell me that Archie wouldn't travel, capture or import Pokémon from foreign regions!? He had one in the manga, so give him one looking a way smaller version of the Marine Tube that links Humilau and Undella!
Yes, Inkay/Malamar, while not being Water, are based on squids and deserve to be part of the rooster.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Leaf_Ranger said:
His Goominess said:

Yeah, hence why I started by saying that's almost impossible, because evil teams having starters families hasn't been seen.
Well, if not Mega-Swampert, then just Swampert since it already seems like a menace.
One way to give Aqua any Water type Pokémon despite not being included in the Dex: an aquarium! Don't tell me that Archie wouldn't travel, capture or import Pokémon from foreign regions!? He had one in the manga, so give him one looking a way smaller version of the Marine Tube that links Humilau and Undella!
Yes, Inkay/Malamar, while not being Water, are based on squids and deserve to be part of the rooster.

I think that an aquarium is a definite must have for Aqua.
Hell... It would be super awesome to see their base be mainly aquatic and then there are land platforms, with Water Pokemon in the water, so the entire base is aquarium-esque.
Or... sudden thought: since the Abandoned Ship seems to definitely be bigger/more than just a ship... what if the Aqua base was actually built into it?!
(then before we actually need to go properly into the base as part of the story we could only access a smaller section with the Scanner and all that jazz)

Then there could be a super awesome fight with a room filled mainly with water, and Archie on one side and the player on the other, and they fight on the water....
Then for the Magma base there could be lava pools with small paths across them.

I really want to see Archie/Maxie actually catch Kyogre/Groudon and use their Primal Reversions in the final battle... maybe thats what their Key Stones are for, and not for the speculated Mega Camerupt/Sharpedo.
edit: looking at the trailer, it looks like Primal K/G are in a pool of water/lava respectively... ie the Cave of Origin ie they're still gonna be a wild battle :/

Chespin777

Spikey shield!
Blob55 said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

I like the new designs of the Magma&Aqua admins, Matt used to be fat in the Manga series, and Tabitha was muscular. They reversed, and twisted their physical appearance when they redesigned them. Except for the girl admins. I have to say Tabitha from the manga in appearance was better, than the new one. But that doesn't matter I just hope they give them more role, and fleshed out personality.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Chespin777 said:
Blob55 said:

I like the new designs of the Magma&Aqua admins, Matt used to be fat in the Manga series, and Tabitha was muscular. They reversed, and twisted their physical appearance when they redesigned them. Except for the girl admins. I have to say Tabitha from the manga in appearance was better, than the new one. But that doesn't matter I just hope they give them more role, and fleshed out personality.

I actually really like Shelly's redesign.
Archie's new outfit makes him look more like a pirate... I did like his old look which reminded me of a mob leader or something, but I think his new one is more suited to him.

The Magma ones look better than the old ones, but they're not really appealing to me.

Chespin777

Spikey shield!
Why there are fans still believe that team Magma&Aqua rosters will be changed? This is a remake, naturally it will be the same judging from the screenshots. The mega stones, on both Maxie, and Archie articles, are likely to be relevant for primal Groudon&Kyogre, the screenshots that feature both primal Groudon&Kyogre, shows both are being used in a trainer battle.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Chespin777 said:
Why there are fans still believe that team Magma&Aqua rosters will be changed? This is a remake, naturally it will be the same judging from the screenshots. The mega stones, on both Maxie, and Archie articles, are likely to be relevant for primal Groudon&Kyogre, the screenshots that feature both primal Groudon&Kyogre, shows both are being used in a trainer battle.

Because Magma was too reliant on Numel/Camerupt and Aqua on Carvahna/Sharpedo for elemental Pokemon, so fans want them to have a more updated roster with more Fire/Water Pokemon respectively.
I want each admin to have their own signature Pokemon, just so all the different admin battles don't seem like carbon copies of each other

I really hope that Archie has a Mega Sharpedo and Maxie has a Mega Camerupt, but I equally hope they actually use Primal Kyogre/Groudon in battle.

