Yanmega (Prime) from Triumphant (#98) [2/25]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

98-yanmega.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks could it be used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
By itself, it's awful. Attacks are a bit overpriced and underpowered for an unevolving stage 1, and it's weakness is terrible with Luxray GL Lv X still around. Fighting resistance, while good, doesn't make up for its short-comings.

None. See #4.

Copycat and Judge. This will ensure that you and your opponent have the same card count in your hands. from there, it's not hard to manipulate your hand to match your opponent's, and even if you can't, said supporter cards will do the job for you.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
2.5/5 Not that attacking for free isn't good, but this is completely inferior to Gyarados, which hits for 90 damage unbelted and can use Crobat G + Poketurn support (this would be a bit hard for Yanmega Prime which relies on Copycat and Judge for support, as these take deck space). Only when Gyarados rotates out might this bug-type see some play, but its future in the TCG is uncertain... probably unfavorable, even, as it only one-shots evolving basics and there's very little, if anything that is popular, that it can hit for weakness. Even in a format without Luxchomp dominating, Zekrom + Pachirisu CL will be sure to let Yanmega Prime know that its weakness will ALWAYS be terrible for as long as it's in format.

5. How's the artwork?
It's Prime artwork. What do you expect? 4/5

Alone it's decent, good hp for a stage 1 and ok attacks. it has a terrible weakness due to luxray but a decent resistance due to donphan and machamp.
I've seen it used in decks that focus on it.
Copycat and judge would be perfect with this because of it's body. It could attack for free.
I give it a 4/5. I've been testing a Yanmega deck on redshark and its very good. You can attack immediatly once you use a judge/copycat.
5. How's the artwork?
I love the art 5/5

On a side note, I actually got a yanmega prime today :D

Yanmega Prime isn't the best card to be playing right now. There are too many other cards/decks out there which are faster (Gyarados) or destroy it do to weakness (Luxray). With the format shift it may see more action however. A grass type that isn't weak to fire is nice if grass becomes a good type to use in the new format.

None that I know of. It could be teched into any deck with Judge/Copycat so it could come out and attack for free, however I'm not sure how effective of a strategy this would be.

Judge and Copycat will make it so Yanmega can attack for free, and by the time you run out of them.. you should have Yanmega powered up. Also other draw/discard trainer's can help manipulate your hand to be the same as your opponent. It could be nice with Jumpluff as Jumpluff attacks for only one energy and Yanmega doesn't technically need any if you play your cards right.

I give it a 2/5 just because there isn't alot of support for hand manipulation outside of Judge/Copycat and potential draw/discard trainers.

5. How's the artwork?
3/5.. it's ok.. but all the prime artwork is pretty similar... but then again, it's a Yanmega.. it doesn't exactly emote well.

It requires the help of Judge and Copycat to help make it good. Maybe a Spiritomb TM with a PONT may also work. I don't think it is worth being played.
There are no metagame decks that revolve around Yanmega Prime. For good reason. While the PokeBody may have been useful, it would probably excel if it didn't have terrible attacks. {G}{C} for 40 snipe? Crobat Prime can snipe for 10 less damage for {P}. {G}{G} for 70 {C}o resistance? Please. Lucaroi CL has the same effect and it isn't even a Prime.
As mentioned above, the two most obvious ones are used in conjunction with Judge and Copycat, with VS Seeker, Junk Arms, and maybe a Spiritomb TM/PONT combo. the combined total of turns you can attack for free is...
20 approx.
2/5. IMO not worth being played.
5. How's the artwork?
Being a Prime, it generally should have good artwork. While it's not very prominent, there are flwoers in the background, whicvh I think do not suit Yanmega. either way, I give it 4.5/5

1. For a Stage 1, 110HP is pretty good I guess, not counting the Wailords and perhaps second to Donphan Prime amongst its peers and the ability to attack for free if you have the same number of cards as your opponent. However, having an electric weakness is terrible, it'll get creamed by Raichu HGSS with just one energy, iron tail could eat it up for just 2 heads. Amongst its fellow primes, it must watch out for Lanturn Prime and Electrode,though the former is a greater threat.

2. No clue, probably too new as it is.

3. Supporters such as Judge, Copycat. If not, any trainer or supporter that allows you to draw cards and for a pokemon, I think Noctowl from HGSS would be nice, both have attacks that are affected by number of cards in your hand. Plus night sight allows you to draw cards and perhaps activate its pokebody( Yanmega's).

4. 3.5/5 As it is, most likely to be a speed attack, come out and beat up opponent before they can really get a foothold, could be eaten alive by Raichus as it is or any Electric that does tons of dmg for 1-2 energy. And in late game, it may lack dmg to hurt the hard hitters.

5. 4/5, one of the better artwork on a prime.

it is pretty good on its own considering it is only a stage 1. It is definitely worth playing.

You can again play it with Celebi and Celebi Prime. Also leafeon would be a suggestion.

You can play it with Noctowl to use drawing power to get even cards or even play judge.

4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by
rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I'd give 4.5 / 5

5. How's the artwork?
PERFECT! Drama, Pictoly, and Stylish

110 for Stage 1 is really good. Hitting for free has lots of potential. Of course it is worth being played!
Metagame...no one, I think.
I have a deck with this buggy, and its really awesome. Of course Copycat and Judge help with this, but you can usually have the same number in many other ways. Sunflora combos really well, as well as BTS for fast evolution. Shaymin, both revenge and +40 ones, are really good for this deck, as support and revenge killing for free. Giratina PL with a Judge-like power helps too, as well as Junk Arm...there are lots of ways to combo.
4/5. I know that on my area Luxchomp and Dialgachomp are not that popular, so i take an advantge. However, I have Umbreon teched in so I can take a chance against those decks plus Lostgar and Mewperior. It is a really fast deck, than can sweep many things before they are out.
5. How's the artwork?
4/5 I like it, I am really used to it xD

For now (until Black and White rule changes mess up the rare candy), it has the same game-breaking strategy as a Donphan Prime. Hit hard and fast. However, your entire deck has to be built around it. All grass! Once the rule change takes effect, I doubt anyone will use Donphans or Yanmegas effectively.

¡¿what's a metagame deck?!

I'll just make a quick deck right here. Start with Yanmega Primes, follow with Metapod from HGSS (with the amazing poke-body "Green Shield" – all grass types have no weakness), follow that with a HGSS Sunflora (or two) and its poke-body "Sunshine Grace" to nab a grass type from your deck every turn, lay down the coup with Undaunted's Vespiqueen (poke-body is "Defense Sign" which makes your all-grass bench invincible). I recommend a Sableye with "Overeager" & "Impersonate" for this deck as well as either Cherrim – Cloudy or sunny – from Platinum Arceus (either decrease attack damage to your grass pokémon by 10 or increase your grass type attacks by 10 depending on which Cherrim you use, or both).

Obviously your need 4 of each supporter, Judge and Copycat. Rare Candies and Expert Belts help exponentially. Also, the stadiums Broken Time-Space and Miasma Valley (if they're still legal?!?) make this deck a speed demon. I also recommend Shaymin & its Lv X. The biggest issue with these last few cards listed is that they are endangered (on the chopping block for becoming obsolete...)

A friend tried this overall strategy but added jumpluffs, these are rather slow though.

Judge and Copycat are a necessity to use Yanmega's pokebody (and subsequent attacks), also an entire grass-type deck helps.

5/5. Utter Domination Factor!

5. How's the artwork?
4.5/5, it's a prime, what do you expect?

Back