Ban Mewtwo EX?

The Pikachu Mafia said:
yeah they will make a tin/box for it or SOMETHING to bring the price down if 3rd party companies strat making too much $$ off of it :/ (which is already happening :p)

Why would pokemon care how much money the 3rd party companies are making?

Cause TCPI wants to be the only ones to make a real major profit off of their cards.... I heard that's why they gave yanmega a box....

Zero said:
Not that I have any intent of joining this thread, but I found this comment funny. The card would actually be less oppressive because it would prevent Mewtwo wars. Just sayin' ;)

My 2 cents: TPCi should not care about the price of cards. We, the players, made Mewtwo EX expensive. Supply and demand. Mewtwo EX is very good, but not broken beyond belief. Decks are winning without Mewtwo, so the card isn't overly oppressive. Banning the card would be stupid overall... setting such a strong precident is never a good idea.
*precedent

Only post I read in this thread, because Zero's my trusted source of TCG opinion. ;3
But really, Mewtwo does not cause overcentralization, so still don't see the reason for its ban.

The Pikachu Mafia said:
Cause TCPI wants to be the only ones to make a real major profit off of their cards.... I heard that's why they gave yanmega a box....

If TCPI had really wanted to make profit off of Yanmega, they would have released the box wayyyy before they did.

I'm not so sure about that.....

if yanmega wasn't worth what is was then people wouldn't be going crazy over buying TM packs which would result in less money (despite how successful yanmega actually was, if every kid got 2-4 yanmega prime challenge boxes then the profits would quickly go away. Opposed to every kid having to buy 36+ packs)

Also they released the yanmega box right before he lost almost all his value anyways, (showing they study the metagame really well....) they might try a similar approach with mewtwo (giving him a tin or something right before he was about to drop anyways) to maximize their gain....

The Pikachu Mafia said:
I'm not so sure about that....

if yanmega wasn't worth what is was then people wouldn't be going crazy over buying TM packs which would result in less money (despite how successful yanmega actually was, if every kid got 2-4 yanmega prime challenge boxes then the profits would quickly go away. Opposed to every kid having to buy 36+ packs)

Also they released the yanmega box right before he lost almost all his value anyways, (showing they study the metagame really well....) they might try a similar approach with mewtwo (giving him a tin or something right before he was about to drop anyways) to maximize their gain....

You pretty much summed up my point.

so you agree with me that's why they didn't make a yanmega box earlier? (because it was bad for profits)

anyways I feel that mewtwo is a little overpowered since he's not like yanmega or even Luxray X where if you didn't have them, you weren't dead.....

as evidenced by this thread here, you're not dead without a Mewtwo EX either.

Mewtwo EX is just a card that causes centralization but is by no means broken.

also
Aaron said:
It's a kids game...

lol. Last nats I went to, there were roughly 175 Juniors compared to 500+ Masters. You can't say Pokémon is a kids game, otherwise people like Myself, PMJ, Zero, Zyflair, and WPM would have no interest in Pokémon whatsoever. Just want to throw that out there.

Teapot said:
lol. Last nats I went to, there were roughly 175 Juniors compared to 500+ Masters. You can't say Pokémon is a kids game, otherwise people like Myself, PMJ, Zero, Zyflair, and WPM would have no interest in Pokémon whatsoever. Just want to throw that out there.

Well, it is, and that is the way TPCI views it. Those 175 juniors will spend more money on their packs and other merchandise than those 500 masters who smartly wait to buy singles, and that's all they care about. It's their target audience for the game. It's okay to admit that. :p

Pokemon is not a kids game. That's an ignorant statement.

Mewtwo, while I agree is way to OP, isn't 100% broken. I understand that people argue "You need it to win against every matchup", but I don't fully agree. Also I don't think TPCI would ever ban a card that so many people have spent hundreds of dollars on.

Aaron said:
Well, it is, and that is the way TPCI views it. Those 175 juniors will spend more money on their packs and other merchandise than those 500 masters who smartly wait to buy singles, and that's all they care about. It's their target audience for the game. It's okay to admit that. :p
Where do those single cards come from? Packs that stores buy and open. Pokemon is advertised to children, but it is still a game that has a very large audience. Not a kids game. Kids game are simple and easy to understand. Pokemon is easy to start playing, but difficult to master. Look at the top cuts over time... very good players consistently get cut. This shows that the game can be mastered by highly skilled players.

Anyways, mewtwo has been proven to be a skilltesting card. Knowing when to play it is difficult and mewtwo wars can be lost by doing something stupid. It warps the format, but this is possibly for the better. It should definitely not be banned.

Aaron said:
As others have said, Mewtwo saps the fun out of the deck-building process because it's perceived that you MUST have a counter to it to stand a chance. What's the most efficient and splashable counter? Mewtwo, itself... I don't see how anyone can call that healthy.

