SM10a \'GG End\' Mini-Set in April

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Lucario - OK for me, since it gives extra bulk to TTGX. I don't think you dedicated spaces for that. Both deck space and bench space. The ability stacks also which is cool. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Piro Meloetta - Nice first atk but we can do better. 3 Geodudes
  • Kangaskhan - Too expensive and too risky since people ran few TTGXs because they don't want the opponent gets an easy-win since these gave up 3 prizes. 2-3 Geodudes
  • Censored part - Again! I know it'll be RaiRai, TPCi, give us the RaiRai already!! And also, Girachomp's appearance is cool.

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
I like the overarching theme with these cards. It seems that all pokémon that have "Tag Team" in their card text will feature one of the Tag Team GXs in their artwork. Based on the artwork, it seems these pokémon are helping the Tag Teams before some kind of tournament.

It reminds of how the cards in Lost Thunder that mentioned Lost Zone in their card text also had a purple, shadowy void in their artwork.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Lucario + Frying Pan + Lucario&Melmetal GX = -80 damage and no weakness for L&M. Pretty cool. If only L&M had the damage output, then it would be pretty OP haha.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
YAY MORE TTGX SUPPORTERS
That is incorrect! The correct answer was “NO, MORE TTGX SUPPORTERS!” Now, please take your $300 and leave the stage!
Alright, this is ridiculous. Even though these Pokémon won’t amount to much (except Kangaskhan hitting 250 T2 w/ Kiawe), this is still a message being sent by Pokémon. I think it either reads “Submit to the rule of Tag Teams” or “Play Tag Teams,” but we’ll have to wait on Tunu to translate that.
Seriously though. This is getting ridiculous.

Nyora

A Cat
Right, there’s another point I forgot to add. Tag Teams are powerful enough! Why give them support, besides perhaps to send a message?
I swear to god Gen 8’s first set better not add Pokémon-REEEEEEEEEEE X or some broken crap like that

TheEm01

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Right, there’s another point I forgot to add. Tag Teams are powerful enough! Why give them support, besides perhaps to send a message?

They do this kind of thing all the time. Making support for other cards isn’t bad. Tag teams are great, but they are by no means broken. Just my objective opinion, however.

That being said, I’m stoked about that lucario for the melmetal/lucario GX combo. :)

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The danger with power creep is that luck of the draw becomes the dominant determinant of who wins games, not player skill and decisions.

For example, PikaRom can attach on T1 (going second) with a lucky draw (attach + koko prism for an energy onto the bench + thunder mountain + jirachi escapes/switches out) - and his raw power wins games before the opponent can set up. Even if PikaRom sets up on turn two, that's still game winning power with minimal thought and all based on draw.

This ruins the game since matches are better when they go back and forth and require both players to make decisions that decide the match.

The Tag Team mechanic is already infusing a little power creep. I don't think amplifying the mechanic is a wise idea. Too often, PTCG underestimates the Meta and players find ways to combine the cards that they didn't see/intend. That's the thing about power creep - it won't be the first set of cards that does it, it will be the second or third set when the combinations come together. Here's how you will know when we crossed the tipping point: 50% of matches get determined by luck of the draw in the first two turns. (this killed MTG)

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
This really reminds me of Lost Thunder, where cards that involved the Lost Zone had Lost Zone portals in their Artwork. This time, cards that involve TTGX's have Tag Teams in their artworks. OP's on the cards.
  • Lucario - If on a basic, I'd play it. But it isn't....
  • Meloetta - If I wanted to attatch an Energy, I would have used my attatchment for turn on a TTGX, not on you Meloetta
  • Kangaskhan - The most playable of the bunch for me. Use it in a Turbo EeveeLax deck with Kiawe (which does rotate about 4 weeks after this comes out) and hit 200/250 T2.
Is it just me that thinks we're going to get a card called Tag Ball that searches your deck for 2 TTGXs and puts them into your hand. I really hope not...

K_la

Aspiring Trainer
This is good news. With the tag teams low HP it is far too easy to snipe them, they truly need more support to be viable. I think what we need is a quad tag team of 1000hp, and when it dies it's game.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
The danger with power creep is that luck of the draw becomes the dominant determinant of who wins games, not player skill and decisions.

For example, PikaRom can attach on T1 (going second) with a lucky draw (attach + koko prism for an energy onto the bench + thunder mountain + jirachi escapes/switches out) - and his raw power wins games before the opponent can set up. Even if PikaRom sets up on turn two, that's still game winning power with minimal thought and all based on draw.

This ruins the game since matches are better when they go back and forth and require both players to make decisions that decide the match.

The Tag Team mechanic is already infusing a little power creep. I don't think amplifying the mechanic is a wise idea. Too often, PTCG underestimates the Meta and players find ways to combine the cards that they didn't see/intend. That's the thing about power creep - it won't be the first set of cards that does it, it will be the second or third set when the combinations come together. Here's how you will know when we crossed the tipping point: 50% of matches get determined by luck of the draw in the first two turns. (this killed MTG)
Problem on TTGXs are players are limited to run 1-3 per deck, because they don't want to give the opponent an easy-win since they gave up 3 prizes and KOing 2 of them will win the game.

SquirtleRules

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Problem on TTGXs are players are limited to run 1-3 per deck, because they don't want to give the opponent an easy-win since they gave up 3 prizes and KOing 2 of them will win the game.
For now. But if the TTGX is a starter and can win the game with a good draw+ fast/winning set up, then each deck will carry four to maximize the odds of starting with one. The player can Ultra Ball the others away.

Wechselbalg

brb
Reminder that

I know that the Japanese meta develops differently than ours due to how sets are released, but if it was viable to run decks focused on 4 TTGX cards even without specific tag team support then I wonder what the meta will look like if we keep getting stuff that buffs tag teams.

Also, I can't wait for PCL/TPC's usual elegant solution to the problem.
*a very creative "prevent damage done to this pokemon by tag team gx pokemon" gets printed*

Last edited:

VuDu-JuJu

Intergalactic Trainer/Hitchhiker
When your opponent hits it, but doesn’t OHKO it (because nothing OHKO’s Tag Teams), you simply Acerola and scoop it up.
Charizard GX begs to differ with 300 damage.
But truthfully a lot of Pokemon can OHKO Tag Teams when you hit for weakness.