Japan's SM6+ Set, 'Dragon Storm,' Plus 'Champion Road' Mini-Set!

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
why the hell did they switch dragonite from typical G/L costs to W/L? If it was G/L at least we have Vikavolt as a viable acceleration option, now it's just another garbage dragon card unless there's some serious support in this set (probability very low).

fleshrum

Cephalophore
Guessing it's because that Dragonite and its pre evolutions are more associated with water than grass (they don't get Grass moves at all, while they learn a buttload of Water moves). Have mixed feelings about the change because Kingdra is the other Dragon Pokemon that uses Water and Electric energy for its attacks.

I'm guessing it's official: all Dragon Pokemon are lactose intolerant.

The energies used are based on the color of the Pokémon, with a handful of exceptions based on blending colors, such as Goodra. I think... But am not entirely sure... That green was chosen as yellow's parallel color for dragonite since they are predominantly one color.

ED: dratini and dragonair are blue? Hmm

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Aha turn two articuno anyone? (Only the OG players will know what I’m talking about)

My old deck was actually Articuno ex, Zapdos ex and Moltres ex. I played all three together. Best placing with it as second place at a city championships and I have been waiting such a long time for it to come back. All I need is Zapdos and Moltres and I'll be set.

Rindon

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks to Salamence ability my Vanillite, Vanillish and Vanilluxe deck is no longer any good.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Salamence seems underwhelming for sure, but Dragonite doesn't look half bad. Neither of them are worth playing if DDE isn't reprinted.

At least these GX cards can actually take consistent knockouts when they get set up, unlike Kommo-o.

No, Dragonite is terrible. Here is why. You take your deck to a competitive tournament. You sit down and think to yourself, I got this! Then you spend THREE FREAKING TURNS GETTING ENOUGH ENERGY ON THE FREAKING THING DURING WHICH TIME YOUR OPPONENT IS SLAPPING THE BEJESUS OUT OF YOU WITH *INSERT POKEMON HERE*. And that is ONE stage 2. What happens when the inevitable "oh, they smacked me for 2 turns with a full bench zoroark and now it is dead" happens? You have to start all over again with that energy OR you have to have some kind of tool on it to keep the energy OR you have to have some kind of tool on your benched Dragonite/Something Else to keep the energy. Now, let's say you pull this off and stored the energy on a Lele and for kicks, let's say another Dragonite and let's make life even better. Let's say you are running the stadium to get you up to a natural 210 so you get away with rocking an EXP share on your Dragonite. Now you just have to hit the DCE and an energy switch to set it back up! Piece of cake!

Seriously. Neither will see play and the energy cost being too high + the energy type being 2 typed + no DDE (which wouldn't be safe to begin with given all the special hate) + Stage 2 (meaning you need the candies to run it effectively) = too much set up and not enough smashing.

TheTrashMan

ya better watch out
I think that SM6b is gonna be based off of the ex era of the TCG. And if thats the case, than thats pretty cool!

Kapu Riki

Spilling the T, sipping the Tapu Cocoa
I really hope the Salamence-GX and Dragonite-GX are somewhat playable, because my friends love those Pokémon and would play TCG for them. Also, like everyone else hopes: Double Dragon Energy. I just wish they made Dragon basic energy and had that for all Dragon Pokémon

Kyle Asplund

Life is like a boomerang, it all just comes back.
That champion's road set may have some reprints of popular ex cards from the ex series. Aerodactyl ex from exStandstorm to AerodactylGX maybe?

BraviaryBoi

Anonymus
My old deck was actually Articuno ex, Zapdos ex and Moltres ex. I played all three together. Best placing with it as second place at a city championships and I have been waiting such a long time for it to come back. All I need is Zapdos and Moltres and I'll be set.
How.... how did that actually somewhat work?

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
How.... how did that actually somewhat work?

You had to actually be good at the game and unlike now, having more than one option was a good thing. I could hit, at the time every popular deck in the meta for weakness while also having nuke options for bigger threats. It was quite a fun deck to play.

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
I've never been a huge fan of dragon-type exs/gxs because of how much energy they require, but these actually seem alright. I'm just waiting on pics of their full arts...
these are more unusable now, because you actually have to evolve to stage 2, while EXs are all basic, ready for immediate use. you know how difficult is to evolve to a stage 2.