XY RIP Generation 4 / 5 Wi-Fi (Termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service)

Trainerhan1

Chooses to not abandon his wagon.
http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?action=news&nid=3383&pageID=6
http://www.nintendo.com.au/termination-of-nintendo-wi-fi-connection

Feels bad. I was never able to play Conquest multi-player, and now I never will.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
RE: RIP Generation 4/5 Wi-Fi (Termination of Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service)

The nintendo.com.au websites aren't working for me, but here and here are a couple more articles for anyone who's interested in details. The termination will take place on May 20th, so there's still some time to get some multi-player goodness in while you still can.

I guess I'm not really all that surprised. Nintendo does seem to be much better than its competitors when it comes to past generational support, but even they have to draw the line somewhere. After all, the 3DS has been out for 3 years now. Active support of online system does require effort and money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...

Eight year run, pretty nice. But man, this hurts.

NINTENDO WFC BUCKET LIST:

• Goldeneye 007 -- 10 online matches -- 5 matches so far | I'm done, too many veterans!
  • Mario Kart Wii -- 10 online matches with official tracks, 10 on custom, a number with the PB community
  • Tetris Party Deluxe -- 10 online matches -- 5 matches so far | All against one veteran guy--I lost each match in like 35 seconds!
  • Wii Music -- Something! -- Actually, nothing (need Wii friends)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass -- Find someone to play some matches with! -- Did a worldwide search for 5 minutes, found no one.
  • Mario Kart DS -- 15 online matches! + Some with PB community -- 7 matches so far. I'll play more for history's sake, but man, the snakers. Nope, done. Bleh.
  • Mario Vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem -- Download highly rated stages -- Downloaded all the Nintendo levels and 4 sets of challenge levels.
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! -- Downloaded Nintendo's stages and highly rated stages.
  • Mega Man Star Force 1 + 2 + 3 -- 10 online matches in all three + Max out Brotherbands + A number with the PB community -- SF1 doesn't have online matchmaking, and SF2 and 3 are dead.
  • Picross DS -- Download highly rated stages -- Went with Mario's Super Picross. Man, that was arduous.
  • Pokemon
    • Diamond -- 5 GTS trades, 5 online matches, 5 trades with PB community, download Battle Tower stuff -- Downloaded Rank 01, Room 001.
    • Platinum -- Same as Diamond, plus 2 sessions in the Wi-Fi Plaza and really neat Battle Videos -- Downloaded Rank 01, Room 002. Uploaded Battle Video and stuff. Tried to do GTS, but I couldn't select my Pokemon to trade. :/
    • Heartgold -- Same as Platinum, but with more Wi-Fi Plaza sessions, and some Battle Frontier multi battles -- Downloaded Rank 01, Room 003. Did some Battle Video stuff. Spent like 10 minutes in the Wi-Fi Plaza, until I realized we were only 1/4 done with the session. ._.
    • Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky -- 7 online missions -- There was one mission available, and it was taken.
      • Explorers of Time -- Aside from the legendary dungeons, there were two missions available; snagged both.
  • WarioWare D.I.Y. -- Download highly rated microgames -- Packed pretty tightly, but done.
  • Dr. Mario Online Rx -- 10 online matches -- 9 were Classic, 1 was Flash. I lost most of them, but there were a couple matches that were thrown.
  • Excitebike World Rally -- 3 online matches -- Dead
  • Picross 3D -- Buy, and download highly rated microgames -- Downloaded all puzzles on two cartridges.
  • DS Professor Laytons -- Buy, and download all puzzles
  • Dragon Quest IX -- Buy, and download ALL the quests!
  • Black/2 -- Run a giveaway on PB and reddit. Giveaway stuff in Wonder Trade. Random Matchup. Fun stuff.
  • Scribblenauts -- Custom levels, apparently? -- Sharing is only available with friends.
  • Warioware D.I.Y Showcase -- Download microgames -- Packed tightly, but done.
  • Mario Vs. Donkey Kong 2 -- Download stages.
  • Do something with Metroid Prime Hunters. -- Did two online matches. That's enough.
  • Clubhouse Games -- Something -- Dead
  • Tetris DS -- Something -- Cartridge was fake. :(

Final day checklist:

• One or two more Goldeneye 007 matches.
  • A couple last MK Wii races, on vanilla and custom tracks.
  • Double check all content is downloaded on all games.
  • Make one last GTS trade in Diamond.
  • Do one more Random Matchup in Black 1.
  • Have one last bout in the Wi-Fi Plaza in Platinum.
  • Ride off into the sunset with the game that started it all, MK DS.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

You've still got all of March and April; plenty of time if you get at it! :p

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer

In the Gen 4 and Gen 5 Pokemon games you can still trade between 2 DS/3DS's you just won't be able to access the GTS for online battles and trades anymore. This also permanently stops cloned/hacked Pokemon from getting imported over to Gen 6 with Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter which will make it harder to get Perfect IV's for hard to obtain Legendaries unless Nintendo renews their distribution with Perfect IV's like they did with Celebi recently.

You can still import Pokemon from the Gen 4 and Gen 5 games over to Gen 6 with Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Transporter after May 20th where you'll still need to pay a yearly fee of $5 unless you decide to end the service once you're done importing for good since the 30 day free trial from February 5th to March 14th would have already ended by then. I feel like this recent move by Nintendo is going to push gamers who play on Wi-Fi for Gen 4 and Gen 5 into playing Pokemon Showdown more often or catch up with everyone else in Gen 6.

