Pokemon What's With The Dunsparce Obsession?

Jonn

Pokemon Collector
I've seen people talking about Dunsparce around the forums, and it just strikes me as odd. What's so special about Dunsparce? What's it all about?

I think people either genuinely like it (like me), or they say they like it for ~*ironic purposes*~ because they want to be speshul and yuneek. It's always been the poster child of "weird" or "stupid" Pokemon for whatever reason, and going against the norm is considered cool?? idk

People have also been suspecting that it will get a 6th gen evolution because it's had more of an official focus lately, in the new Mystery Dungeon game, and in an upcoming anime episode.

I like Dunsparce because it's based on two of my favorite things (a type of cryptid and a bee), because I find it really cute, because it's rare, and because it's just kinda generally awkward. It's hard to find, but most Pokemon in that category are legendary powerhouses or really good in some other aspect. Dunsparce is kinda just... Sparse!

Amen to Frezgle. +2 Internet

You either genuinely like it or you like it cause it makes you think your cool for going against the norm. Funnily enough I wrote about how I hate people who like a "forgotten" Pokemon for those reasons. It's in the Unpopular Opinions thread xD

frezgle, you say you genuinely like Dunsparce while having this in your about me:
Also, I think Dunsparce is the greatest thing to have ever come out of the mind of a human being.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. If people weren't obsessed with Dunsparce, you wouldn't like it. End of story.

Dunsparce helped win a Pokemon TCG World Championships back in 2005 or so.

Dunsparce is unique in a lot of ways. It's not cute, powerful, gimmicky - it's just, I dunno, there. That's why I like it.

I liked it since I saw it the first time and I was a total pokemon noob back then, I had no clue it was a 'bad' pokemon, I didn't even know it was sorta rare :/ I actually didn't know people found it weird or ugly or special in any(positive or negative) way before I got more active in pokemon community about a year ago. I didn't know people had kind of forgotten about it either, I just thought it was one of 600+ pokemon that I had always liked.
I don't even know what's so special about liking it? It's just another pokemon, nobody goes and tells people its stupid to like rapidash or something.
I guess I initially liked it because I found it cute and loved the design and yellow was my favourite color when I was little? Just as I like swoobat, for example, it just looked good and likeable to me, or leafeon, because I loved the colors and overall design.
I don't like or dislike a pokemon because its popular or unpopular, for example lucario is one of my favourites and I consider it very popular, but I really don't care if someone wants to like a pokemon because its kind of forgotten, I mean why do people even care what and why others like what they like? Just as much as I don't just hate a pokemon like pikachu or charizard because it's popular, but if someone wants to go anti mainstream and hate it because of that, fine. It's not like other peoples favourite pokemon choices could hurt me or something.

Well, in 7th grade my friend and I used the name as a substitute for a bad word. :0

"My dunsparce is bigger than yours!"

And we made jokes about its movepool.

Ahhh, good times.

I did a double-take when I saw its movepool. Coil, Glare, Roost, Ancientpower, Drill Run...

...I'm not helping, am I

Jonn said:
frezgle, you say you genuinely like Dunsparce while having this in your about me:
Also, I think Dunsparce is the greatest thing to have ever come out of the mind of a human being.

Yeah, I'm not buying it. If people weren't obsessed with Dunsparce, you wouldn't like it. End of story.

That's in my about me because I like Dunsparce a lot. It's a bit of a hyperbole, sure, but I don't see how it goes against anything I said in my previous post. Dunsparce has been my favorite Pokemon since shortly after I made a fakemon evolution for it, which was... Maybe about six years ago? I'm not sure where you get off telling people why they like things lol

frezgle said:
Jonn said:

Pardon me for asking this, but are you dense??? That's in my about me because I like Dunsparce a lot. It's a bit of a hyperbole, sure, but I don't see how it goes against anything I said in my previous post. Dunsparce has been my favorite Pokemon since shortly after I made a fakemon evolution for it, which was... Maybe about six years ago? I'm not sure where you get off telling people why they like things lol

Ah that's right :D I'm also pretty sure that evolution was made before anyone got that obsessed with dunsparce, not that frezgle would need to proof that they liked dunsparce before others came to like it for whatever reasons.

Also, I will be really mad at you for giving me false hopes if they actually make an evolution and it doesn't at least live up to your fanmade one :D

I like it alot, and tried desperately getting it on my Pokémon Gold game. I remember calling it 'Døde Bie' (Norwegian for dead bee); yes, I was a sadistic little boy.

Nightingirle said:
Ah that's right :D I'm also pretty sure that evolution was made before anyone got that obsessed with dunsparce, not that frezgle would need to proof that they liked dunsparce before others came to like it for whatever reasons.

Also, I will be really mad at you for giving me false hopes if they actually make an evolution and it doesn't at least live up to your fanmade one :D

Any evolution will be great, because it will mean Eviolite Dunsparce.
Which wouldn't actually be that good but shhhh

frezgle said:
Jonn said:

Pardon me for asking this, but are you dense??? That's in my about me because I like Dunsparce a lot. It's a bit of a hyperbole, sure, but I don't see how it goes against anything I said in my previous post. Dunsparce has been my favorite Pokemon since shortly after I made a fakemon evolution for it, which was... Maybe about six years ago? I'm not sure where you get off telling people why they like things lol

So you're saying your favoritism towards Dunsparce is no way influenced by the seemingly obsessive behavior that the Pokemon community has exemplified? You just happen to title yourself the "Dunsparce Trainer", feature that hyperbolic statement in your about me, and feature the Pokemon in your signature because you just like Dunsparce?

...I really don't know what to say to that. That's a non-argument.
But I will make an attempt.
1. I already said: Dunsparce has been my favorite for years and that fact was in no way influence or exemplified by the Pokemon fandom's current attitude towards it, which I have seen surface in the past year or so only.
2. Yes. I have that user title and short statement in my rather lengthy About Me because it's my favorite Pokemon. This is a Pokemon fansite so it's relevant, and there are many, many people who feature their favorites on their profile.

To me, it seems like you started a thread to bait people into a fight, since that's all you've done. You asked why people like Dunsparce, I gave my personal opinion on it, and you told me that my opinion is invalid by some bizarre logic that somehow tells you I only like it because of its recent popularity. If your mind is so made up about the matter and you won't listen to anyone who says otherwise, why make the thread at all?
iaza17574329890200.png

Please remain on topic and avoid any inflammatory statements. Infractions will follow if the unnecessary attacks continue.

Sorry, I just call BS when I see it. I hope someone will explain this Dunsparce obsession.

Jonn said:
Sorry, I just call BS when I see it. I hope someone will explain this Dunsparce obsession.

Curses; I've been found out! Even with drawing the second picture in the post above mine to make it look like I actually like Dunsparce (I didn't draw fanart of it because I like it; who even does that?), you have uncovered my role in the Dunluminati. The jig's up guys. The Great Dunpression has started.

Back