OU: Strategy ITT: Competitive Battling Pet Peeves

mastermagpie

Aspiring Trainer
ITT: Competive Battling Pet Peeves

Politoed with Drizzle + Hydro Pump + Kingdra. Not banned on Random Matchup so I basically lose to this every time...

Apart from that, Cloyster and Jolteon. Cloyster because Shall Smash + Icicle Spear and Jolteon because I don't really have anything to resist it's super powered Thunder on my team and counter it so I guess that's more my fault...

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
RE: ITT: Competive Battling Pet Peeves

Basically overrated teams using no original thought process are always my pet peeve.

I am still fairly new to most competitive battling so fighting against a team that mimics something in nationals is really annoying. Also feels very sad to see because some people don't wanna step outside their comfort zone and try what's not top tier.

Also people who disconnect on me when they make a stupid play on their part.

Good example: I battled someone on random match-up the other day. My team was somewhat bulky in the sense that I had a Kingdra out, aswell as a Garchomp with Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet attached.

Well - nimrod on that end decided that after hitting my Garchomp with their seemingly weak-hp'd Hitmontop, and taking about half HP of damage from that, and not killing my Garchomp, decides to set up some hail with Abomasnow and attack my Garchomp with the same exact Hitmontop. At the end of the turn, his Hitmontop was knocked out by his own Abomasnow's hail (although he did get the KO on my Garchomp) and he DC'd after I sent out my Ninetales (using Drought, eliminating Hail)

Blueinvader

This isn't that clever. Really.

Cresselia with Double Team, Moonlight, Protect and Psychic.

So mad...

iSharingan

Competitive VG Tutor and Gizoid

Blueinvader said:

So mad...
Tht's not really competitve, is it? Last I checked there was an Evasion Clause. I can understand if a friend used it in a battle (or it was on RM), but that's more of a casual setting.

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS

Blueinvader said:

So mad...

That's not really a very strong moveset. Cresselia's Special Attack isn't particularly great so anything that resists or is immune to Psychic can just switch in and tank it for days while setting up, killing it, or even pp stalling it.

iSharingan

Dark Void said:
Blueinvader said:

So mad...

That's not really a very strong moveset. Cresselia's Special Attack isn't particularly great so anything that resists or is immune to Psychic can just switch in and tank it for days while setting up, killing it, or even pp stalling it.
Prankster Sableye -> Taunt + Will 'o Wisp

gg Cressie

Sheriff_K

Eevee Breeder

Shuckle.

I had a 1v1 game go for 100+ turns because enemy had a Shuckle. It came down to who ran out of PP first, and then my Struggle crit for all of his health... o_0

Jokes on him!

.maiden

Aspiring Trainer

I dislike the use of strongly luck based strategies such as Prankster Liepard @ Twave/Swagger/Foul Play

ShadowVixen

Aspiring Trainer

Prankster Tornadus. (Think it was that or the other one. They're the only Pokemon I get mixed up.)

Every time I get matched up against it my team goes down. Prankster legendaries just should never exist.

iSharingan

ShadowVixen said:
Prankster Tornadus. (Think it was that or the other one. They're the only Pokemon I get mixed up.)

Every time I get matched up against it my team goes down. Prankster legendaries just should never exist.
it's Thundurus and it's actually kinda frail :/

Uralya

*ponders everything*

This thread is open, but remember to give some sufficient reasoning on why you dislike what you do. This is not a simple gripe-fest.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer

DdogTheKing said:
Baton Pass Chains... I cannot deal with them.

Good thing they got banned from OU months ago.

I kind of hate 90 accuracy moves because I feel they miss way more than they should, but of course only when it counts. I don't know how many times I've had Play Rough or Toxic miss this gen or Ice Fang(95 accuracy) on Gliscor back in BW1 (also just had Meteor Mash miss on Metagross in randbats today but lol Metagross).

DdogTheKing

On the surfside.

I was glad. BP Chains were really annoying cause you either had to rely on a critical move, roar before smeragle used Ingrain, or pull a Prankster Taunt. Which in some to many cases you weren't running these moves. Then once they setup alot than it was a instant GG.

Another thing that made me annoyed on it was that it really took no skill to do. The only logical thought was actually picking the mons. In mosts causes I saw these 4 all the time.

Smeargle
Ninjask
Vaporeon
Espeon.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past

Baton Pass did actually take some skill.

Anyway, I have a thing against Fairies. Their immunity to Dragon and the fact that the type is attributed to Pokemon I never liked, along with the existence of Xerneas which made my beautiful Ubers a circus, led to me hating them. Now, with the exception of Xerneas (which unfortunately exists in half the teams), I don't mind facing them; stuff like Unaware Clefable are annoying, but same goes for Unaware Quagsire. However, I never, ever use them. The only times I've used Fairies was an Azumarill in early Battle Spot and a Togekiss in a test team.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer

People actually used Ninjask over Scolipede? At least Scolipede can take a hit, hit back, and pass Iron Defense. But yeah Baton Pass chains were really stupid because there was little variation in teambuilding and you were pretty much forced to use one of a select handful of sets to have a chance at beating a half decent player.

One Approved

;
Advanced Member

Cinesra said:
People actually used Ninjask over Scolipede? At least Scolipede can take a hit, hit back, and pass Iron Defense. But yeah Baton Pass chains were really stupid because there was little variation in teambuilding and you were pretty much forced to use one of a select handful of sets to have a chance at beating a half decent player.

I think the BP team being referred to was one used by a popular smogonite in the 5th generation, before Scolipede's dream world ability was released. The team was used by a lot of people on ladder, and it was always the same 6 pokemon:

Ninjask/Vaporeon/Espeon/Mr. Mime/Celebi/Mawile

but some people chose Smeargle so that they wouldn't have to switch to Espeon every time a Whirlwinder came out. In addition, Ninjask hase base 140 speed right off the bat, so you can set Substitute up without having to worry ~85% of the time. If you use Scolipede, you're forced to protect on the first turn more often, which can work against you a lot more than you'd think. Ninjask can also learn flash (yes, I am dead serious) which some people used instead of either sub or protect. I think it was mostly used for other teams with baton pass, so they could troll their chain by passinga round -1 or 2 accuracy.