Catching Me Some Ichthyoids

The Last Raven

Send me out, with a bang.
I recently caught a guitarfish, the first wild one I have ever seen. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these fish, they seem to be quite rare. Have any of you seen them before?

Moderator note: Use this thread for general fishing discussion.

RE: Fishing

The Last Raven said:
I recently caught a guitarfish, the first wild one I have ever seen. I was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with these fish, they seem to be quite rare. Have any of you seen them before?

what kind was it a shovel nose guitar fish, or a bowmouth guitar fish, or possibly Giant guitar fish.... I caught a shovel nose guitar fish but not the others.

Ghost King said:
The Last Raven said:

what kind was it a shovel nose guitar fish, or a bowmouth guitar fish, or possibly Giant guitar fish.... I caught a shovel nose guitar fish but not the others.

I think a shovel nose, though I'm not entirely sure.

The Last Raven said:
Ghost King said:

I think a shovel nose, though I'm not entirely sure.
The shovel nose guitar fish head comes to a point almost like a roundish triangle, bowmouth is more open and round. I hope this clarifys the type. and yes they are rare to get.... my dad caught ours.....lucky

Where were you fishing? I've never heard of a guitarfish, but I'm guessing it was a ray. Atlantic Ocean? Pacific?

Well, I don't live near any saltwater, but there are some nice fish at my honey-hole (In the Great Lakes). I've caught probably 5,000 sunfish (Maybe I'm over-exaggerating), Lots of bass, lots of perch, a lot of goby (I don't know what they're actually called, but thats what they call them where I live), a few catfish, some walleye, some bullhead, some sheep-head, and I think I hooked a pike before. But they snapped the line.

Proceeded said:
Where were you fishing? I've never heard of a guitarfish, but I'm guessing it was a ray. Atlantic Ocean? Pacific?

Well, I don't live near any saltwater, but there are some nice fish at my honey-hole (In the Great Lakes). I've caught probably 5,000 sunfish (Maybe I'm over-exaggerating), Lots of bass, lots of perch, a lot of goby (I don't know what they're actually called, but thats what they call them where I live), a few catfish, some walleye, some bullhead, some sheep-head, and I think I hooked a pike before. But they snapped the line.

I found the guitar fish in Pensacola, Alabama, and there like a Ray except they are ribbed, and what is a sunfish?

Ghost King said:
Proceeded said:

I found the guitar fish in Pensacola, Alabama, and there like a Ray except they are ribbed, and what is a sunfish?

6872095-a-freshwater-sunfish-caught-on-a-fish-hook.jpg

I should've been more specific. It's a freshwater sunfish. They're very common around where I live.

When you go fishing for Trout, and you catch a friggin Walleye that's not even supposed to be there.

Yeah I have salt water near where I live but I can only catch microscopic shrimp (cuz it's the Great Salt Lake) but the rivers around here are legendary for massive river trout lol.

Going jigging for Blues and Stripers for about 7 hours tomorrow, i'll show you guys pictures when I get back.

Back