Championship Point Requirements for 2018 Worlds Announced!

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Is there information on the number of players that would have qualified last year based on the 550 CP requirement? I know this wouldn't be a definitive number because those players were grinding towards 400 instead of 550, but I'm just curious.

Connor Ritter

TCG Player
Advanced Member
Is there information on the number of players that would have qualified last year based on the 550 CP requirement? I know this wouldn't be a definitive number because those players were grinding towards 400 instead of 550, but I'm just curious.

According to the Play! Pokemon Leaderboards, 52 players had 550 or more Championship Points.
550 isn't an easy number to reach and is impossible if you don't place well in at least 1 regional event. Now I've gotta go to more regionals than I expected if I want that invite.

Superstarr

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah. For the NA masters that live in an area that gets very few cups and 2 regionals within a 10hr drive then it’s time to start planning to travel to all the regionals one can possible attend in the hopes to do really well at one.

Gonna be a long and grindy season I guess.

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
When prize money is on the line, it makes sense to move in this "more exclusive" direction. Some people who go for the fun of the event and the "maybe I'll get lucky" idea will be put off, but The Pokemon Company has to make it manageable for them and the quality of their events.

blue_ellison

Aspiring Trainer
No matter how the CP requirement changes. I still think that the old system that having Nationals in each country to make sure each country having at least one person meeting the CP requirement is better.
TCPI even doesn't approve tournaments with high CP in some countries and regions makes there are some years that none of the people in these countries can get into the Worlds

birdboy2000

Bird Keeper
It feels too high for me, but that's the direction they're going in I guess. Don't like how the current system rewards regionals and intercontinentals at the expense of everything else, I miss when being successful locally could give you a chance with states and stuff without having to get on planes or drive for 5+ hours or whatever. (At least last year you could theoretically run the table at cups, but AFAIK only one person did...)

nepeta200

Aspiring Trainer
I only really like going to one event a year that being American internationals to get championship points you no longer can qualify by topping that.

ShaunTheBoufflant

Like No One Ever Was
Not being funny but why Haas Europe's not dropped as it's going to be harder for all the English players to travel as our costs are likely to go up because our stupid political leaders voted our country out of the EU. Like honestly ours should now be 250 as well all things considered

BlazeGryph

Aspiring Trainer
Ah yes, Canada once again gets screwed by needing the same number of points as the States. This has done nothing but create a toxic environment rife with overcompetitive bullies in my area.

I'm not over here arguing that getting a worlds invite should be easy. However, Canada has a lower population than the state of California and our tournament density follows that. Beyond that, the exchange rate makes it cheap for US players to attend CAD tournaments while making it prohibitively expensive for a lot of CAD players to travel south.

This is always such a sore spot for me- I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can afford my travel and my singles, and usually the time off work, but I know plenty of players who lack the funding or means of travel. So much for opening up the game beyond the usual handful of core competitive players in the TO area.

DaLoc

Aspiring Trainer
i didn’t go to challenges quarter 1 cause they are always on weekdays near me and take 2 hours of rush hour traffic to get to when they are only 30 minutes away on weekends. now i gotta waste more on gas than the actual event.

ShinyZard

Aspiring Trainer
I think this is too high and probably won't go for my invite this year because of it. But, the world championships is an exclusive event for the best players and this higher limit just pushes players to be their very best during the year in preparation for the world championship. Good luck to all those players going for their invite this year!!!

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
Ah yes, Canada once again gets screwed by needing the same number of points as the States. This has done nothing but create a toxic environment rife with overcompetitive bullies in my area.

I'm not over here arguing that getting a worlds invite should be easy. However, Canada has a lower population than the state of California and our tournament density follows that. Beyond that, the exchange rate makes it cheap for US players to attend CAD tournaments while making it prohibitively expensive for a lot of CAD players to travel south.

This is always such a sore spot for me- I'm fortunate to be in a position where I can afford my travel and my singles, and usually the time off work, but I know plenty of players who lack the funding or means of travel. So much for opening up the game beyond the usual handful of core competitive players in the TO area.
If they are being rude In canada are the really candian?