Miranda Warnings (Miranda Rights)

SheNinja

Aspiring Trainer
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and may be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to consult an attourney before and have an attourney present while speaking to the Police. If you are indigent you may have one appointed if you wish. Do you understand?"

What are your views on the Miranda Warnings? Are they sufficient? Are the laws around them strict enough?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_warning

Uh, yeah. They kind of are important. The Miranda Rights are there as a civil right.
How anyone can have a problem with them is beyond me, or beyond common sense.

But, being honest, a man once said "You have the right to remain silent; but that depends if you have the ability to."

Here is what you do. Present identification, then POLITELY state you are retaining your right to remain silent. STAND YOUR GROUND! DO NOT SAY A WORD! All is well in the world.

Learned this from MPs, Sheriffs (the army has civilian sheriffs, FBI, CID, and other police type forces) and whatnot.

I'm not asking if they are a problem with anyone, I was asking if they were sufficient.

I, to this day, have not figured out why a suspect would confess or even talk to Police. Don't help them with your case: make them create the case against you. Don't make a case against yourself lol

SheNinja said:
I'm not asking if they are a problem with anyone, I was asking if they were sufficient.

I, to this day, have not figured out why a suspect would confess or even talk to Police. Don't help them with your case: make them create the case against you. Don't make a case against yourself lol

or you could, um, not do anything against the law?

This warning makes it official of custody and that the suspicion that was had for the arrest now reaffirms for using anything in court.
I think this is sufficient for it's purpose. There are cases (such as with the bomber of boston) where evidence before the warning can be used.

In the same defense, the Miranda Rights are not really laws.
It's actually a case ruling, and is mandatory for officers to Mirandize suspects, or read them their Miranda Rights. They're called rights, not laws.

The Miranda Warnings are used because rights are laws that citizens may choose to abide by.

It has laws around them as to what Law Enforcement may do to and with the prosecuted citizen.

Haunted Water said:
SheNinja said:
may choose to abide by.

correct me if i'm wrong, but generally speaking, you cannot choose to abide by laws; you're more so forced to abide by them.

Isnt that really an opinion on how you look at it? The laws are made through the bills of the represenatives of the population as a whole so we can reside placid and serene. But if you dont like the popular vote of the law then I can see how your forced, but its more what side of the line do you have a plethora of pros on your side, and sheninja they are rights it was a court case against a man named miranda. The court then issued that all police officers must give you this right, if they do not you can get off scott free. I dont think it is strict, it help you maintain your rights as a citizen until proven guilty....but dont get me wrong police officers can find loop holes through it though, they can abuse their power.

somebody remind me the point of this thread again?

also: @ SheNinja

miranda rights are literally the most blatant and boring topics ever. seriously. i might as well justify what i am saying, but basically it doesn't go farther than "there is literally no point to this at all" and doesn't range much farther.

now let me offer this gif as a rebuttal to sheninja's comment on miranda rights being law's you can "choose to abide by" comment, because that is basically every law ever.

1374709313082.gif

The police officers do not have to tell you these rights, they just do so they can have anything stupid you say to use against you in court as evidence.

SheNinja said:
The police officers do not have to tell you these rights, they just do so they can have anything stupid you say to use against you in court as evidence.

Not exactly. It's basically lik a warrant. If they don't marandize you, you can run your mouth all you want.

Nobody should be posting for the purpose of bashing the OP or the topic. If you feel there is nothing to say, then why are you posting in the first place? Just to tell everyone there's nothing to say? How ironic; every time you post you simply ensure that the topic stays around longer, so try to move on. This will remain open for anyone who may find somewhere on God's good earth, something they'd like to legitimately comment on or bring up relating to the rights- whether it be court cases, personal stories, opinions, or whatever.
Anyone continuing to post unintelligent nonsense, or to bash the topic is subject to a large infraction.
[private]I'm going to crack a whip in here with any replies following this post and if there is nothing left to be said, then it's going to sink to the bottom of the forum anyway.[/private]

There is also the case when there is a "public safety threat," the law enforcement doesn't have to read them their Mirandas. Anything they say ever is liable as evidence in court.

Back