Pokemon Direct Announced For Thursday!

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Uh oh...

I really hope they don't announce DP remakes. I really want them, but I do NOT trust them to do a solid remake after the dumpster fire Sword and Shield was.

I really hope it's just Pokemon Home and Pokemon Sleep for 20 minutes, and a BEST case scenario that won't happen is responding to the backlash towards the games, which they won't because it sold like it was the best thing since sliced bread. And we're probably going to end up being stuck with a lackluster remake that has somehow less content than their source material.

Too negative of an outlook on it? Sure, but I really can't help it, SwSh gave me a bad feeling for what the future of the series holds unless they make some serious improvements to their development cycle.

Turtwig

Retired retired Mod. Jovimohnaeliackvid.
@AshCo I agree. I really really want PLATINUM Diamond and Pearl remakes since Sinnoh is my favorite region and generation, but Sword and Shield were way too rushed (and we can go on with all the flaws and controversies, but it's been talked about to death) and I'm terrified they'd just slap a remake together without the same spirit the originals had. I am excited for a resurgence in Turtwig memorabilia, though.

I'm expecting mainly Pokemon Home, especially since it was slated for "early 2020" without any other hint of the release date. Anything else and I'll be disappointed to be honest, at least give me some of my original Pokemon into the newest games!

As for speculations, I'd love a turn back to some of our favorite spinoffs during the "off-season" (I guess we can call) from mainline new gens. Mystery Dungeon comes to mind first, as that was definitely the most memorable and probably popular, but I'd also love another Conquest game or even Pokemon Ranger but please don't let it be touch screen, my Switch will be ruined. Stick to the remote motion. Also, can they just add some of the new Pokemon to the Pokemon Center website already? I think we're all waiting on Snom merchandise.

don()shinobi

PokeBeach's Yu-Gi-Oh enthusiast. I guess.
Tune in for Ultra Sword and Ultra Shield premieres, featuring 10 minutes of additional content and 2 new dungeons--er, hallways to explore, with Ultra Changes. That will be $59.99 plus taxes.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
I’m betting that it’s in relation to Pokémon Sleep and Pokémon Home and the integration between the games with Go, SWSH, maybe USUM, etc.

I don’t think they would be dumb enough to announce new mainline titles or remakes right now given the lukewarm reception of Sword and Shield and that they literally just released.

Or maybe it’s an announcement of patches set through the year to make Sword and Shield more complete and they admit fault for releasing a crappy game (hey, they did the same thing for Pokémon Masters).

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I’m betting that it’s in relation to Pokémon Sleep and Pokémon Home and the integration between the games with Go, SWSH, maybe USUM, etc.

I don’t think they would be dumb enough to announce new mainline titles or remakes right now given the lukewarm reception of Sword and Shield and that they literally just released.

Or maybe it’s an announcement of patches set through the year to make Sword and Shield more complete and they admit fault for releasing a crappy game (hey, they did the same thing for Pokémon Masters).

To be fair, Pokémon Masters is a _lot_ better now than it was then; but it was also a _lot_ worse. I don't think anyone thought it was a good game before that post, and plenty of people think S&S is fine (myself included), though certainly would love it to be improved.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
To be fair, Pokémon Masters is a _lot_ better now than it was then; but it was also a _lot_ worse. I don't think anyone thought it was a good game before that post, and plenty of people think S&S is fine (myself included), though certainly would love it to be improved.
I play Masters when it pops into my head, but usually no more than 5 or 10 minutes. I like everything about it but the actual way it plays. The music is good. Visuals are good. Atmosphere is lively enough. It’s just not very good at holding a person’s attention like Pokemon Go or even other mobile games like it.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
I hope Home isn't just a reskinned Bank + GTS. Please just include a handful of minigames or something. Anything to not feel like Pokemon Purgatory.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I agree that it seems likely for Pokemon Home or Sleep. I don't know if I trust them to properly handle a remake of Diamond and Pearl after their mindset for SwSh. With that attitude, they'd approach it like, "Well, I guess we're obligated to do this, so let's get this over and done with or whatever." And just do the bare minimum within a year, because their release schedules don't allow room to breathe.

It could potentially be neat, if and when it happens, though. Just imagine...
Expectations on the Switch, an HD console: Giratina, a terrifying, dark chaos creature from another dimension, tears through time and space to appear before you!! Imagine some combination of the original appearance in Platinum and the alternate art of Garchomp & Giratina GX.
GameFreak/The Pokemon Company: Aroo!!
Giratina blinks into existence in front of you and floats there.
Expectations: Oh....

