'Battle Style' is March's Set, Introduces New Single Strike and Rapid Strike Cards!

• Zubat/Golbat/Crobat - when I first see the card before translation was up, I thought it'll be the reincarnation of bats from PHF. It wasn't. Its a budget Crobat V. I don't think Eternatus VMAX will play these cards since they have 4 Crobat V already. 3/3/3

What. How am I supposed to get excited for a Stage 2 that has a vanilla attack and an ability that was on a stage 1 two sets ago.

It almost feels like they're trying to keep single-prize Pokémon as boring as possible in order to stop Standard from being potentially overrun by "Evolution", if they decide to make it a format.

These were pretty “meh” cards. If Golbat drew 3 like Bewear, Manectric, and other Stage 1’s with that ability it could’ve been more okay. Of course, Crobat would also have to draw 4 then, just to be better than Golbat. I don’t think this would be meta-breaking, because they’re both evolutions, and if you want a turn 2 Crobat, you need to commit 1 Bench space the turn earlier, and then 1 Rare Candy and Crobat. 4 card draws, though unprecedented, feels most right for that effort.

2 for 100 is actually a pretty good coverage attack. I don't know how I feel about a coverage Pokemon as Stage 2, but the abilities seem to be designed to make up for it with extra draw. Don't think anyone's supposed to play this for draw only. I can see it being played in SPO/Evolutions.

I wonder when they’re going to read those surveys about how to make the game state better; and more importantly- announce what the surveys said, to see if they’ll actually do what the community wants. Because this isn’t what I consider a better game state. No one asked for this.

Wow these are pretty boring I wish I had more to say about them other then it might maybe sort of work in a Eternatus VMAX but I think there are simply better options.

I could be wrong because I don't follow the meta of the TCG too much as I got really sick of it but I just don't think this card could work when there is a better (pricy though) crobat V.

I super hope these are going to replace rainbow rares. Those ugly things have long outlived their novelty and the alt arts of Tag Teams have always been far superior. We do not need more than two versions of every single ultra rare.
You KNOW they're going to keep rainbow rare VMAX's in addition to these alternate arts. (Though, I'd love to be wrong.) I thought the same thing when they were announced for Tag Teams. But TPC can't resist the urge to add ALL the different rarities. And I can't help but think of what happened with rainbow rares in the SwSh era.
Good news! V's don't have rainbow rares!
Yes! Awesome!!
They're on the full art Supporters instead!
WHY???

Wow, even more cards without the SS/RS designations. Good. I wonder how much of the set will in fact be designated.

All those Cramorant on the Rapid Strike one... That's some really solid artwork.
Wow! That IS impressive artwork! I love it when they add more landscape and think that it really gives a sense of perspective and... wait, DID YOU JUST SAY CRAMORANT!
2 for 100 is actually a pretty good coverage attack. I don't know how I feel about a coverage Pokemon as Stage 2, but the abilities seem to be designed to make up for it with extra draw. Don't think anyone's supposed to play this for draw only. I can see it being played in SPO/Evolutions.
Ditto. I mean, look at that draw power! Five cards worth of draw power over two evolutionary stages and an attack that puts Ultra Prism Yanmega to shame at 100 damage for 2 energy or a double colorless (only twenty less and for half the cost!). I’d use it in my mutant cube for the interest, only with primarily 5th and 6th gen Pokémon (and a fair number of older cards too) the combination of its attack power and the mutant evolution rule would blow virtually any other deck out of the sky. You just can’t let power creep get a hold in a cube!

That RS Urshifu Vmax alt looks so clean. Gonna have to buy at least one copy for my collection, might use it in my Urshifu deck depending on how much it will be worth. I typically don't play with expensive cards because I'm afraid they will get beat up and ruined

I've never played with these much, especially not four-of, so I've just recently realized that having multiples lets you split the energy from your Active to multiple Benched Pokemon. And that's actually pretty cool, wish it wasn't overshadowed by other items, or tight deck spaces.

that's actually pretty cool, wish it wasn't overshadowed by other items, or tight deck spaces.
I wonder how much the Standard format would change if the Pokémon Company International changed deck space from 60 cards to 61. :)
Maybe that should be a thread...

Honestly, looking way ahead, this isn't in the first swsh block which means that it is going to exist in a format without crushing hammer. In that format, exp share would make basically every energy attachment stick on the field. Like you can attack with a 1 prize attacker early and then go into a vmax unpunished once your single prizer gets koed. You can even go in with two one energy single prize attackers and then make your opponent play a 8 prize game.

Honestly, looking way ahead, this isn't in the first swsh block which means that it is going to exist in a format without crushing hammer. In that format, exp share would make basically every energy attachment stick on the field. Like you can attack with a 1 prize attacker early and then go into a vmax unpunished once your single prizer gets koed. You can even go in with two one energy single prize attackers and then make your opponent play a 8 prize game.

Well, tool scrapper is a thing, but yes - that's possible. It also makes Amazing Rares much more capable - those are hurt the most by energy losses, and this lets you save one.

Well, tool scrapper is a thing, but yes - that's possible. It also makes Amazing Rares much more capable - those are hurt the most by energy losses, and this lets you save one.
I didn't mention tool scrapper because I think some way to discard tools will be printed in the next two years but tool scrapper is in the same boat as crushing hammer. It will rotate at the same time.
And yeah, this does make amazing rares way more playable, even with hammer and scrapper.

Last edited:
I didn't mention tool scrapper because I think some way to discard tools will be printed in the next two years but tool scrapper is in the same boat as crushing hammer. It will rotate at the same time.
And yeah, this does make amazing rares way more playable, even with hammer and scrapper.

I imagine you could say the same thing about Crushing Hammer, though - it was always in standard since SUM (appearing in SUM and UPR in addition to SSH). It seems like it's likely to be further reprinted, no?

Back