Chespin777

Spikey shield!
His Goominess said:
Chespin777 said:

Because Magma was too reliant on Numel/Camerupt and Aqua on Carvahna/Sharpedo for elemental Pokemon, so fans want them to have a more updated roster with more Fire/Water Pokemon respectively.
I want each admin to have their own signature Pokemon, just so all the different admin battles don't seem like

I really hope that Archie has a Mega Sharpedo and Maxie has a Mega Camerupt, but I equally hope they actually use Primal Kyogre/Groudon in battle.

So, what kind of signature Pokemon for each admin, you're hoping to see?

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Chespin777 said:
His Goominess said:
I want each admin to have their own signature Pokemon, just so all the different admin battles don't seem like

Well, some Pokemon for Aqua that could be used:
-Gyarados (I'm thinking for Matt... his first battle would just be able to have one)
-Malamar (I know it's not water, but it is a squid... plus it gives them some type diversity)
-Eelektross (like Malamar, its not Water but it is based on an aquatic creature and gives them type diversity)
-Jellicent (Shelly could use one of these... hell, any of the ones I've put could fit her)

I think out of all of these, Malamar is the least likely to be in the game, as we've just had it in X/Y, whereas the Tynamo and Frillish lines were unavailable in X/Y without transporting them from B/W.

A few for Magma:
-Slugma/Magcargo (I'm surprised they didn't use these in the originals)
-Rhyhorn line (I've always thought Magma was more of a ground type thing as opposed to fire... making more land etc., but was portrayed as Magma because it made more of an opposites thing to Water... hell, Groudon, the Pokemon they want to use to achieve their wishes is a Ground type, not a Fire type)
-Flygon (see above)

Chespin777

Spikey shield!
His Goominess said:
Chespin777 said:

-Gyarados (I'm thinking for Matt... his first battle would just be able to have one)
-Malamar (I know it's not water, but it is a squid... plus it gives them some type diversity)
-Eelektross (like Malamar, its not Water but it is based on an aquatic creature and gives them type diversity)
-Jellicent (Shelly could use one of these... hell, any of the ones I've put could fit her)

I think out of all of these, Malamar is the least likely to be in the game, as we've just had it in X/Y, whereas the Tynamo and Frillish lines were unavailable in X/Y without transporting them from B/W.

A few for Magma:
-Rhyhorn line (I've always thought Magma was more of a ground type thing as opposed to fire... making more land etc., but was portrayed as Magma because it made more of an opposites thing to Water... hell, Groudon, the Pokemon they want to use to achieve their wishes is a Ground type, not a Fire type)
-Flygon (see above)

It's a 3rd gen remake that utilises Pokemons from it's own regional Dex. Could you explain to me how the heck are they gonna include modern Pokemons as a roster to be used in a remake? This will mess up the regional Dex system, and it won't feel as a remake. I forgot to mention that this month's Corocoro scan showcased the gym leaders, and their powerhouse Pokemons. Gym leader Wattson is still using Magneton from the original Ruby&Sapphire, in Emerald they included Manectric as his powerhouse Pokemon. So, this is a confirmation that their rosters will be the same as the originals.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Chespin777 said:
His Goominess said:

A few for Magma:
-Flygon (see above)

It's a 3rd gen remake that utilises Pokemons from it's own regional Dex. Could you explain to me how the heck are they gonna include modern Pokemons as a roster to be used in a remake? This will mess up the regional Dex system, and it won't feel as a remake. I forgot to mention that this month's Corocoro scan showcased the gym leaders, and their powerhouse Pokemons. Gym leader Wattson is still using Magneton from the original Ruby&Sapphire, in Emerald they included Manectric as his powerhouse Pokemon. So, this is a confirmation that their rosters will be the same as the originals.

I forgot to mention this month's Corocoro also confirmed that the Hoenn dex will be updated.
Hell, its been confirmed that Phoebe is gonna be using a Dusknoir as opposed to Dusclops. (and hopefully Glacia will get something that isn't Snorunt or Spheal).
edit: and in any case, they didn't show the leaders entire roster. Their main being the same is expectable, but just because they're the same it doesn't mean that we can just jump to conclusions that everything about their teams will be 100% exact.
And we haven't even seen any Team Aqua/Magma battle screens. You're making an assumption based on a few Pokemon used by Gym Leaders.

I mean, the way that ORAS are looking to be copy/paste remakes then I wouldn't be surprised if Team Aqua/Magma stayed exactly the same... Hopefully they aren't though.

