XY Leaked : Final Evolutions Of The X / Y Starters!

RE: Leaked: Final Evolutions Of The X / Y Starters!

I admit I was a bit (okay, a lot) disappointed by Fennekin's final evo when I first saw it, but it's growing on me.
The only things that get me are; why did Froakie have bubbles, evolve to have more bubbles and then lose them altogether? And where did Braixen's stick/wand go? I also don't quite understand Chesnaught's colour-change either but that's by the by.

FloodBadge said:
The color change is because it is based off of a chesnut bursting out of it's shell, and maybe even a walnut or peanut It is also based on an armadillo and a knight.

That is a really good point, I never thought of it that way, somehow that makes Chesnaught more appealing :]

SquidCustard said:
I admit I was a bit (okay, a lot) disappointed by Fennekin's final evo when I first saw it, but it's growing on me.
The only things that get me are; why did Froakie have bubbles, evolve to have more bubbles and then lose them altogether? And where did Braixen's stick/wand go? I also don't quite understand Chesnaught's colour-change either but that's by the by.

FloodBadge said:
The color change is because it is based off of a chesnut bursting out of it's shell, and maybe even a walnut or peanut It is also based on an armadillo and a knight.

That is a really good point, I never thought of it that way, somehow that makes Chesnaught more appealing :]

I don't think Frogadier actually got more bubbles, it looks like it because it has a long strip of bubbles but as Froakie he has a big ball of bubbles

Does anyone know if there was a picture of Delphox's stats? I'm trying to get a decent idea of who has the best stats in what.

I think all three final evolutions are pretty cool, particularly Greninja who is getting far more hate than I feel it deserves. Say what you will about the designs themselves, but you have to hand it to GF for not taking the safe and easy route. They delivered a set of designs that none of us really predicted.

I kinda get the impression that both Delphox and Chesnaught are the sort of Pokemon that don't look impressive in screenshots, but get redeemed later once the Sugimori art is released. That tends to happen for more complicated and oddly proportioned designs, which are hard to interpret with the limited pixel resolution of screenshots.

I don't really buy the typings though. I would have sooner guessed pure Grass/Water/Fire based on designs alone.

bacon said:
I think all three final evolutions are pretty cool, particularly Greninja who is getting far more hate than I feel it deserves. Say what you will about the designs themselves, but you have to hand it to GF for not taking the safe and easy route. They delivered a set of designs that none of us really predicted.

I kinda get the impression that both Delphox and Chesnaught are the sort of Pokemon that don't look impressive in screenshots, but get redeemed later once the Sugimori art is released. That tends to happen for more complicated and oddly proportioned designs, which are hard to interpret with the limited pixel resolution of screenshots.

I don't really buy the typings though. I would have sooner guessed pure Grass/Water/Fire based on designs alone.

I think the designs are pretty indicative of their typing but I guess that's just opinion. As for all the hate, it's because people are now more and more starting to think of their own designs, which will of course make them biased. I agree that Delphox and Chesnaught will be more appreciated in the actual game though.

I think people should let go of their own mind's designs for now and look at the starters instead of thinking about what you expected it to be, I mean I could've thought Grovyle would become Grass/Flying, but I was fine with Sceptile when it actually happened.

I've already expressed my approval for all 3 of this generation's starters; I think they're unique and will make for fun and unprecedented gameplay. However, Greninja is clearly the strongest of the 3. If its supposed to be a speedy sweeper, it could easily OHKO Delphox, and its Bounce will do 4x damage to Chesnaught. Unless...maybe Delphox is this fastest. Delphox is the one that intrigues me the most, because I'm unable to guess its stat distribution simply by looking at it...High special attack and special defense? But will it outspeed Greninja? I don't want to beat a dead horse, but that's why the Sugimori designs are so important imo.

FT10 said:
I've already expressed my approval for 3 of this generation's starters; I think they're unique and will make for fun and unprecedented gameplay. However, Greninja is clearly the strongest of the 3. If its supposed to be a speedy sweeper, it could easily OHKO Delphox, and its Bounce will do 4x damage to Chesnaught. Unless...maybe Delphox is this fastest. Delphox is the one that intrigues me the most, because I'm unable to guess its stat distribution simply by looking at it...I don't want to beat a dead horse, but that's why the Sugimori designs are so important.

For future reference, does anyone have screenshots or calculated base stat totals for the three fully evolved starters? I'd like to see if Delphox or Chesnaught can compete with Greninja.

The designs are fresh this generation. The elegant fire starter going away from the repeated fighting look is nice to see. Delphox has been seen with a good psychic movepool and the ability to put up screens which will make it interesting depending on base stat total. Greninja is limber, quick, and somewhat mysterious behind that tounge scarf, which is perfect for the supposed "rogue" idea. Chesnaught is the armor-clad knight with longer limbs than I expected. The static screenshots we have of these Pokemon aren't going to do it justice, we have to see the movement of the Pokemon in game, during attacks, and Pokemon-amie. The aforementioned movement will give them the personalized feel the starters are supposed to have.

