General Rock & Mineral Discussion Thread - Post pictures of your collection or certain pieces you like!

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod
This is a thread for Lapidary topics, rock/mineral discussion and collection sharing.

To get the thread going, I'll start by posting a picture of some rough Demantoid (total 11.52cts) and a rough (however polished on the front) Watermelon Tourmaline (over 1200cts!) pieces I own! :D

IMG_2541_zps6adbf811.jpg

IMG_2542_zps4d011c67.jpg
IMG_2543_zps7731291e.jpg

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Rock and Mineral discussion thread. (post pictures of your collection or certain pieces you like!)

I have a bunch of small gemstones which I got from Toy Capsule Machines. I haven't collected any in a while though. I forgot their names but I have a wide variety of them. I heard they are supposed to have powers or something and that's why I collected a bunch of them to try them out for myself. Unfortunately I don't have any pics to show you.

ArceusTrainer

Arceus Collector
RE: Rock and Mineral discussion thread. (post pictures of your collection or certain pieces you like!)

I have read online about gemstones and their spiritual meanings that they give you positive energy and can be very helpfull in life situations in general just by having one in your pocket. This and Orgonite which basicly is a ''Homemade'' stone made up of gems/rocks and metals with the purpose of give out chi/life energy, not that I believe any this but it would be nice to give it a try.

This is when I got into gemstones in general and wanted to start a collection, yet I havent got any, but my favorite gemstone must be Amber
how cool isnt it that it can be 50 million year old insects in tree raisin n' they are yellow'ish orange which is my favorite color

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

I find it a little hard to believe that in the Middle Ages, people would grind up minerals, and ingest them as a way to gain their alleged powers or to prevent sickness.

Garnet also has an interesting history as well. Apparently people in the early 1600s used to shove small pieces of it up their nose to stop nosebleeds! :p (the factor behind it was that because Garnet is red, they believed that it absorbed the blood, causing the bleeding to stop)

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

Does anyone know if there is an official name for the Blue Turk mineral? I've searched everywhere and couldn't find a thing.

The-Kaiser

Starfleet Captain and Pokemon Trainer

Chalcedony or turquoise i guess you got a pic of it?

Brave Vesperia

Forum Smod
Forum Super Mod
Forum Mod

I don't own any, but I did see it on Game of Stones. (a TV show) I couldn't find a single picture of it on Google images.

Does anyone here have a subscription to or has anyone had a subscription to GIA's magazine, Gems and Gemology? I've been considering getting a years subscription, but right now $80 is a bit steep.

Delta

Selling colourful Pokemon to Celadon Game Corner
I follow a couple mineral blogs, just so I can have a reference if I ever end up needing them, but I have ended up liking the look of Fluorite. It's so cubist and future fantasy. I love that stuff.

tumblr_mjok2m7PL81qz4l3qo1_500.jpg

The-Kaiser

oooo now thats pretty ^_^

Heres pics of my recent finds:

1 Pyrite cube for 1$

1 Small Plant Fossil 1$

1 combo piece of : Tetrihedrite, Sphalerite (sp?), Pyrite, Quartz off ebay for 14$

1030162131.jpg 1030162132b.jpg 1030162132c.jpg

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
These are all so pretty!

I'm more into fossils than crystals myself. The only crystals I find are small quartz pebbles (mostly around the creek) and chert (in the driveway gravel). I did find a decent-size chunk of quartzite once, though (about the size of my fist). Not rare by any means (similar, though usually smaller, stones are commonly used in landscaping), but I thought it was cool. I've heard that Native Americans used these stones like hammers when making weapons (such as arrowheads).

OYGD9c7.jpg

I also found this crazy-looking thing. I thought it had to be a fossil with that kind of pattern, but it's actually a siderite nodule. The "alligator skin" texture was apparently formed by a process called dewatering (when the shell of the nodule cracks and gel seeps out of it). Not sure how rare they are (I can't find much info on them), but I think I read somewhere that Native Americans would carry these stones around as talismans for "good medicine."

UJ9Trjz.jpg

WbBOEdn.jpg

And even though I've already posted it in my fossil thread, I can't help but show-off my favorite find. Not my biggest or most-detailed fossil, but I longed to find an ammonite (the ancient shelled-squid that Omanyte was based on) ever since I discovered that we had fossils here. It was improbable since most of the local fossils are plants, but I just happened to notice this in the creek and thought... could it be!? So I had it looked at and it turned out to be a Goniatite, a small type of ammonite -- or ammonoid to be precise. Score!

6kYKSWD.jpg
thRsOVO.jpg

Back to crystals though, I certainly wouldn't mind having a big ol' deep green emerald. Not only is it my birthstone, but I've been fascinated by shiny/metallic green things (like certain beetles) since I was a little kid. I have a class ring from middle school with an emerald in it, but I'm not sure if it's real.

Last edited:

The-Kaiser

1105162235.jpg 1105162235a.jpg 1105162235b.jpg 1105162235c.jpg 1105162236.jpg 1105162236a.jpg

Bought this today for only 5$ :D

Wanted something like this since i was 10-11 nearly worth waiting 20 years for :)

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
View attachment 12311 View attachment 12312 View attachment 12313 View attachment 12314 View attachment 12315 View attachment 12316

Bought this today for only 5$ :D

Wanted something like this since i was 10-11 nearly worth waiting 20 years for :)
That's rainbow bismuth, right? I was actually going to post that as another one of my favorites. I know most specimens like these are lab-grown, but they look so cool -- it's like they came right out of a computer! I could imagine a real-life Porygon being made of this.

The-Kaiser

That's rainbow bismuth, right? I was actually going to post that as another one of my favorites. I know most specimens like these are lab-grown, but they look so cool -- it's like they came right out of a computer! I could imagine a real-life Porygon being made of this.

Yep ^_^ Similar specimens sell for 30-100+ on ebay actually and some or most come from Labs in Germany :)

The-Kaiser

Bought this off ebay from Peru a bit ago I saved one of the images from the listing for wallpaper uses later :)

its a Tetrahedrite Crystal Cluster :)

The-Kaiser

http://s175.photobucket.com/user/kaisernathan1701/library/Random Box of Rocks and Crystals

Bought a box of random rocks and stuff :) Mostly stuff from French Creek PA cept the nugget of Nickel thats not native to PA

Mostly Calcites but there's Green Mica, Quartz, Blue Quartz, very rough low quality Chalcopyrite, 1 or 2 pieces of Magnetite.

I plan on putting it all under my Long Wave UV light to see if any will glow. Someday i'll get a Short Wave UV as things glow more under it :)