ShinyVincent

Clowns can eat you.

Lol, It`s not stop 'cloning and hacking' it will just keep going on Pokemon X and Y..But, I never play`d online on Diamond/Pearl/Platium/Black or even White. Only on B2 I did battle`s and trade's once in the moment..So, I think..I`ll miss it all little:/ But, we have X and Y now, so..I`m not gaming anymore on DS (I`m also not play DS games), on 3DS I play only 3DS Games.

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star

It stops people from being able to "download" Pokemon through their apps via DNS server alternating. That cuts off one source of hacked Pokemon.

I could never use the wifi features so this does not bother me. I couldn't figure out how to set up the DSi wifi settings.

I wonder if the prices for those games will finally drop

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member

Yeah this means I can't get my Pokemon cloned before trading or migrating anymore. People still use the online features. Why shut down service when we stiil use it? Does not make much sense XD.:)

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

xxashxx said:
Why shut down service when we stiil use it? Does not make much sense XD.:)

Because the service isn't free. Running the Wi-Fi connection requires time, money, manpower, and resources that could be better spent elsewhere, such as on the systems they are currently promoting (the 3DS and Wii U). Nothing lasts forever.

Also, keep in mind that the service will still be running through May 20th, which gives you almost 3 months to do whatever you want, so battle/clone/whatever away.

xDkoYx

I am CATBUG :D

Athena said:
xxashxx said:

Because the service isn't free. Running the Wi-Fi connection requires time, money, manpower, and resources that could be better spent elsewhere, such as on the systems they are currently promoting (the 3DS and Wii U). Nothing lasts forever.

Also, keep in mind that the service will still be running through May 20th, which gives you almost 3 months to do whatever you want, so battle/clone/whatever away.

Yes, it cost money. Apparently Nintendo had a contract with a company when gen 4 came out. All was fine a dandy until 2008 when a bigger coumpany bought over the server host nintendo was using. Nintendo still had their contract with the business meaning they couldn't cut off the gen 4 and 5 wireless. Until may 20th witch is the cut off date for the contract. If you'd like to see the reddit post I'll post it. Also if I can't post it I'll Pm the link to those who want to see it :)

Greninja

Challenger Approaching!

Although sad, this announcement gives us ample time to use it all up while we can.
Hopefully this helps boost Wii U/3DS sales a bit.

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member

If they want to keep it going all they have to do is renew the contract because if they made the games for online use and WAS meant for that in the first place there is no need or reason to cut that service off when they have enough money to keep that going and run gen 6 and beyond.:)

Drohn

Wild War Dance

I agree that it wouldn't make sense to keep this running forever, but I think it's a bit early. Generation 5 isn't that long ago and people still use it (I know I do). I still enjoy the Join Avenue (where I hatch all my eggs) and Pokémon Battles, which are very different from the new generation. It's nice to have them occasionally next to the generation 6 battles.

It's not a huge loss for me, but a few extra years would have been nice.

Chariblaze

When you add it all up...

So it's not the first time Nintendo has cut off online multiplayer!:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/mksc_j2e.shtml

MK%20Super%20Circuit%20Online%20Multiplayer.png

Boo! Boo on Nintendo for shutting down a probably-expensive-to-maintain network of early-2000's cellular technology that powered all of two games! Seriously though, that was only 16 months after release. Online multiplayer on GBA would have been crazy.

Last edited:

Eron

Is back as of March 24

I don't feel so bad for lossing them, but I never used them, well, I never could, I just used the GTS like 3-4 times. But it's still a loss, and well, we can't avoid it, I will maximize the use of Wi-Fi stuff in my other games.

xxashxx

Elite Member
Advanced Member

This also means I can no longer trade the nearly 2,000 events I have XD.:)

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star

2k event Pokemon? It's not even possible to have 1k in your PC... last I checked the max Pokemon you could have was 900. and if it was possible, all you would have to do is transfer them and then trade it through XY.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon

Athena said:
xxashxx said:

I know that it has costs but what bothers me and I ask: why can't they make one system that allows both old and new consoles, a system with retrocompatibility? Create a system that while introducing the mechanics for the new games/consoles, absorbs the old ones and can perhaps reduce costs while maintaining everyone happy?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member

Leaf_Ranger said:
I know that it has costs but what bothers me and I ask: why can't they make one system that allows both old and new consoles, a system with retrocompatibility? Create a system that while introducing the mechanics for the new games/consoles, absorbs the old ones and can perhaps reduce costs while maintaining everyone happy?

Maybe it could also make everyone pizza and style my hair, too, while we're at it?

What you're asking for simply isn't realistic from a company perspective. Backwards compatibility isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when you consider the massive advances in technology. It's also expensive to produce and maintain, and people are already complaining about rising costs in the video game industry while Nintendo's profits are so low (negative, actually, in the millions) that their executives voluntarily took a pay cut.*

The moral of the story is, you can't always get what you want. Especially if you're expecting someone else to work and pay for it (and getting no actual value from it themselves) while also still doing everything else that they need to be doing to actually make money and progress.

* - A symbolic gesture only, to be sure, but it makes for a good story.

8bitCelebi

Aspiring Trainer

So what will happen to the WiFi Plaza in Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver? As pointless as it is, It was one of my favorite features from Gen 4. Is it possible to use a private server?