Sarcastic speculation of a dark future aside, I am curious. I'll be sure to check here on Thursday.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
We've made a Sinnoh region remake!

However, since we didn't have 3d models because - insert nonsense reason here - we've cut most of the mons in Sinnoh and added 50 Charizards instead.

Enjoy!

dom

Aspiring Trainer

LOL nothing says lukewarm like average critical review scores of 8/10 and the game becoming the fastest selling switch game.

jokes aside, I know where you're coming from, but in reality it's only a vocal minority that are unhappy. (albeit an extremely vocal one)

When a game has over 700 0/10 and 400 1/10 scores(between both sword and shield) & when you see 99% of those 0-1/10 reviews just bemoan the missing pokemon or say 'gamefreak lied' you know that information isn't reliable.

The mere fact it sold so much so quickly shows the majority weren't bothered by the reusing of models, the restricting of the dex. majority of the players who've bought this game have loved it.

could the games be better ? 100% yes. but to say the games are "bad" is not even close to true.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
LOL nothing says lukewarm like average critical review scores of 8/10 and the game becoming the fastest selling switch game.

jokes aside, I know where you're coming from, but in reality it's only a vocal minority that are unhappy. (albeit an extremely vocal one)

When a game has over 700 0/10 and 400 1/10 scores(between both sword and shield) & when you see 99% of those 0-1/10 reviews just bemoan the missing pokemon or say 'gamefreak lied' you know that information isn't reliable.

The mere fact it sold so much so quickly shows the majority weren't bothered by the reusing of models, the restricting of the dex. majority of the players who've bought this game have loved it.

could the games be better ? 100% yes. but to say the games are "bad" is not even close to true.

I’m one of the people who honestly doesn’t mind cut Pokémon from the titles. I understand it from a resources perspective, but also feel GameFreak is in over their heads with annual releases and have been since the jump to 3DS and even more so with the Switch. They need some backup. Double or even triple the development staff. TPCI (and Nintendo) have the cash and sales to have backup development tenfold for a flagship franchise like Pokémon.

I also don’t think the games are bad, but you can see where it was rushed and kicked out the door to make a 2019 release. There’s a lot of rough patches in the overall presentation. When it shines, it’s fantastic. When it starts showing the rough edges, it’s just bizarre. I feel like the 3rd version/sequels will rectify all of this, but until then we’ll have to just see.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
My bets are on Pokemon Home. I think (hope) it will have 20 minutes worth of functionality to explore. I don't think I remember when a new main series title (even if it was a remake) was announced so soon after the launch of another main series game -- but I could be wrong.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon

e7a.jpg

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I don't think I remember when a new main series title (even if it was a remake) was announced so soon after the launch of another main series game -- but I could be wrong.

This is exactly why I'm not expecting a main game announcement. In comparison, there were seven months between XY's release and ORAS's announcement, six months plus a week between SM's release and USUM's announcement, then about 6 and a half months between USUM's release and LGPE's announcement. (give or take a bit on each of them but you get the idea)
Sword and Shield were released less than two months ago - even the GMax Meowth event is still running, and that was literally called an 'early purchase bonus' event. With the previous reveal dates of the mainline games, I wouldn't expect any new main games revealed until May/June time.

My bet is that it's got to do with Home and Sleep (details about both of them, release dates etc), maybe with a reveal for GMax Melmetal and/or Toxitricity. If any game is announced, I'd only expect a spinoff (and even then I'm still not expecting anything like that).

Last edited:

Wavestripe

Med Student
Honestly, I adore SwSh and think it's a way better game than people make it out to be. As someone who absolutely was not going to buy it because I felt like the cut was a major set back (my favorite pokemon isnt in the game) and the models being relatively unchanged.

However, I'm so glad I did. I've already put 200 hours into it even with my hectic school schedule, and I felt the game was just so much more enjoyable than SuMo and XY. With those I was constantly putting my console down because I got bored or felt it was way too repetitive and hand holding. SwSh felt amazing and like I couldnt stop playing for even 16 hours straight some days.

It definitely has its flaws, and I'm still sad about my fave getting cut. But I feel people are way too harsh on a game without playing it themselves. So honestly, if a DP remake did get announced I dont think it would be condemned or the end of the world. It ain't their fault for constantly being pressured to produce more games all the time. At least they gave us a pretty dang good product with the schedule they're being forcefed.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
It ain't their fault for constantly being pressured to produce more games all the time. At least they gave us a pretty dang good product with the schedule they're being forcefed.
Pretty sure releasing an unfinished game is solely on them.