News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

My thoughts about this card...

In many ways, super rod is better, due to it being an item and not a supporter. In such, you can use the rod in conjunction with a draw supporter to get back the cards you need from the discard to play right away. That suits the aggressive styles of playing the game - it already works quite well anyways, so I don't think too many decks would remove the Rod and make Brock a staple...

However, Brock does have lots of things going for it. For one thing, by being a Supporter to repeatedly use VS Seeker out, it can make decks that are highly prone to decking out safer to play against Mill decks. It's an excellent endgame utility, particularly for 6-prize based decks, like Greninja Break. If you know that your deck involves extending the length of the game play, or recklessly discards Pokemon and energy, Brock looks like an excellent card to tech in.

From all this... Why not use both the of these cards in a deck? It's like having both Float Stone and Olympia in the same deck to gain better manuvuerability: One is a generic, easy to play item for a single use, while the other is a reusable card for when you really need it.

200px-BrockGymHeroes15.jpg

Same artwork, completely different cards. Just like Dewgong!

This is like a more powerful version of Nightly Garbage Run (Team Rocket expansion) and Super Rod, but I don't really like the way XY12 has come out so far. They already have this and Misty's Determination, so I'm not sure if they'll have any other Gym-leader themed ones. Lt. Surge was basically a Trainer that promotes a Basic in your hand to your active, Erika let you draw up to 3 cards, then let your opponent draw up to 3 cards, Koga let you poison your opponent's Active if one of Koga's Pokemon attacked, Blaine let you attach 2 [R] instead of one per turn, Giovanni let you Broken-Space Time one of his Pokemon, and Sabrina let you shift all of your Energy on one of Sabrina's Pokemon to another one of Sabrina's Pokemon.

If there are more Gym Leader-themed cards coming out, I would put Erika and Lt. Surge as most possible, mostly because they could still stay true to the flavor of the text. The rest of the Gym Leader cards needed you to have that Owner's Pokemon in some way. Giovanni would be cool as a replacement to Wally. Blaine would be way too powerful if it were just generalized for all [R] Pokemon; Volcanion would dominate such a format. Koga would be really fun with the new Beedrill and M Beedrill-EX coming out, and Sabrina could work as an alternative to Energy Switch in something like Water Box.

Of course, this is speculation, because none of these cards have been announced and probably never will. :( XY Evolutions has really been hit and miss for me. They missed a lot of things they could have printed other than a bunch of nerfed Basics a metric ton of useless mewtwo and charizard cards for the fanboys cards that don't resemble anything they're based upon. I really hoped VenuCenter or Rain Dance would actually come back, but ://///

This is like Palmers contribution in DP Supreme Victors but one better, as it's 6 instead of 5.

What in the world is this thing? And I though Imakuni? Was a weird card, then they make this. And Mega Blastoise's full art looks incredible! I'm excited to see Venusaur and Charizard's!

Oh my gosh! Those full art megas are just as great as I thought they would be! I cannot wait for this to be released in English!

So the FA Starters are just the ones we've been getting in those boxes over the past few months but with the Base Set Template?

I also called the Misty FA, didnt expect the Brock one but admittedly we didn't know Brock's Guts would be a card. Better FA option than Oak anyway I think.

Something about really neutral poses on FAs like M Charizard's doesn't look as good. I felt the same about M Tyranitar's, it was a little boring.

I told you the Kanto Starter & Pikachu EXs from the Red & Blue Collections came from this set... They simply used the regular XY layout for the English release... which kinda sucks as now the English and Japanese versions look too different.

I'm also really disappointed with MegaZard Y FA artwork... It's my favorite but the other 2 (Venusaur & Blastoise) got much better art... Still hoping for a UR MegaZard X FA, as unlikely as that might be...

Yes!!! I was hoping there would be a full art Misty in the set, and I am not disappointed! And as soon as I saw Brock's card today, I hoped he would get a full art too. The artwork on both look absolutely wonderful! I think both the character designs and the template for the cards themselves give them a classic look while the artwork and the fact that they're full arts also make them look modern. Very nicely done! =)

Last edited:
So... what are the English Venusaur/Charizard/Blastosie full art's going to be? Although I am super glad were getting Brock's Guts full art, definitely going to pick one of those up for my M Rayquaza-EX deck... once Shaymin-EX price goes down.

Most of these aren't terribly interesting. It's funny, full art Pidgeot-EX (not the Mega one) is the only one I feel is particularly "good". I'd like Mega Charizard if its face was... Not so terrible. Brock's decent I guess, but like with most Full Art Supporters, isn't that interesting either. Action scenes for them are bafflingly rare, and it takes its toll.

Back