This ^

Yeah that is one of the most annoying aspects of the current metagame Pre-Dark Explorers in terms of skill is that you and your opponent's decks are doing what they are built to do and each player takes about 2-3 prizes and there ALWAYS comes down to that one point in the game where one player looks at the other players board and they're like, "Oh crap I'm going to lose If I don't play my Mewtwo, I have to play my Mewtwo to KO their Active Pokemon." That's the only way you see yourself winning games these days at least competitively.

When that point comes, it turns into a constant N, Juniper, PONT, or can I get a Return KO until that last prize is drawn in EVERY game. You're playing a decent game and there comes a point where Mewtwo has to be played and If your Opponent doesn't have a Mewtwo to respond to it then the other player wins pretty much. It gets more into the realm of luck over skill, it comes down to If you would've drawn into a specific card in most games. Count the amount of Junk Arms, PlusPowers, and Dual Balls your Opponent has in their Discard Pile cause that's usually critical for Mewtwo winning games. Know how many Switches you and your opponent plays, how many Mewtwo are being played as well.

Now I've started to be an advocate for recommending needing to slap Eviolite on Mewtwo in 99% of decks played nowadays, moreso in the Terrakion variant matchup and I do believe it can make or break games. Like for instance some guy was playing a Kyurem Deck at Illinois States and managed to get a 5 PlusPower KO with Kyurem EX only because his Opponent's Active Mewtwo EX didn't have an Eviolite attached to survive the hit. Had the Mewtwo survived, the player would've had the advantage against Kyurem. A 5 PlusPower KO with Junk Arm is just very rare for games these days. If you're running CMT and you're not running 2-3 Eviolite with 3 Mewtwo then you're obviously not playing your deck correctly, maybe you are and you just didn't need Eviolite but it can matter depending on matchups you go up against.

Yes, knowing how many resources you and your opponent have played is part of the skill in the game overall, not just Mewtwo. Still don't see where the complaints are.

Also, as a counter to one of your other points, an Eviolited Mewtwo counters everything...except other Mewtwo. Still only takes 5 Energy between both for KO, which is very easy.

Well yeah Eviolited Mewtwo helps against Terrakion/Landorus, Quad Terrakion, and Donphan If you're running ZekEels. I would recommend 3 Mewtwo for every deck but the trouble with it is when you open the game with it and you have no way to retreat it out unless you Skyarrow with 1 energy.

EX's in general make for terrible starts in the game and there's really not much getting around it aside from Super Scoop Up or Skyarrow depending If the EX only has 1 retreat like for example Shaymin EX and Raikou EX. Raikou EX is too situational to be played, I'm sorry it just is and it all comes down to trying to Double Dynamotor before they disrupt that acceleration with Catcher a card you know is coming but you don't know when.

Card Slinger J said:
Well yeah Eviolited Mewtwo helps against Terrakion/Landorus, Quad Terrakion, and Donphan If you're running ZekEels. I would recommend 3 Mewtwo for every deck but the trouble with it is when you open the game with it and you have no way to retreat it out unless you Skyarrow with 1 energy.

EX's in general make for terrible starts in the game and there's really not much getting around it aside from Super Scoop Up or Skyarrow depending If the EX only has 1 retreat like for example Shaymin EX and Raikou EX. Raikou EX is too situational to be played, I'm sorry it just is and it all comes down to trying to Double Dynamotor before they disrupt that acceleration with Catcher a card you know is coming but you don't know when.

If there is one card which is better than a Mewtwo, it's pokemon catcher. It is an offensive and defensive card which Vileplume can take out... BUT THATS PRETTY MUCH IT. It can be in every deck, and costs around 10$ for 1, (still expensive), but you can kill a ton just by using it when a mewtwo pops out, and you catcher their weaker pokemon out... then it's a war about can mewtwo have any bench... and if he cant, then it makes him weak and game if he's the only one left. witha terrekion, you can catcher many EX's and take them out, and like that, you're in the lead from a revenge kill. you might die then, but you're one up on him. Catcher is the game maker these days I believe.

The Pikachu Mafia said:
pokemon catcher isn't broken, if it was they would have banned gust of wind years ago....

Pokemon Catcher is definitely OP. That does not mean it needs to be banned, as it can work in any deck, so it does not give one deck a humongous advantage and there can't be an unbeatable deck that revolves around Catcher, like Sneasel.

eh it actually took some luck out of the game (although it was bad for stage 2 pokemon) because before (correct me if I'm wrong) everyone was using the flippy pokemon reversal.....

Catcher was good for the game. It kept flips and cheating out of the game (In case you guys don't know, David Richard Cheated at nats).

How was Catcher good for the game? It completely annihilated stage 2 decks. Reversal didn't do that. While it did add a little luck to the game, at least it still allowed for setup decks to survive.

Back