I Got Bad Luck in a Game. Now I Can't Play Well.

Infinity

Soccer Mom
I can't figure it out. I used to win a lot. I went to a meeting this week. Got bad luck, and went 3-4. Now, I officially suck. I can't win at all, and I make dumb decisions when I'm playing. I think I need to take a few days off....

What went wrong?

RE: Something Has Happened.

Bad Luck streaks happen.. rest it off.. this is why usually before a big tournament, I don't playtest almost the entire week.

Without any more details, it's kinda hard to say what happened.

I will say this, though. While it is very possible to lose to bad luck, there are almost always other factors that come into play as well. Whenever I lose, if I look close enough, I can almost always find a way I could have won or at least come closer to winning. In a luck-based game like Pokémon, it's very easy to pin all your losses on bad luck because luck is a very obvious factor in the game. However, in order to become a successful player, it's important to carefully analyze your losses to make sure you're not doing anything wrong and to accept the fact that sometimes losses are your fault.

P.S. Not trying to say you're a bad player or anything; we all have our off-days. I'm just trying to explain how to handle it best.

I know how off days feel. =( Just try to relax during a battle, stressing out while in a tournament does not help, trust me, I know from experiance. Usually analyzing my losses helps me, that way I can see what I did wrong so I won't repeat it during the next battle. Have you fiddled with your deck lately? Sometimes doing that and then forgetting makes me misplay. (though that rarely ever happens since I can remember all 60 cards in my deck during a battle)

EDIT: What did you play and what did you battle?

I know that feel bro, after state (3rd), I went to an unofficial tournament and lost every game, and they were playing n00b decks.
Then at BR the first matches went smoothly, then I lost the next 4 terribly...
There is always a few good reasons, luck, how you played and your opponents. They are all factors that contibute to this...

Before cut at a big tournament, or after a really on the wire game, i just go out in the hallway(most bigger tournaments are at some sort of hotel or convention center) and listen to really loud music with my eyes closed. I basically just zone out and it totally removes all the stress.

You had a bad day (or possibly you didn't? :p). People can have bad days... get used to it. When you're playing at a very high level, everyone at the top tables in a tournament will be at about an even skill level... each win is a challenge. You could have also brought a BAD deck or just had a bad luck streak. I went 4-4 at one regionals and then got 2nd in my other one... at a high level, good people can do poorly or well. The game can get VERY competitive... get used to it :)

Take each game as they come. Many players lose their first game and tilt. The second loss makes that player tilt HARD. Try to relax between games and take them as they come. Don't plan ahead or think about any game except your next game.

An advice that I should really take upon myself is to calm down. I really flip out if I lose to bad luck often. lol

Infinity said:
I can't figure it out. I used to win a lot. I went to a meeting this week. Got bad luck, and went 3-4. Now, I officially suck. I can't win at all, and I make dumb decisions when I'm playing. I think I need to take a few days off....

What went wrong?

This sounds like tilting. Competitive players of any game or sport tend to play with a certain level of concentration, an ability to have a high awareness of the game. Basically "being in the zone". That awareness can be interrupted by a misplay or a bad luck streak, wherein the player gets frustrated and begins to lose his/her concentration and thus performs even worse. It can often continue in a downward spiral, such as what I think is happening in your case (bad luck -> aware of failure -> frustration -> perform worse -> aware of more failure -> more frustration -> perform even worse -> etc).

So in order to regain your concentration, you need to stop thinking about those recent blips. Nothing substantial has changed here, you still possess the ability to play TCG as always. If it helps, remember your past victories and how far you have come as a player for motivation. And remember that ultimately you do not play to win-- you play for fun and for happiness. If you are getting highly frustrated for losing, then I think you are playing the game for the wrong reasons and are letting it become more than a hobby, in which case I think it's a good idea to take a short break.

And look in detail as to why you lost-- Some bad decisions, or a deck unsuitable for the metagame?

It is probably because you keep playing the same deck. Put your current, Zekeels I believe, down for awhile and play with a fun deck. It is always nice to chill out with a deck that is expected to lose, but win sometimes. You are probably just bored, not bad.

This happened to me with CMT, so I started playing Zekeels.

Please update your thread title to include the problem.

