Pokemon What's With The Dunsparce Obsession?

Basically, Dunsparce is popular for being unpopular. Dunsparce is known for being odd looking, rare, and pretty mediocre performance-wise. Because of this and the fact that it's been a prime candidate for an evolution for the past decade, people generally saw Dunsparce as being a neglected, forgotten Pokemon. However, this sentiment became so well known that it's now an oxymoron. Everybody knows Dunsparce. Everybody knows how weak and rare it is. Go to any "most-forgotten Pokemon" thread on any site and you'll see at least one person mention Dunsparce, despite the fact that a Pokemon being well-known for being unknown is a perfect example of an oxymoron. Sure there are some hipsters who like it, despite not seeing the irony of doing so, but most fans of Dunsparce just like it because it's weird. This rare, stand-alone oddball that's aesthetically a mix between cool, weird, and cute that's base on a cryptid that's pretty obscure, at least to most English-speakers, certainly does have character.

Dunsparce deserves better. So much better.

I've believed this for a little bit more than a decade.

dmaster out.

@Jonn: it's almost like you want someone to just come out and say that they only like Dunsparce because of its infamy. I mean who says that Frezgle doesn't actually genuinely like it? There is someone for every pokemon and I just think its good enough that pokemon don't get forgotten. Also Dunsparce is in need of an evolution and as earlier mentioned has recently been making more appearances in Pokemon media, so it could be a hint that we'll be seeing more of him in the future which would stir up some fan speculation to say the least.

On top of all that with a new generation approaching it leaves fans to go back to the pokemon who were kinda left behind and wonder if GF well give them the attention they deserve. Ironically, Dunsparce is just one of the more popular "forgotten" pokemon. However there's also Quilfish, Farfetched, Shuckle, Smeargle (less forgotten, but could use an evolution)... Am I forgetting anybody? Lol

Troll just wants to be fed the answer he is looking for. Dunsparce is cool and he is mad about it. Lets move on.

Some Pokemon are unique partially because they don't evolve; I would hate to see them give every Pokemon an evolution. That just gets redundant, and redundancy is boring.

Good thread- I was wondering some of the same things. I actually hate Dunsparce and just the fact that people want to like it because nobody likes it makes me hate it even more. Although I give it up to Tsoliades for making me lol.

Yeah come at me haters.

evilpacman said:
Troll just wants to be fed the answer he is looking for. Dunsparce is cool and he is mad about it. Lets move on.

If I'm mad it's because you called me a troll, which I take offense to.

I found this thread of GameFaqs with this post:
The real answer?
4Chan arbitrarily decided to mass (bot) vote him in a major poll for the roster.

As usual, it's 4Chan being stupid.

then people tried to downplay this post, then someone posted this:
He was written in by them, he wasn't originally on the poll IIRC.

However, don't take that cover too seriously. As mentioned before, Bidoof was on it at one point and he's wasn't very well liked among the fandom.

Is this the truth? He was put on some poll by 4chan, and now everyone thinks he's popular?

Hey, Dunsparce is cool and you know it. And being called a troll on the internet is anything but an insult.

Jonn said:
evilpacman said:

The real answer?
4Chan arbitrarily decided to mass (bot) vote him in a major poll for the roster.

However, don't take that cover too seriously. As mentioned before, Bidoof was on it at one point and he's wasn't very well liked among the fandom.

Is this the truth? He was put on some poll by 4chan, and now everyone thinks he's popular?

For reference, this
http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-semifinals/
is said poll and dunsparce didn't make it to the finals.(I think it's an official poll by nintendo to decide what character should be in the next ssbb)
And no, I do not believe that this is the reason for people liking him. Duh, it's some poll manipulated by freakin' 4chan community...
Also, at that time development for pmd had already started, so dunsparce was already implemented, it was not, like some on that forum claim, used as main character because of that poll; and since I got active on pokemon reddit and the pokemon community in general and such about 2 months before that poll started, I can recall my surprise about how many people liked dunsparce back then and how popular it seemed to be as be typical forgotten pokemon.

I don't like Dunsparce much but I think it's quite a fairly cute Pokemon and can see it being liked for it's whacky little appearance.

People like what they like, do they REALLY need a reason to like it? I mean sure the thing about "liking it because no one else does" can be true for a good number, but a lot of us have an underloved Pokemon we really like. It isn't all about tiers or what's strongest when it comes to favourite Pokemon. (( If this isn't your way of thinking out favourites I really think you need to chill out and actually play Pokemon from a more light-hearted perspective ))

People like whatever Pokemon they want, and can like them however they please.
That's all there is to it, if anything there's more talk because Dunsparce has an episode and POSSIBLE evolution potential. Of course there would be hype from Dunsparce fans around it.

Why question the reason people like a Pokemon? In my view it's offensive because some people act like their favourite needs to be someone else's favourite. I've been hated on for having Entei as a favourite Pokemon, and that's really darn sad to see.

Frezgle said:
Thief said:
Am I forgetting anybody? Lol

Pinsir! Chatot! And Grumpig! Mostly Grumpig. God Grumpig is cool.

My sister was like, the biggest Grumpig fan ever back when R/S released. Pretty sure it's still one of her favorites, though she did stop playing after the 3rd Gen, so there's not much to change the opinion haha.

But yeah. Grumpig's coo.

And Chatot is still my favorite 4th Gen Pokemon (and in my Top 5 favorite of all gens).

also I legit forgot what a Pinsir is

Jonn said:
evilpacman said:

The real answer?

Umm no. Why did you bother to make this thread if you already have an "answer" that no one even knew about. Just stop.

Anyways, to get on topic, I don't even really care about Dunsparce, because Sunfkern is pretty friggin OP. I mean STAB Absorb, really? Holy crap that is powerful!

Equinox said:
Anyways, to get on topic, I don't even really care about Dunsparce, because Sunfkern is pretty friggin OP. I mean STAB Absorb, really? Holy crap that is powerful!

Sunkern? Please. My Feebas' Ice Beam will rip that to shreds.

Frezgle said:
Equinox said:

Sunkern? Please. My Feebas' Ice Beam will rip that to shreds.

Ice Beam? I've got Morning Sun AND Giga Drain to get my health back pfshhhhhhhhhhhh anyways we're getting off topic

Dunsparce's stats make me wince now, but... it's so cute. Look at its silly face and its silly little wings. I remember when I was a ten-or-so-year-old playing Pearl and I caught a Dunsparce and named it Dun-Dun and loved it. To be fair, though, I think I forgot about Dunsparce a little, for a while there.

I remember back in G/S/C you get Dunsparce in that cave, you then get calls to say there is an outburst of Dunsparce on route ( insert name here ). It's just such a random Pokémon. My favourite Pokémon is Pikachu, or am I just saying this because Pikachu is popular ?. In all seriousness, I do legitimately love Pikachu :).

Dunsparce has always been one of my favorites, and I don't really think that many people "ironically" like it.

It's a cute, cool looking and distinct design, based on the legend of the Tsuchinoko. Everything about it is fun.

People also really want to see it get an evolution because it's been a bit of a weakling for generations, but has an amazing movepool and serene grace.

I can't believe how rude and ridiculous someone has to be to accuse others of having "fake" love for something.

I'ts also one of my favorites. I think its cute, but for some reasons I've always wondered why / how its eyes looks and why its always closed? :)

It IS rather cuttlefish-like, isn't it?

I'd always interpreted Dunsparce's eyes as being sort of degenerate or vestigial due to its underground habits, like a mole or a cave salamander.

Back