Sharpedo from Triumphant (#30) [2/24]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
cotdcopy.png

30-sharpedo.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. Analyze the stats of the card (HP, Weakness, Resistance, Retreat cost).
2. Analyze the attacks (and/or Poke-Powers, Poke-Bodies) of the card.
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. What techs can you use to combat the weak points?
5. How's the artwork?
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).

Posts MUST be more than one sentence long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted.

1. Average HP, Terrible Weakness, Lack of resistance hurts, Meh RC.
2. Strip Bare- Wow,a 25% chance of doing something useful? No thanks.
Rage- For 1 DCE more, it won't be super useful as Sharpedo will probably be OHKO'd a lot, not slowly building up damage.
3. Maybe Donphan Prime's Earthquake To power up rage a little??
4. Not much more than the odd expert belt, which you can slap on almost anything...
5. I don't really like it. 2/5
6. 1/5. Just not useful at all.

Solid Hp for a stage 1, bad weakness with luxray, no resistance, and good retreat cost.
Strip bare is great for disrupting your opponent and rage is pretty good if sharpedo has a couple damage counters on it.
Maybe use it as a disruption tech.
Donphan prime or machamp for sure for countering luxray.
5. How's the artwork?
I like this art style that some cards in the HGSS series have. 4/5
6. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
I'll give it a 3/5. Its not an amazing card but with right strategy can be helpful.

1.Sharpedo isn't entirely powerful - but he's only a stage one, and for a stage one, he's about average.
2. This is why this card is worth playing; his two attacks are INSANE! Strip Bare, for one energy, can do 20 damage (+10 with special darks, and +20 w/expert belt =50!), but its not the damage that matters for this attack (though I wouldn't dismiss it) - its the effect. Some may feel a little iffy about relying on this to work, and they'd be right in feeling that way -but when it works...HOLY MAN! What a pain in the back for the opponent!
Sharpedo's other attack is fantastic because it can do so much damage! With an average cost of 3 energies, Rage takes advantage of the damage that gets done to Sharpedo. I've hit with 170 using Rage before (50 {normal damage} + 80 {amount of dmg on Sharpedo} + 20 {expert belt} + 20 {two special darks}) One word - - AWESOME.
3. In my old "League Fun" deck, I would combo Sharpedo with Slowking from HGSS and Weavile from UD, and Team Rocket's Trickery. The idea was to destroy the opponents hand (which could be done in many other ways) with Sharpedo's attack and trickery, then control what they drew during their next turn with Second Sight (Slowking). I through Weavile in there because he was a dark type with Feint Attack (awesome attack) and his power let me get rid of any card in my opponents hand (judge, oaks, etc) that could possibly help my opponent get his hand back.
4. Since you're going to lose a Pokemon pretty early in the game, I used black belt and twins. These cards can get you back up to speed if you've lost a Pokemon early on (which probably isn't a bad thing sometimes - Jirachi RR starter)
5. I'm so used to Ken Sugimori art from back in the day, but I LOVE the art that came from the HGSS sets! This card is fruity and alive! The image of Sharpedo surfacing like a real shark is breathtaking! This card matches his Basic stage from the same set - making it even more incredible! These new Pokemon artists deserve three thumbs up!
6. This card deserves at least a 3.5. It can be comboed, is pretty easy to set up, looks cool, and is fun to play at league!

Average hp, crappy weakness, typical resistance, and awful retreat cost. For a Pokemon that's supposed to swim at speeds in excess of 75MPH, it should retreat for free.

For 1{D}, Strip Bare can Eff stuff up. This is probably the sole reason to use this card, since Rage is awful with Sharpedo's HP. If you hit double heads, your opponent discards their entire hand! An amazing effect if there ever was one. As far as Rage goes, Sharpedo can't survive enough hits to make it useful. Since Strip Bare can cripple an opponent if you hit double heads, that alone makes it alright for League play, but that's about it.
Probably Handoom. That's about all I can think of.
Something that is a {F} type, maybe Donphan Prime. It could also be used to put damage counters on Sharpedo to some effect.
5. How's the artwork?
1/5. Too cartoonish. Should look a lot more menacing and fierce.
I give it a 2/5 for Strip Bare alone, because that effect can't be found anywhere else, but as a whole, Sharpedo is a pretty sub-par Pokemon.

Back