Bias in the Media

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Well this place has been completely dead for the past like month, so I figured I would once again make a thread to get the blood flowing.
The basic point of this thread is: Media and its bias

We all know how Fox News is very bias, but of course it would be stupid to say it is the only biased network. Almost every News Station is biased, and although people like Sean Hannity make me want to rip open my shirt and throw it at the TV to cover his stupidity, I do find myself watching actually sensible people who can act like a human being with emotions like Bill O'Reilly and maybe sometimes John Stossel. Of course, this thread is here to find the most bias media station, and how the media is basically a plot to destroy the world through false information which is twisted. Is the "liberal media" true in that everything has been given to Obama / liberals, or is it "conservative" as Fox news is basically the largest news network.

Discuss bias in the media, and the positive and negative consequences it has on society.

RE: Bias in media

Fox News :/

I hate it when there is a bias and subjective; I'd rather have it have no bias and be objective. This is my view on what politics should be, not what it is. lol

Media is biased because they want people on their side. It's like when something dramatic happens; you put your own connotations and spin on the story (consciously or not) to get your friends to agree with the way you see it.
That being said, I think that in a mass media setting, that's extremely detrimental. You end up with people parroting what they heard on the TV last night without really understanding what they're saying, and it breeds misinformation and ignorance. Imo the news should be presented with facts ONLY, in a completely neutral way, so that people can form their OWN opinions and emotions regarding the stories they see. The only time I would find it appropriate for a news source to show emotional bias is in the event of a serious tragedy, such as a large natural disaster.

Bill O' Reilly is worth watching?

Let's watch this wonderful little gem, where he flat-out refuses to acknowledge that Richard Dawkins has a valid point, and instead just keeps shouting at him repeatedly, before accusing Dawkins of facism because he disagrees with him.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Ald5f_nao[/video]

I love how Bill O'Reilly shows an incorrect picture of human evolution in that.

Zenith said:
reality has a liberal bias

No, reality has a conservative bias. How do you explain then all their years of continued existence? I would have thought they would have devolved into crazy, dim-witted delusional paranoids years ago.

Oh wait... it already happened. Welp, let's wait for the gene pool to clean itself any moment now.

If you want to have other case study of bias in the media different from liberals/republicans, you can search the situation in argentina with the media and news conglomerate clarin and the ongoing "war" (for lack of a better term) with the current government. It would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. (warning: I hope you can read spanish) I can drop some links and info if you guys like or can't read them.

MSNBC is full of Communists, which I adore. FOX "News" is full of uneducated, racist, fascists. CNN leans left...just a tad. BBC, though, is the way to go. If you want to hear what other countries think about how our imbecilic congress functions (or does not function), then listen to a news source outside of America. It's interesting to hear what other countries think about the United States, although they rate our country rather harshly, which is to be expected.

As if you couldn't tell from my generalizations, I am highly biased.

Re: Bias in media

As an "investigative journalist" I find American news to be more about telling us what we need to hear instead of what the truth may be. I usually just read new from outside the US. Interesting to see what I read from those sources as opposed to what US sources will say.

Uhm, I think Dawkins needs to get his facts straight about the supposed creationist approach to the origins of the world.

doublenikesocks said:
Is this thread just a fox news hate thread? Because it sure seems to be. If I were any of you ranters, I would at least put some evidence in your posts. (except for you Flame Claw, you attempted to put evidence.) Now I'm just not gonna rant on MSNBC or CNN right now, (I could) but I'd like to do something productive besides talking about biased media, which we all know is how media works. There is no such thing as "unbiased media."

You're right about there not being an unbiased media, but it's a generally known fact that Fox News has a lengthy list of issues other than being extremely biased.

Colress said:
MSNBC is full of Communists, which I adore. FOX "News" is full of uneducated, racist, fascists. CNN leans left...just a tad. BBC, though, is the way to go. If you want to hear what other countries think about how our imbecilic congress functions (or does not function), then listen to a news source outside of America. It's interesting to hear what other countries think about the United States, although they rate our country rather harshly, which is to be expected.

msnbc is about as communist as, say, obama (i.e. not communist at all). american "mainstream media" generally leans slightly left but is still overwhelmingly conservative.

bbc and al-jazeera are probably your best bet for english-language international news.