Leaf_Ranger

His Goominess said:
Leaf_Ranger said:

Hell... It would be super awesome to see their base be mainly aquatic and then there are land platforms, with Water Pokemon in the water, so the entire base is aquarium-esque.
Or... sudden thought: since the Abandoned Ship seems to definitely be bigger/more than just a ship... what if the Aqua base was actually built into it?!
(then before we actually need to go properly into the base as part of the story we could only access a smaller section with the Scanner and all that jazz)

Then there could be a super awesome fight with a room filled mainly with water, and Archie on one side and the player on the other, and they fight on the water....

I really want to see Archie/Maxie actually catch Kyogre/Groudon and use their Primal Reversions in the final battle... maybe thats what their Key Stones are for, and not for the speculated Mega Camerupt/Sharpedo.
edit: looking at the trailer, it looks like Primal K/G are in a pool of water/lava respectively... ie the Cave of Origin ie they're still gonna be a wild battle :/

If Aqua's base was set inside or connected to the Abandoned Ship one thing is for sure: the blocking method to prevent the player early access couldn't be Dive or else the whole Submarine theft would be somewhat pointless...that said, I always fough stupid how Team Aqua couldn't use Dive (is it some treasure TM? lol)!

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
Leaf_Ranger said:
His Goominess said:

If Aqua's base was set inside or connected the Abandoned one thing is for sure: the blocking method to prevent the player early acces couldn't be Dive or else, the whole Submarine theft would be somewhat pointless...that said, I always fough stupid how Team Aqua couldn't use Dive (is it some treasure TM? lol)!

Forgot about Dive... xD
I guess that if the Abandoned Ship does turn out to have some connection to the Aqua Base they might just have to have a grunt standing in the way of the entrance until its actually required to go in there... that does seem dull but its the only way I can think of that makes sense.

Leaf_Ranger

His Goominess said:
Forgot about Dive... xD
I guess that if the Abandoned Ship does turn out to have some connection to the Aqua Base they might just have to have a grunt standing in the way of the entrance until its actually required to go in there... that does seem dull but its the only way I can think of that makes sense.

Better yet, let's call this guy:
Old_man.png

:p:D

Chespin777

Spikey shield!
His Goominess said:
Chespin777 said:

I forgot to mention this month's Corocoro also confirmed that the Hoenn dex will be updated.
Hell, its been confirmed that Phoebe is gonna be using a Dusknoir as opposed to Dusclops. (and hopefully Glacia will get something that isn't Snorunt or Spheal).
edit: and in any case, they didn't show the leaders entire roster. Their main being the same is expectable, but just because they're the same it doesn't mean that we can just jump to conclusions that everything about their teams will be 100% exact.
And we haven't even seen any Team Aqua/Magma battle screens. You're making an assumption based on a few Pokemon used by Gym Leaders.

I mean, the way that ORAS are looking to be copy/paste remakes then I wouldn't be surprised if Team Aqua/Magma stayed exactly the same... Hopefully they aren't though.

I'm not making assumptions, but I rather find the statements that people make here are biased to exaggeration. What they meant about the Hoenn Pokedex being upgraded, is that the 3rd gen Pokemons, that have 4th gen evolutions, can be accessed in an early point of the remakes, rather than being accessible, in after post game content. Back in Ruby&Sapphire Pheobe had 2 Dusclops, and I see no problem giving her 1 Dusknoir, in her roster, kind of an update. So, the Hoenn Pokedex will have 4th gen evolutions for some 3rd gen Pokemon in the updated Hoenn regional Dex, we'll see Pokemons such as Gallade, Roserade, Probopass, Frosslass, Rhyperior, Magnezone. Afterall the Aforementioned Pokemons, and their pre-evolutions are in the Hoenn regional dex, people have some logic, it's a "REMAKE!", they won't include modern generation pokemon or update the roster in the early point of the game, unless the 3rd gen Pokemon that are local to Hoenn, have a modern evolution.

TrainerLoganPoke

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly since It is a remake in 6th gen I wouldn't be surprised if they beefed up the regional pokedex. Besides is anyone going to argue that it is bad they are adding more diversity?