Holo Tupac...

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
Why can't we just accept certain things for the way they are instead of using technology as a scapegoat to try to solve those problems when it at times doesn't solve the problem at all?

If we accepted things the way they are, technology wouldn't exist. Technology pushes those boundaries to make life easier for one another. The problem is entertainment. If the government can't provide entertainment, then they can't distract the public. If they can't distract the public, then people will remain smart and spread the word about the greedy hidden acts the government does. Not only that, but advertisements. Most entertainment has advertisements SOMEWHERE. In the case of a concert, they'd probably be outside into the little area where you get snacks. Advertisements are also a huge money maker, and they sell us into the stuff that they want us to buy. If a McDonald's commercial comes on, the customer will be hungry for McDonald's and buy a Big Mac. This gives money to the hospitals, and, more importantly, the pharmacists, when their body has eaten too much. I could go on and on. So yeah, entertainment is probably the biggest problem yet.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
19143925.jpg

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Matryoshka said:
If we accepted things the way they are, technology wouldn't exist. Technology pushes those boundaries to make life easier for one another. The problem is entertainment. If the government can't provide entertainment, then they can't distract the public. If they can't distract the public, then people will remain smart and spread the word about the greedy hidden acts the government does. Not only that, but advertisements. Most entertainment has advertisements SOMEWHERE. In the case of a concert, they'd probably be outside into the little area where you get snacks. Advertisements are also a huge money maker, and they sell us into the stuff that they want us to buy. If a McDonald's commercial comes on, the customer will be hungry for McDonald's and buy a Big Mac. This gives money to the hospitals, and, more importantly, the pharmacists, when their body has eaten too much. I could go on and on. So yeah, entertainment is probably the biggest problem yet.

Well it's a persons choice If they want to be distracted by entertainment, there are already people out there who are smart that are trying to spread the word about the greedy hidden acts the government does especially video game companies nowadays that take advantage of players by charging them money for stuff they normally wouldn't of done back in the 90's. Entertainment isn't as much of a problem as much as it is a necessary "evil" to help people live out their lives to the fullest and to relieve them of stress. It seems like the further we're getting with this discussion it's heading towards politics so I'll end it there.

Like I said I'm grateful for the advances we've made in technology so far, my problem regarding it is with people who purposely design certain types of technology without thinking of the consequences it could end up creating whether it has positive or negative effects on society. The negative effects of it is what worries me the most, but humans regardless of how intelligent they are, are alot of times blinded by their own stupidity without even realizing it and it's one of the reasons why we alot of times forget that the world we live in is so fragile because we often times take it for granted. It proves how much we are flawed as a species but that shows how human we are. Nobody is perfect.

Zero

Renegade Writer
Card Slinger J said:
Well it's a persons choice If they want to be distracted by entertainment, there are already people out there who are smart that are trying to spread the word about the greedy hidden acts the government does especially video game companies nowadays that take advantage of players by charging them money for stuff they normally wouldn't of done back in the 90's. Entertainment isn't as much of a problem as much as it is a necessary "evil" to help people live out their lives to the fullest and to relieve them of stress. It seems like the further we're getting with this discussion it's heading towards politics so I'll end it there.

Like I said I'm grateful for the advances we've made in technology so far, my problem regarding it is with people who purposely design certain types of technology without thinking of the consequences it could end up creating whether it has positive or negative effects on society. The negative effects of it is what worries me the most, but humans regardless of how intelligent they are, are alot of times blinded by their own stupidity without even realizing it and it's one of the reasons why we alot of times forget that the world we live in is so fragile because we often times take it for granted. It proves how much we are flawed as a species but that shows how human we are. Nobody is perfect.
I don't think you understand the appeal of Holo Tupac. To understand the appeal of Holo Tupac, I'd highly recommend you watch this video.. Done? Go watch it again? Did you like it? I did. The video I linked involved cats and piano. The cat was clearly not playing the piano, but the novelty of the idea made it entertaining. The music on its own could be entertaining, and the cat probably isn't very entertaining on its own, but putting the two together made a very fun-to-watch video. Same goes for Holo Tupac. I don't think anyone in that audience thought that Holo Tupac was real. They went to listen to Tupac's music, and to watch the novelty of the idea.