Is this thread just a fox news hate thread? Because it sure seems to be. If I were any of you ranters, I would at least put some evidence in your posts. (except for you Flame Claw, you attempted to put evidence.) Now I'm just not gonna rant on MSNBC or CNN right now, (I could) but I'd like to do something productive besides talking about biased media, which we all know is how media works. There is no such thing as "unbiased media."
fart

Elite Stride said:
Uhm, I think Dawkins needs to get his facts straight about the supposed creationist approach to the origins of the world.

What exactly are you referring to?

doublenikesocks said:

If you're not going to add anything productive, you reeeeeeally need to stop posting. This has happened once in the "abortion" thread. If you don't want to talk about biased media, why did you even come to this thread?

Zenith said:
Colress said:

msnbc is about as communist as, say, obama (i.e. not communist at all). american "mainstream media" generally leans slightly left but is still overwhelmingly conservative.

bbc and al-jazeera are probably your best bet for english-language international news.

I was referring to the late-night politics shows, especially "PoliticsNation," with Rev. Al Sharpton. Chris Matthews is rather conservative, but he's still a Democrat. Rachel Maddow (<3) has relatively far-left ideological stances. Hmm, Lawrence O'Donnel is meh. The regular afternoon newscasts are rarely even about politics (or not enough), save "The Cycle." :)

I feel this is appropiate for this subject:

http://xkcd.com/250/

[img width=550 height=]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/snopes.png[/img]

The thing is, how do we know when a media is biased if we get all the information to make that distinction from it?

If ALL media is biased... perhaps the very concept of media isn't as objective as we'd like to think. and we are wrong from the very start?

Maybe by the principle of uncertainty, there is no "objectivity", just bias.

But according to that... can we really trust the principle of uncertainty?

Your brain is broken now.
You are welcome.

You post basically goes along with the "everything everybody has ever told me is a lie" type of thing.

PDC said:
You post basically goes along with the "everything everybody has ever told me is a lie" type of thing.

I thought it went to show how everything is subjective, and we shouldn't just take everything people say at face value; fox is batshit crazy, but that doesn't mean NBC or MSNBC are more objective, just that they are more in line with your own (not objective) opinions or that they are better at hiding it.
The point is that objectivity in the media (any media) is non-existant, we should accept it, and just be more careful with believing anything at face value, taking our own conclusions.
So it's more like:

"everything everybody has ever told me is a lie. So I will find my own truths"

Also, it had an XKCD strip, and that's awesome.

Media is biased because it is bought and paid for or influenced by people with special interests. I feel that a lot of media in the US is moving into a more center left direction, but there are still some pretty balanced stations out there. I do not count Fox News in this "balanced" category. They are overall extremely biased, leaning towards the right and tea partiers most of the time (generous amounts money behind this as well as other media outlets). Until recently I thought CNN was pretty decent, but some of their nonsense from the past year made me doubt that. But if you do your research, a lot of media is bought and paid for. I feel like many people are brainwashed without really knowing it unfortunately.

Learn to separate the BS from the facts. You wouldn't need half of what some media outlets publish or report if they took out some of the filler and opinion based material. News should be read like a package you unwrap. Ignore words like liberal, conservative, or bias toward certain individuals. I almost always avoid editorial rants and the like as well. It's good to form your own opinion instead of letting people tell you what to think.

Most of the media out there is definitely moving in a lefty direction. When I see Fox I normally just go "meh" and flip the channel, same with CNN, MSNBC and all that other junk. It's all biased anyways so why watch it? As a conservative I believe that Fox doesn't do a good job at portraying our beliefs well. I also feel that the liberal media could do a better job promoting their party and also why can't we just all get along? So what if you don't think the same way as I do? It's not going to hurt me at all as long as you don't try to force your views on me and vice versa, although I don't mind having a friendly debate if it doesn't get out of hand.

This is why I don't like the general media, they try to force their views on you and thus is garbage more often than not.

The media is so focused on trying to put us into one camp or the other or play on our distaste/fears for something. George Washington didn't even want us to have political parties, but look at where we are now. Somehow, I think he had the right idea. Who am I? I'm an American, not a party.

Back