AmiAmi Discussion

Riraito

BELIEVE in me Molly!
RE: AmiAmi Shipping

Boxes on Ebay are overpriced, no matter what shipping option on AmiAmi you use. A box is $25 and I usually use unregistered SAL (I'm poor, lol) which is only about 480 JPY (less than $5) for one box. I order them seperately because of customs, but I don't think they're that strict in the US.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Other than customs taking their time and once opening a box( I still have that resealing tape) I have not had issues.

CuriousCleffa

Aspiring Trainer

If I order 3 booster boxes with the accompanying deck, with EMS shipping, I shouldn't be worried about customs? I've never ordered from amiami, and I'm kinda worried about custom charges after reading forums.
Another thing, anyone know what the currency converter for Paypal costs? From USD to yen? Or would it be better to just call my bank about the purchase and try and use my card?
Thanks so much!

Shrike

Aspiring Trainer

There's no custom charges for stuff like this in the US, no matter what method you use. Those are EU countries that have to worry about it. Also, keep in mind that with AmiAmi the shipping you choose now isn't locked in, you can change at any time before your order is fulfilled and once they invoice you it then shows how much each method costs and you choose what you want before you pay.

Not sure about Paypal conversion vs the bank's, but I saw you can change how Paypal handles that and considered switching to using bank conversion but in the end I decided to just stick with Paypal's since there's no real way to know which is better *shrugs* At the moment it's very nearly 100 yen to $1, and if you want an exact value at any time you can use xe.com or just google (search for "100 jpy to usd" or such).

Shrike

Aspiring Trainer

Looked up my last order and no, doesn't seem to be a fee for this. I think there only is when you use the send money feature, rather than being invoiced from a business.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

CuriousCleffa said:
Oh! That's cool! Thanks!
And does paypal have a charge to convert my USD into yen for amiami?

It is built into the conversion rate. My last AmiAmi purchase it was "1 USD = 98.8398 JPY". Also your credit card company will charge you for an overseas purchase, so using a bank account will save a bit.

Shrike

Aspiring Trainer

omahanime said:
CuriousCleffa said:
Oh! That's cool! Thanks!
And does paypal have a charge to convert my USD into yen for amiami?

It is built into the conversion rate. My last AmiAmi purchase it was "1 USD = 98.8398 JPY". Also your credit card company will charge you for an overseas purchase, so using a bank account will save a bit.

To clarify, it depends on the credit card. Mine doesn't have any FTF fees, but if yours doesn't advertise it loudly (it's a bit of a bid deal when they don't have it), you probably will be pinged with one.

ranma

Aspiring Trainer

Hello everyone!

I am new one here, but have been checking this site for quite some time now.

As I am returning back to collecting Pokemon cards I was looking for sites to buy cards. It seems that everyone like AmiAmi and after checking it out it really looks good.
My only question is:
- Do they list the price on the package like: item price + shipping costs together or are they separated from each other? This concerns me because of my country's customs charges (I live in Slovenia, EU). As long as the price will be listed separatley from the shipping costs I would have to pay none customs, otherwise I doubt that they will bother much to check how much the item is really worth. I believe they would just charge me those customs.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

ranma said:
- Do they list the price on the package like: item price + shipping costs together or are they separated from each other? This concerns me because of my country's customs charges (I live in Slovenia, EU). As long as the price will be listed separatley from the shipping costs I would have to pay none customs, otherwise I doubt that they will bother much to check how much the item is really worth. I believe they would just charge me those customs.

Shipping costs are not included on the customs form of the package at all. The forum will list out all of the contents of the package and the price of each but nothing else. Because shipping is a service, you do not have to pay customs fees for it.

BlastoiseRules1

Aspiring Trainer

Order from 3/29/2014
Shipping method SAL Small Packet (Unregistered) 1,080 JPY

Scheduled Release Unit Price Quantity Price Point Status
[CGM-4954] Pokemon Card Game XY Collection X BOX
mid Dec-2013 2,580 JPY 1 2,580 JPY 26 In-stock
[CGM-3588] Pokemon - Pokemon Card Game BW Expansion Pack Raiden Knuckle BOX
mid Dec-2012 2,580 JPY 1 2,580 JPY 26 In-stock
[CGM-3875] Pokemon Card Game BW Expansion Pack Megalo Cannon BOX
mid Mar-2013 2,580 JPY 1 2,580 JPY 26 In-stock
[CGM-5245] Pokemon Card Game Deck Case: Charizard
mid Mar-2014 300 JPY 1 300 JPY 3 In-stock
Total Quantity4
Subtotal8,040 JPY
Shipping1,080 JPY
Grand Total 9,120 JPY

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

That's from your confirmation e-mail, but that's different from what actually appears on the packaging of the box itself.

BlastoiseRules1

Aspiring Trainer

Athena said:
That's from your confirmation e-mail, but that's different from what actually appears on the packaging of the box itself.

That wasn't an email. That was directly from AmiAmi. Shipping was like $10-$11 via SAL Unregistered for 3 Booster Boxes and a Deck Box. :)

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

BlastoiseRules1 said:
That wasn't an email. That was directly from AmiAmi. Shipping was like $10-$11 via SAL Unregistered for 3 Booster Boxes and a Deck Box. :)

Sorry, a misunderstanding (I assumed you had copy/pasted that from your e-mail rather than typing it out). They do include that information your invoice in the package itself, of course. However, they don't actually have that written on the box on the custom's slip of the box itself, this part here, which is what impacts customs' fees and what the user was asking about. For customs purposes, t doesn't matter what's on the invoice but what's on the customs slip.

ranma

Aspiring Trainer

Thank you very much for quick answer!

I guess I'll dig right in then. I'll post my pulls later. Hope to stay part of this community, everyone seems so down to the earth. :)

beebahboo

Collector
Cancelling AmiAmi "Order"

I went to AmiAmi to see how much a booster box would cost (total).
I didn't realize that AmiAmi doesn't redirect to a paypal page or something, it just says thanks for your order, we'll email you for payment. I just wanted to find out a total cost, not place an order.
So, do I just not pay when I get the email?
Is there a way to cancel the "order?"

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
RE: Cancelling AmiAmi "Order"

From the AmiAmi FAQ:

FAQ said:
Q. Can you cancel my order/part of my order?
A. AmiAmi does not accept cancellations regardless of item stock status (in-stock, back-order, pre-order, etc.). Please only place orders for items you intend on purchasing.

AmiAmi does business differently from a traditional online retailer as they do not have automated payment forms, instead processing orders when matching with physical merchandise. If you want to know the total price of an order, you can add up your totals and guess on shipping costs based on their shipping rates table. AmiAmi will not calculate shipping costs until your order has been processed; I believe this is so they can weigh the exact product and make sure that shipping charges are correct.

They do have a Contact Form; if you use the form and explain the situation, they may be willing to cancel for you. You could always simply choose not to pay, I suppose, though that may make you unable to place further orders through them, unless you make a new account.

beebahboo

Collector

Thanks. I did read that they don't cancel orders.
I was going to message them once I got the invoice, but I followed the link you posted and sent a ticket explaining the situation.
Hopefully I don't have to make a new account...

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star

I reserved some Rising Fist stuff but haven't paid yet so I assume only when they're ready, they'll ask for payment. I dunno how long they'll wait before they cancel but I have always paid ASAP before they sell out.

...technically you might be able to just not pay... but if you don't they'll be pretty upset... you can let them know you are a first time buyer and they might make an exception.