News Japan's SM3 Sets for the 20th Movie Feature Ho-Oh and Necrozma!

That's what I was thinking. Building a deck around this Gyrados would have 2 issues:

> Getting 3 magikarps into the discard pile w/o Battle Compressor
> Once Gyrados is knocked out, you can't set up a 2nd one because all of your Magikarps are in the discard pile. You could put them back in the deck w/SuperRod, but then you gotta discard them all again for the attack to be effective. Seems like a lot of work to get up to a possible 180 damage, especially with GX's running around @ 240HP and EX's with bands up over 200.

Yeah, the biggest problem will be setting up a continual stream of Gyarados. As others have mentioned Broken Time Space was the reason the Tail Revenge deck worked back in the day. Mind you, at 150HP, it's not inconceivable that the opponent will be limited to 2HKOs on your Gyarados.

The one thing that hasn't evolved in pokemon tcg is those few pokemon who are always stuck at 30hp in every print. Gyarados meanwhile has gone from 100hp to 150hp now.

I actually really love the Darkrai card and its second attack! Forcing your opponent to watch out when to use their GX attack... Could be a nice comeback in the end-game as well!

Darkrai is ok I feel like it could be used in dark decks as a 1 of. Put a choice band on him and you can 1 shot most EXs and most basic GXs

Expanded > Battle Compressor, GG
Agreed...that's what I was thinking. In expanded it is much easier to setup Archie's ace in the hole as I have been playing a primarina gx deck using ace in the hole and talonflame. Although trevenant then singlehandedly beats me.

I do believe there is also some potential in standard as well, but way more succesful in expanded.

So the Gyarados is pretty much Night March lite - I'd be looking to stock up on Karen, if it weren't for the fact that the card might end up being out of rotation by the time these ones come out.

That and against a deck that can dish out damage to the back row quick enough (Decidueye GX for example), it'd be a non-issue as the Magikarp will probably all be dead before one Gyarados comes into play.

In expanded it's going to be a BEAST!!

Choice band, battle compressor/ rescue stretcher in expanded.

Gyrados that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gyarados!! :D I wanna use this Gyarados because fandom <3
The XY12 Evolutions one was so sad, such beautiful artwork but not usable at all. Expensive energy attacks, not worth all the risky coin flipping. Nostalgia aside, it wasn't worth adding to any decks. Hrmmm this new SM3 Gyarados is kind of usable, maybe to an extent that of the XY6 Ancient Origins version with Ancient Trait. But without the worry of abilities or attacks KO'ing benched Karps. I don't think this new one will be a standard metagame staple but it will probably be playable.

So from the previous comments, the best ways to use this new Gyarados (in Standard) are with the use of:
-Archie's Ace In The Hole
-Ultra Ball
-Putting Magikarps on the bench first then using Parallel City to discard them.

Any tips on using Archie/Max in Standard? I never got to master using them. :(
Are there any recent cards that help using them somewhat easier?

Gyarados is not that good. For the first attack, it will be difficult to have all 3 Magikarps in the discard pile and, if that happens, when your active Gyarados is knocked out you don't have a way to have another one next turn. Second attack is decent with Mr. Mime or something like that, but it's pretty expensive.

Treat it like a passimian deck and put in a fates collide mew for Memories of Dawn?

Gyarados!! :D I wanna use this Gyarados because fandom <3
The XY12 Evolutions one was so sad, such beautiful artwork but not usable at all. Expensive energy attacks, not worth all the risky coin flipping. Nostalgia aside, it wasn't worth adding to any decks. Hrmmm this new SM3 Gyarados is kind of usable, maybe to an extent that of the XY6 Ancient Origins version with Ancient Trait. But without the worry of abilities or attacks KO'ing benched Karps. I don't think this new one will be a standard metagame staple but it will probably be playable.

So from the previous comments, the best ways to use this new Gyarados (in Standard) are with the use of:
-Archie's Ace In The Hole
-Ultra Ball
-Putting Magikarps on the bench first then using Parallel City to discard them.

Any tips on using Archie/Max in Standard? I never got to master using them. :(
Are there any recent cards that help using them somewhat easier?

As a very large fan of fighting types; machamp, garchomp, gallade, you have found the master of maxie. I think ultra balls, T mails, and Time puzzles work very well with it. Also, Tapu Lele helps get it out.

Back