The one thing I'm not enjoying are the humanoid designs. Delphox and Chesnaught could have had less anthromorpophised designs, but eh, what can I do?

I'll wait to see the official art before I make the ultimate decision

Rune Yagami said:
Aerodactyl said:
True, but at this point... there's so many pokemon to use that if you don't like it you can just box it. There's always kanto starters!

I like all of their evolutions to be honest, I was just hoping that at least one of them would be more feral and less...humanoid. I guess Greninja still moves like a frog.

I also think it would be very funny if these were fake. They probably aren't, but the reactions would be priceless.

Boxing a starter (for the whole game, not just for a bit) always bothers me. This Pokemon was a gift from your friends, and you just throw it away? Come on, where is your heart?

Anyway, I actually like Delphox and Greninja, their designs are nearly perfect in my opinion. They embody the mage and rogue sterotypes very well. Chesnaught, on the other hand, looks more like a bulldozer than a knight/paladin. I wasn't expecting it to look like that at all. Still, having another grass/fighting type is cool, as Breloom was getting a bit stale, being the only one.

Well it's really just a way to start off your journey. Sure, it'd be nice to take a starter to the end, "growing" together, but nothing is wrong with assembling a team of other Pokemon you meet and just boxing the starter.

I'm wondering, when will we get the official artwork for the starter evo? I mean, i read somewhere that GF didn't want to release these evo until the game is released.

By this case, we're supposed to encounter these evo first in the game right? Or GF will release the official art during the release event/day?

This could be relevant for several people who want to wait the official art before choosing their starter, as the case with some of my friends.

Anyone can elaborate about this?

Ririka said:
I'm wondering, when will we get the official artwork for the starter evo? I mean, i read somewhere that GF didn't want to release these evo until the game is released.

By this case, we're supposed to encounter these evo first in the game right? Or GF will release the official art during the release event/day?

This could be relevant for several people who want to wait the official art before choosing their starter, as the case with some of my friends.

Anyone can elaborate about this?

Most likely, for those who get the game, and also buy the official guide on release, commonly the offficial artwork is included within the guide, giving the buyers instant access. In general, as by Gamefreak's own hand...not sure about that myself. Best bet would be on the official release of the games.

I don't think its something to really worry about.

I'm really disappointed by these in general. I guess they'll grow on me over time, maybe the slurry of fan made ones spoiled me.

SynxS1N said:
I'm really disappointed by these in general. I guess they'll grow on me over time, maybe the slurry of fan made ones spoiled me.

You just hit the nail right on the head.

Most people dislike these evolutions because they're not like all the badass fan art out there. They get their expectations very high for them, and then when they finally see them, they say 'ughh they're so boring, this fan art should've been the real thing' or something along those lines.

I personally don't have a major problem with any of the starter evolutions, but keep in mind we haven't seen their official art yet - this could change everything.

P.DelSlayer said:
SynxS1N said:

You just hit the nail right on the head.

Most people dislike these evolutions because they're not like all the badass fan art out there. They get their expectations very high for them, and then when they finally see them, they say 'ughh they're so boring, this fan art should've been the real thing' or something along those lines.

I personally don't have a major problem with any of the starter evolutions, but keep in mind we haven't seen their official art yet - this could change everything.

This is exactly why I ignore fan art. The Official art is always much better anyway. I personally think the official art is going to be great, and might even make me think that Chesnaught doesn't look as strange as it does in the screenshots.

I guess part of my issue with the name 'Delphox' is because there is a fish called the Delphax Cory. I used to have one, he was pretty neat. but seriously, it sounds closer to the fish than it does to the place + fox [easier to chance one letter than to separate them].

Oh well.

Whitefire said:
I guess part of my issue with the name 'Delphox' is because there is a fish called the Delphax Cory. I used to have one, he was pretty neat. but seriously, it sounds closer to the fish than it does to the place + fox [easier to chance one letter than to separate them].

Oh well.

I don't think the naming is totally based on the city of Delphi. Take a look at the second definition on this page.

If Delphox is truly real she is a breath of fresh air from Emboar and Infernape. Her Mystic Fire has piqued my curiousity. Chespin's possible evo looks amazing I like the shell Greninja is the only one that didn't wow me though if he is real i'll accept it like Samorott it's not like I was getting him anyway.

Rune Yagami said:
Whitefire said:

Oh well.

I don't think the naming is totally based on the city of Delphi. Take a look at the second definition on this page.
Awesome, this helps~ but i will forever think 'fish' XD

I'm really happy with all of these. I'd like Delphox to have a staff but it's fine without one. Greninja is my favorite one of them all though with Chesnaught being my least fav of the three.

Back