Next, you're insulting my industry. Video game companies do not "distract [with] entertainment" nor do they "take advantage of players by charging them money". The video game industry has changed A LOT since the 90's. The first goal of Video Games is to entertain. Video Game developers want to release a good product that can be enjoyed by the masses. As far as costs go, the costs are different, but I feel they are more fair than in the 90's. In the 90's, the goal of game designers was to make you pay as much as you could. Arcades were the primary sources of income for video games. If you die as many times as possible, you continuously pay to play the game. Therefore, we as developers made insanely hard games in the 90's to make people continue popping quarters. Now, people are able to buy content on a whim. I'd say that's far more fair than the costs in the 90's. People didn't buy DLC and what/not in the 90's because they couldn't... so of course video game companies didn't charge for DLC in the 90's.

You're the one who's bringing up politics. Also, not all smart people "spread word about the greedy hidden acts the government does". Other smart people like to watch kitties play piano. Other smart people like to read books about things that actually matter. Other smart people like to invent things to entertain others. Quick question? You're all up for anti-government nonsense... do you support Anonymous's acts? I'd love your opinion on Anonymous.

If we halt the growth of technology based on knee-jerk reactions that those technologies are "icky", nothing will happen. Moore's Law is definitely in effect... you can't stop it. Technology will constantly grow. The only way to stop the growth of technology is to bring us into a major depression or remove the free market from society. Obviously, neither of which are going to happen. We WILL make negative technologies, but we will make awesome new forms of technology. Things like Holo Tupac are harmless at best. They are cute, and fun ways for people to spend money.

The issue with your argument is that it can apply to many things. Why do we continue developing medicine? TO CURE PEOPLE! What if a medicine we design causes the zombie apocalypse? Oops :p The point is that we shouldn't stop growing for fear of the consequences. Even major developments like nuclear powers and nuclear weapons were not bad. Those two things were natural progressions from our technologies when they were being developed. Nuclear weapons...well they did tons of harm to the Earth, but we recovered. When working with volatile products, such as nuclear-anything, scientists and developers are very careful that they know what they are doing before releasing the product into the world. There can be problems in a new product, but developers are always careful to makesure they fix the problems that are encountered with the product.

What I'm saying is that the growth of technology is organic. It will grow where necessary and it will cut back where necessary. Like science, technological advancement is a self-correcting process. If there is no market for a product, it will fail no matter how good it is. Therefore, good products will tend to succeed over bad products.

I can tell you for a fact that robots that take over the world are nowhere in our immediate futures. Robots that hold a conversation and that can feed old people with forks and knives... those robots might be in our future soon.

A few tangents later, I'm done :) I hope you understand that technology isn't evil in any form. It can have "mistakes" happen, but those are justified mistakes and can typically be corrected.

Card Slinger J

Aspiring Trainer
Well I apologize If I offended your industry and it was not my intention to do so, however as you can tell already I'm not a futurist myself. I do have a deep fascination with the distant past for some reason maybe because times back then were just simplistic and felt more normal, sure it wasn't perfect and technology wasn't as convenient as it is nowadays but at least issues going on in society weren't as crazy as things are right now.

As for the whole robots taking over the world thing I was referring to self aware artificial intelligent robots blending in with modern day society with humans like in those Science Fiction shows and spin-offs. A point where robots with that kind of AI might become so smart and intelligent that they could one day wipe out humanity to become the dominant species of planet Earth. Sounds crazy I know but that's why we shouldn't go there as a society.

My opinion on Anonymous? Well I admire them for upholding civil liberties of Americans who use the Internet and also defend the U.S. Constitution but aside from that they've done some reckless things that I don't approve of like hacking into Government websites just to try to prove a point, what point exactly? I have no idea to be honest. It's one thing to defend people's civil liberties online but to be all vigilante about it isn't the way to go. They're no better than the Government is in regards to that sort of thing.