'Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution' Trailer Released, Analysis and Observations!

Asrialys

Aspiring Trainer
Actually, with all CGI, I wonder if humans will even appear in this movie. I imagine we'll see faceless scientists at most...

Scoop

Literally a sheep
inb4 people start complaining about the whole "Year of Mewtwo" thing because all popular Pokemon are somehow the worst thing to exist ever.

Anyways, that poster for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution is REALLY aesthetically pleasing.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
inb4 people start complaining about the whole "Year of Mewtwo" thing because all popular Pokemon are somehow the worst thing to exist ever.

Anyways, that poster for Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution is REALLY aesthetically pleasing.

To be honest with you, I'm surprised they dont do more with Mewtwo. Its the one Legendary that doesn't get shoved in your face all the time.

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
Really appreciate the analysis and the link to the pamphlet!

Upon seeing the Detective Pikachu trailer, I was really excited by the fact that it seemed not to be pure Gen 1 fanservice like so many other cogs in the Pokemon machine targeting broader audiences. This was suggested by the fact that it included many different Pokemon, including some from the S/M era, in the trailer (even though the majority of the main character Pokemon were invariably Gen 1, like Charizard, Psyduck, Jigglypuff, etc.).

So, I'm kinda disappointed that things are pointing to Mewtwo / Mew somehow playing a role in the film. I almost wonder if it will even make the Genwunners and the people who can barely recognize any Pokemon beyond Gen 2 roll their eyes at this point if the "punchline" of the movie (for lack of a better term, sorry WPM x)) or key plot element ends up being Mewtwo related. Just a thought.

Regardless this looks really cool and I'm looking forward to learning more in the next 7 months!

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
This could be cool, id say its to blur lines between games and this as new engine will prob take another step in realism direction..

Plus its actually quite impressive pokemon still rock 2d movies after all this time, disney gave up a long time ago - i know japan likes their anime but they will want to appeal to broader audience and coaster on success and popularity following detective pikachu in the west.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Are they going to kill Ash again?
No they won't. This movie will be sensitive to younger viewers, they won't do killings in Pokemon anime.

I am so excited for the movie, yeah. It could be a remake of the first movie, like game remakes, there's always been some additions. Like possibly Melmetal or a Gen 8 mon.

TBH, I've fully watched the First Movie like, 4 years ago? It's on the XY era. And I foresighted on why movies become sensitive to young viewers, remember these movies are intended to children. I've wished that they removed or even censored in the movie, because it's like the way they promote it to children on what Pokemon anime does.
  • Stealing. Hence, evident to the Mewtwo challenged that I saw on the movie long time ago.
  • Common errors in the anime like Scyther was mistakenly called Alakazam?
  • Pokemon acting like actual animals. Pokemon and the real-life animals should be seperated a bit. (Clones vs not clones battle)
  • Killing. Like on Ash.
These won't be seen on children. Hear my plea

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I, for one, am sick of having Kanto and Mewtwo shoved down my throat!
Seriously! They just made a game and a movie about it! Good gravy! I am SICK OF IT!
NGHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
Actually, with all CGI, I wonder if humans will even appear in this movie. I imagine we'll see faceless scientists at most...

I don't see it happening, but at the same time I hope it does. The Pokemon themselves would look great, but I feel like humans would look very odd and offputting with this style and not at all appealing, but they could prove me wrong.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
No they won't. This movie will be sensitive to younger viewers, they won't do killings in Pokemon anime.

I am so excited for the movie, yeah. It could be a remake of the first movie, like game remakes, there's always been some additions. Like possibly Melmetal or a Gen 8 mon.

TBH, I've fully watched the First Movie like, 4 years ago? It's on the XY era. And I foresighted on why movies become sensitive to young viewers, remember these movies are intended to children. I've wished that they removed or even censored in the movie, because it's like the way they promote it to children on what Pokemon anime does.
  • Stealing. Hence, evident to the Mewtwo challenged that I saw on the movie long time ago.
  • Common errors in the anime like Scyther was mistakenly called Alakazam?
  • Pokemon acting like actual animals. Pokemon and the real-life animals should be seperated a bit. (Clones vs not clones battle)
  • Killing. Like on Ash.
These won't be seen on children. Hear my plea

You forgot about the main thing, Pidgeot being called Pidgeotto. That still continues to this day.

theprp30

Aspiring Trainer
Hopefully they give Mewtwo a really cool partner like Mew/Abra/Lunala/Necrozma/Hoopa/Cresselia or maybe itself as both Mega Versions and give a better Gx version in the form of a tag team compared to the one Gx we have already as a promotion and/or part of the set after Team Up.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo