XY What Do You Think of the Starters?

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
I was just thinking about how the frog could be like the Windwaker.

I'd like to see the fox stay connected to the desert, either with a ground type added (rock would make it a living punching bag) or a psychic type that can make mirages or something.

A Grass/Steel is gonna suck against the fox but that typing would be great. Maybe like a more offensive version of Ferrothorn. It could end up as so many things, I'm excited.

SkySheild21

Pepe Master
I like them all. I think it's funny that i liked Oshawott when he first came out when no one else did.

Also I can picture Froakie becoming a frog that loses the legs pretty much and gets a tail and it's cloud grows and it floats and has a mustache.

MistahFuji

Veteran Pokemon Player
Haha, a friend of mine just pointed out that Froakie looks like a poorly executed Thunderus pre-evolution....
I see where he's coming from :p

DerpyMartian

6th Generation... Is AWESOME!
Honestly, all three are fantastic. I haven't liked all of the starters ever, except in Gen. 4. I got up when this was being covered, and I was really excited. When I saw Chespin, I was like, "HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG, that's adorable! That is my new favorite starter!" Which it might be. Sorry Turtwig and Mudkip. He is cute, and his design just looks like something they haven't made. Froakie is also really cool. Kind of like an elder looking thing, maybe his final evolution will be like an old toad or something. Frogs are cool, and haven't been in the game many times. Yes, we had 2 or 3 frogs, but I think Froakie has potential. And his name is AWESOME. Finally, we have Fennekin, and I have to say, he is cool. It seems like a cross between a Zorua and a Vulpix. While it has Vulpix's color scheme, it also looks mischievous. I will be getting both games, and I will have to trade the starters over to one, because they are all, to say the least, awesome.

Probopass_Fails

Aspiring Trainer
Froakie's cloud collar makes me think his concept may be "Frog Prince". Which would make sense and be kinda interesting. Then would his final evolution would be a frog king? It'd be kinda cool, but we already have royal-looking starter evos in Empoleon and Serperior

Aquapulse

Aspiring Trainer
Probopass_Fails said:
Froakie's cloud collar makes me think his concept may be "Frog Prince". Which would make sense and be kinda interesting. Then would his final evolution would be a frog king? It'd be kinda cool, but we already have royal-looking starter evos in Empoleon and Serperior

Actually, the "cloud collar" is a froth. Check up in the dictionary if you don't know what it means. Though, it could be simply a cloud, but I doubt it because of his name. Froakie--Froth/Soak or Croak, I have no idea where "ie" comes from.

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
So apparentally Chespin's hat thing is based on a horse chesnut. That actually makes lots of sense and explains the design.
http://justcallmeix.tumblr.com/post/40008402808/oh-i-get-it-chespin-is-like-a-horse-chestnut

I guess that means they could be doing something with spikes and armor, leading to a steel or fighting type evolution?

Mitja

veteran smartass
frostwind said:
I guess that means they could be doing something with spikes and armor, leading to a steel or fighting type evolution?

omg, I only thought of Ground and Fighting (and maaaaaybe Dark) as options cause I was trying to be realistic, and totally forgot to consider Steel!
Oh man, if this goes Grass/Steel, that will be awesome simply from this epic Ferrothornic combination alone. eOe

But I have a hard time imagining that to happen, from a design viewpoint...

But I do have the feeling this time there'll be secondary type treats like gen IV, instead of the plain stuff from Unova..

I'll stick to
Grass
Fire/Psychic
Water/Poison
as the likely possibilities... I really wish the Grass one gets something tho...and definitely Froakie...otherwise Fire will again be the asshole starter who gets a type while the other 2 go cry in the corner, like having 3 pure Grass/Water lines compared to 1 Fire isn't enough.

Aquapulse

Aspiring Trainer
Mitja said:
frostwind said:

omg, I only thought of Ground and Fighting (and maaaaaybe Dark) as options cause I was trying to be realistic, and totally forgot to consider Steel!
Oh man, if this goes Grass/Steel, that will be awesome simply from this epic Ferrothornic combination alone. eOe

But I have a hard time imagining that to happen, from a design viewpoint...

But I do have the feeling this time there'll be secondary type treats like gen IV, instead of the plain stuff from Unova..

I'll stick to
Grass
Fire/Psychic
Water/Poison
as the likely possibilities... I really wish the Grass one gets something tho...and definitely Froakie...otherwise Fire will again be the asshole starter who gets a type while the other 2 go cry in the corner, like having 3 pure Grass/Water lines compared to 1 Fire isn't enough.

I'm not so sure about the steel part. Acorn hat/shield or whatever that is being steel? I highly doubt it. I personally believed it's part fighting because it's bipedal and can use his/her arms to defend him/herself.

frostwind

I'm baaaacccckkkk
I guess they can do something with armour made from various nuts or pinecones or something like that.

Now all I can think of is a little bunny thing in Greek armor.

I really think they are going to get additional types. The fox for sure, because it used a psychic move. As long as its not part fighting, I'm okay.

NidoJosh

Fiat Lux
I really hope the evolutions end up something like this
xLJdu.jpg

This way they all look bad ass :3

redple

Is pessimistic
Chespin for some reason reminds me of Legend of Zelda, Fenniken is cute, but kinda bland looking, and Froakie is Ben Franklin.

Nigel

Extra Spicy
I love both Chespin (especially Chespin) and Froakie. Fenniken, on the other hand, is ugly and needs to shave its ears.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Fennekin is ultra cute, but I bet Chespin is gonna look badass when it evolves into its final form.

Will this be the first gen since 1 to not have ugly, spawn of sin middle evos for the starters??? Only time will tell.