August's English Set: 'Darkness Ablaze,' Plus Two New Types of Products!

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Or they'll do what they did to Babies and just stop printing them altogether. Something tells me we won't see pure Dragons again for a very long time.

Doubt it. Unlike the babies that aren't really that marketable (counted exceptions such as Pichu or Munchlax), Dragon types, mons like Dragonite, Haxorus, Goodra and Salamance and Kommo-o remain marketable (three of those are pseudos for God's sake). Not to mention that Dragonite's and Salamence other half is already colorless. What are they gonna do? Make a typeless Dratini/Dragonair?

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Doubt it. Unlike the babies that aren't really that marketable (counted exceptions such as Pichu or Munchlax), Dragon types, mons like Dragonite, Haxorus, Goodra and Salamance and Kommo-o remain marketable (three of those are pseudos for God's sake). Not to mention that Dragonite's and Salamence other half is already colorless. What are they gonna do? Make a typeless Dratini/Dragonair?

Now that Pokemon-V are Basics again, they could just skip Salamence, Dragonite, and Kommo-o's pre-evos and print them as Pokemon V.

I think Goodra and Haxorus might just get axed (haha) until further notice though. While I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't print them at all until they found a workaround (ex: changing their types à la Delta species), I think IF they do decide to make Dragons Colorless again (MDCA!) it'll still be a long time before they actually print them as such (ex: not until next year).

There's almost 900 Pokemon, including brand new Pokemon and Gigantamax formes to come in the SwSh DLC (Galarian Kanto Birds, Galarian Regis, Galarian Slowpoke, Urshifu, Calyrex, etc.) -- they can more than afford to pretend Goodra and Haxorus (and Druddigon, the only other pure Dragon) don't exist.

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This looks like nothing to complain about, so: "yawn, another Pikachu promo over something from Sword & Shield"

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Ooh nice Galarian Darmanitan! I'm huge on Darmanitan so I'll have to pick up a single of the foil at some point. That's the first foil Darmanitan since the BW Prerelease promo, right? Can't believe it's been nine years.

PatchampYoutuber

Aspiring Trainer
(The set was recently renamed to Infinity Zone due to coronavirus.)

That was never ever confirmed, it was merely speculation on Pokebeach's part.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Well why else would they reveal a set to be named "World Down" and then change the name to something else in the middle of a global pandemic? I mean yes technically it's "speculation" but sometimes the simplest solution really is the solution.

Luplayz

The Master of bad Pokemon
with the darmanitan deck, you can notice Zen Mode on it, and also noticing that the Galarian Darmanitan has new art, there might be a Galarian Zen Mode Darmanitan upcoming? but if it would be in the Theme Deck it wouldnt have its Fire Typing.

So either its that Zen Mode will be in the set without the fire typing, in the set with the fire typing, or just there to be on the deck art, but I'm really hoping for it to be in the set/deck.
I guess we'll see soon!

Darkness-Ablaze-Theme-Deck-1.jpg

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
I'm looking forward to seeing this set. I'm also looking forward to getting the Sirfetch'd Deck. I wonder if the Dracozolt, Arctozolt, Dracovish and Arctovish will be the same as Omanyte, Kabuto, Aerodactyl, Lileep, Anorith, Cranidos, Shieldon, Tirtouga, Archen, Tyrunt and Amaura, as in they will evolve from Unidentified Fossil. Would make sense here. I also wonder if we will be getting a Goomy or a Jongmo-o card. Either one of those will determine the fate of Dragon-type cards, wherther they will be retained with Psychic Weakness, or reverted back to Colorless, but with Psychic Weakness instead of Colorless (with Dragons being weak to Fairy).

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Calling it now: Galarian Darmanitan will finally be the deck that ends Charizard's dominance in the Theme Deck format.

If Zen mode Gal-Darma is as powerful as it is in-game, then Gal-Darma decks will also counter themselves (since looking at the deck box it'll probably be a Fire type card... but I guess only using Water Energy because the deck is pure Water? Weird :/).

On the other hand if the (speculated) Fire half of the deck is unusable, then the deck could be soft-countered by Zacian/Zamazenta, which in turn gets destroyed by Charizard, meaning the movement towards an RPS theme deck meta has now begun...

Probably better than just using Charizard to steamroll everyone, though, which I completely admit to doing.

Also, side note: I really hope they're not just going to re-use the Rebel Clash GD/Sirfetch'd. That is really lazy and does absolutely nothing to highlight star cards in that set. I've been pretty disappointed with that overall -- I'm sure any one of us could come up with decent theme deck ideas "starring" only Pokemon from within these massive sets and not needing to resort to other sets.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Calling it now: Galarian Darmanitan will finally be the deck that ends Charizard's dominance in the Theme Deck format.

On the other hand if the (speculated) Fire half of the deck is unusable, then the deck could be soft-countered by Zacian/Zamazenta, which in turn gets destroyed by Charizard, meaning the movement towards an RPS theme deck meta has now begun...

Probably better than just using Charizard to steamroll everyone, though, which I completely admit to doing.

In my opinion Dragonite reign supreme right now, it have a good matchup agaisnt everything in the theme deck, Charizard is good but it relies a lot on Rapidash coin flips of course is annoying when flip heads 5 time in a row... but when they dont Charizard deck isnt that dangerous also Kyogre can easily destroy Charizard while Dragonite really doesnt have a counter, Groundon can deal with the electrict types but then you switch to use your fighthing resistance pokemon, Dragonite has better covering than Charizad

Also, side note: I really hope they're not just going to re-use the Rebel Clash GD/Sirfetch'd. That is really lazy and does absolutely nothing to highlight star cards in that set. I've been pretty disappointed with that overall -- I'm sure any one of us could come up with decent theme deck ideas "starring" only Pokemon from within these massive sets and not needing to resort to other sets.

I doubt it, just for the art it looks they are new, also the zen mode in the box is intriguing, could the deck include a total of 4 GD? That will be interesting

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Made me miss buying decks. Always thought the booster boxes are what you want to buy so you can collect as much but the theme deck has always had their own charm I guess. Really nice artwork.