Blaine's Quiz Show Banned at Worlds

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
We did it boys.
maxresdefault.jpg

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
The explanation is a bit silly. The translator would obviously have to translate the proper move depending on the Pokémon.
However, I think the card is banned so that the translator doesn't play a role during the match.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Blaine's Quiz #3 (from Gym Challenge set) is very similar to this card - why wasn't it banned as well?? o_O

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon did state next annoucement for banlist n rules is August 8th. This is prob one of them. Along with other things.

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Wow, a card nobody's going to ever play won't get played at World's.

I was sorely tempted, as European players can use a lot of different language cards. Then you have Japanese, Russian, Korean, and more. Then having to translate between languages for the names and pokemon, and as brought up, sometimes the names of attacks are slightly different between languages, making it easier for some languages and harder for others (see above). Basically, this is pretty much a fairly unconditional draw 4, and favours players with non-English cards.

Then you have the nut jobs butchering pronunciation, and could be used to put an opponent off their play, and if pronounced wrong, could lead to issues where if spoken correctly, it could be figured out.

Mysticvulpix

Just be chill
No one would play it at Worlds anyway.
Actually, I saw players thinking about it. If used right, it could’ve been a nice draw four, depending on the deck run (using Inkays attacks in mally, other attacks of lost march Pokémon, jirachi’s attack). Only issue, as iterated above, is language barriers.

Zero Umbreon

Pyromaniacal sorcerer
This makes sense. There would be so much ambiguity. For instance, say I put down a Charizard and Reshiram TTGX. How much of the name do you say? Just Charizard and Reshiram? Charizard and Reshiram GX? Charizard and Reshiram Tag Team GX?

But still, it is pretty funny.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
TFW when consider getting a PSA 10 Blaine’s Quiz Show solely so Stephane can sign the slab.

I think it could be a strong meme stock.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
Blaine's Quiz #3 (from Gym Challenge set) is very similar to this card - why wasn't it banned as well?? o_O

As someone who played from Base-Expedition, I got this.

The meta back then was A LOT different. BIG tournamrnts didn't have any legs yet, so weird interactions like this weren't even a possibility.
The meta was also LITERALLY 3 decks and the card pool was small enough that, if you played competitively, you knew the attacks of everything. We didn't have the "ambiguity strategy" like you can with Caturday and Nuzzle.

Between that and Blaine's Quiz #3 held NO WEIGHT against cards like Professor Oak and Bill, and then Item Finder for Professor Oak; there was no space for it--even in "InSaNiTy" builds that were prideful of being massive turbo decks (yes, that's how it was spelled).

Because the meta at the time of the big tournaments was literally: Wigglytuff / Muk, Slowking / Sneasel, and Steel Chansey. Even if you did pitch the argument then as we are doing now, I think they would go "who even plays that?" and that'd be that because there was a 100% chance that no one would play it. We are in a situation where that number is "99% sure no one will play it, but the ramifications of it being played are too much of a rulings conundrum to allow its use".

As a player who has purposely troll decks to high level events (and my daughter and I have some plans to do it in this game), you REALLY can't take that 1% and go "There's NO ONE that would be mad enough to do it."

There are people who would get their 550 for the year and go to Worlds with the sole intent of being a madlad--not maliciously do unfairly gets wins on opponents, but solely just for the memes. I mean, your chances of winning Worlds is super super low. Come to that realization and realize that you have a better chance of being remembered as the madlad that did it and made Worlds a headache.