Question about starting a Lets Play (or, LP)

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
So, I've been watching a lot of Chuggaaconroy lately, and it got me to want to make a LP. But my question is, what equipment do you need? I mean, you don't just take a camcorder and record to get the picture and sound quality LPers do. You know how all you see is the game being played? What is needed to achieve that? Do you play it through your computer or something? xD

Zenith

||||
You can use an emulator on the computer with the program CamStudio (or something better). If you want to record straight from a television, you need a capture card, which can be a bit expensive. Dazzle generally makes the best ones.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I'll look into that Capture Card. Is it something that's very confusing to use? I'm not exactly the smartest in technology, unless it's game systems. ^^;

Because one thing for sure, I don't want to use an emulator. What with the downloading of ROMs to play on it and all.

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
I don't have a Mac. =/

So, what Video Editing Program is there if you don't have a Mac?

Setzer (Harry)

*Evil Laugh Here*
@Sylv Yep. "Cost". That's a funny word. If you ignore it, all of your problems go away.

Though Vegas would be the best choice.

I know that you do have an objection against Emulators, but it tends to be the cheapest and least risky. What games are you planning on LPing?

SotS

Cycling the Stress Away
That I still haven't decided. I've got like, at least 50 Gamecube and Wii games when you combine them. xD There's a lot of stuff on Virtual Console I'd like to do, Super Metroid being one of them. I'd also like to do Other M and Galaxy 2. Those are my top 3 I'm thinking of right now. Obviously you'd decide something else while playing hours of games though.

A possible biggish dilema is, I don't know if it'd be confusing to get the videos on Youtube. The only TV in our house is a 50-inch, and I don't even want to know what cropping would do to images, if it's necessary. (The TV was my dad's 50th B-day present which the whole family went together for. In case you think we're rich or something, lol.)

Setzer (Harry)

*Evil Laugh Here*
You have a 50-Inch TV, yet you're on Pokebeach?

You're probably going to have to settle on a capture card. Though the card should take care of the size difference, so there won't be that much of a problem.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
ive been thinking about making a LP for b/w when it comes to america, do i just download the software, hook it up with a USB or similar device for the DS and im ready to go? or do i have to download the ROM to my computer and not use my DS at all?

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
^id rather use my actual game, will it actually look good if i use a good, fairly new digital camera?