I think this fits TCG News/Discussion better because this isn't about a competitive deck or strategy.

Moved.

bacon said:
This sounds like tilting. Competitive players of any game or sport tend to play with a certain level of concentration, an ability to have a high awareness of the game. Basically "being in the zone". That awareness can be interrupted by a misplay or a bad luck streak, wherein the player gets frustrated and begins to lose his/her concentration and thus performs even worse. It can often continue in a downward spiral, such as what I think is happening in your case (bad luck -> aware of failure -> frustration -> perform worse -> aware of more failure -> more frustration -> perform even worse -> etc).

So in order to regain your concentration, you need to stop thinking about those recent blips. Nothing substantial has changed here, you still possess the ability to play TCG as always. If it helps, remember your past victories and how far you have come as a player for motivation. And remember that ultimately you do not play to win-- you play for fun and for happiness. If you are getting highly frustrated for losing, then I think you are playing the game for the wrong reasons and are letting it become more than a hobby, in which case I think it's a good idea to take a short break.

And look in detail as to why you lost-- Some bad decisions, or a deck unsuitable for the metagame?

I think bacon hit it on the nail here....

@Brave Vesperia
I'm playing ZekEels. I lost against a Cake variant.

I lost to said Groudon Electrode variant 3 times.

I'll probably just take a few days off and calm down.

RE: I Got Bad Luck in a Game. Now I Can't Play good.

Infinity said:
I can't figure it out. I used to win a lot. I went to a meeting this week. Got bad luck, and went 3-4. Now, I officially suck.
Because luck totally determines your skill.
Don't let the losses get you down. Everybody loses.

I've heard of this before. My friend has the same problem since he grinded into worlds. I was pretty unlucky until this format happened, but then again I also started to be an actually decent player when States started. In between rounds, I think the best thing to do is hang around friends that would rather not listen to your complaining. You can tell that they feel sorry for you, but ever so slightly you can tell that they're tired of the complaining, and talking about you, mostly. This is good. Let them take you to another subject. That's the friendly thing to do, and in the end, it'll help you. Even if they talk about THEIR loss, it's still good.

Lunch break is another way to relieve stress. In big tournaments, the lunch break is very long. I usually have time to eat lunch at my own pace and play on my 3DS with other people with the other hour. Whatever you do for this break, don't play. Just focus on the ambiance of the event. Tournaments, especially BIG tournaments, have a lot of other things that make them so much fun aside the games. Check out the vendor, the lines should be smaller. If you have a 3DS, tag people. Trade. If you're at a nice location, wander around the hotel/store.

Anyway, I hope your bad luck streak ends. Basically, just turn your focuses elsewhere after you've analyzed why you lost (And if it really was just pure bad luck, don't) and you'll be fine.

It's not the bad luck that is the problem. I'm off my game now because I went 3-4 in the first place.
I can't concentrate , and I make dumb choices in the game.

Infinity said:
It's not the bad luck that is the problem. I'm off my game now because I went 3-4 in the first place.

Don't touch your deck for a week or so.. Take a few weeks off and relax. Don't think about Pokemon. That's what I do after an off-week.

I actually did go 1-4 using Terrakion, then a low resistance 3-1 with Zekeels the week after and a 5-0 with Zekeels two weeks later with barely any playtesting. Just take your mind off winning for awhile just so you don't feel the pressure. Situations like this are mostly psychological in nature.

Infinity said:

Then change the title :p

Right now, you just need to change things up. Change who you're testing with, your deck, or how much you test. Just taking a little breat works too.

I know how to solve the problem. Start concentraing and stop making dumb choices.

Well, my work here is done. Off to help another poor soul.

:p

Sometimes the game can be really frustrating even I got way too frustrated it made me think twice on quitting because the lack of good cards and my bad luck. I wish they made cards cheaper so everyone has a fair advantage it feels like you have to have alot of money to play this game sadly. I love collecting since it's been a good hobby of mine and it does help out really bad depression it makes me feel like I've accomplished something it is a really great feeling. If you ever quitted the game you can stick with collecting it does help out the stress & the frustration and always taking a break does help out too it allows you to not to worry yourself about this game. I hope this post helped you out Infinity.

Back