Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
I just thought of something: what about the Glaceon/Jolteon/Regice/(M-)Man mirror? Your only hope would be to keep Regice alive without letting your opponent's Regice take it down. That would be intense. People would start teching in Forretress to kill opposing Regice so that their own Regice could rein supreme....

Forget Mewtwo wars. We're heading for Regice wars. The next... dare I say... cold war...

Wes1234

Local Eevee/Eeveelution Addict lawl
When I first saw Glaceon EX's card (without seeing the translations), I was like.... "Crap, it's first attack is gonna be some stupid coin flippy attack and it's 2nd attack will be practically useless like Espeon." Then I read the translations, already prepared for the worst.... and instead cheered out of sheer joy and excitement! Many deck ideas I've been trying to cook up don't appreciate Garchomp too well. Whelp, GUESS WHO SOLVES THAT PROBLEM NOW! Also, Second Bite is actually a VERY nice attack, synergizing with Mega Manectric's Turbo Volt pretty damn well, as Turbo Volt not only powers that attack up, but enables it to finish the job even against bulky 240 HP Megas even if Mega Manectric goes down. Just do the math. 110 (Turbo Volt) + 130 (Second Bite, 20+110) = 240 total. Also works well with bats and even Greninja BREAK to an extent. And to top it all off, it's Dive Ball compatible. Those MegaMan/Regice/Glaceon/Jolteon EX mirror matches, if the deck becomes popular enough, will probably be some of the WEIRDEST mirror matches ever.... SO MUCH DANCING around each other's walls... (Yes, I'm aware that it'll eventually boil down to Regice vs Regice. Don't ruin my fun! lol)

DatSonicAce

Latios Superfan
The Mandibuzz is a promo. It won't be part of the main set so it doesn't count towards the 3. So far we have Lugia, Bronzong and probably Delphox. We might get Crobat too, though that might not come until a later set.
We are getting Crobat BREAK. I downloaded the image off here and I'm pretty sure that it says XY10 Crobat BREAK.

Senorsmith03

Aspiring Trainer
We are getting Crobat BREAK. I downloaded the image off here and I'm pretty sure that it says XY10 Crobat BREAK.

If you look at the page on here, as well as the image, it says that it will be released as a promo. It also has the Pokemon Card Gym symbol on it, and nowhere did it say XY10 on the card. Though I suppose its possible itll be in the english set(irrelevant to me as I live in Japan). If I had to guess for the english set I'd say itll be a box set, similar to tyrantrum ex, noctowl and other cards which were all Gym battle promo cards.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
The XYG probably means N comes in the Zygarde Perfect Battle Deck, dunno why they went with G instead of J for Jigarude but maybe just because it's literally like "XYGarde" lol

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
Omastar suddenly doesn't look as bad, especially with areodactly

Areodactly doesnt have a focus sash though, so it wont ever stick around for long

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
See? What am I telling you? They even made a Pokémon Catcher just against Megas. What about cards against Basic Pokémon-EX? Or support for BREAKs? This is ridiculous...

Darkpoison64

Aspiring Trainer
now omistar break will be the ultimate killer of shaymins with Aerodactyl because it is a free lysandre and free Aerodactyl finder you just need the dce in your hand and there is no draw back expect getting out the lord helix in the first place at the start will be the biggest challenge. This could be a new archetype that we all doubted since there is a lot more fossil support then we thought. Aerodactyl does 120 with no draw back...and able to hold the fighting fury belt too is better then if it were a fighting type. I do not think the mega catcher will be played because mega pokemon are not as competative as the regular ex pokemon.

The eeveelution deck is coming with mew! omg it is so versitile with the dimension valley and rainbow energy! I take back what I said about mega catcher that endgame attack is just broke having just the ability to choose to be imune to either basic or evolution pokemon is really good to shut down whatever deck your opponent plays then take 4 prizes at the end with umbreon's second attack it is more then plasma gale lugia!

Last edited by a moderator:

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
It's a little more complicated than that unfortunately...When Zubat evolves into Golbat, Golbat has the ability to add 2 damage counters. To be the same as Bats, and every other "When this Pokemon evolves etc..." ability, it would have to be on M Alakazam EX, not Alakazam EX. Once you place M Alakazam EX onto Alakazam EX and evolve it, it overwrites all traits on the original Alakazam EX. Therefore, it would no longer have the ability to activate.

It would need to say something like "Reveal M Alakazam EX from your hand. If you do, place 2 damage counters on the defending Pokemon and 3 damage counters on up to 1 of your opponent's benched Pokemon, then place M Alakazam EX onto Alakazam EX. This counts as evolving Alakazam EX. You cannot use this ability on your first turn or during the turn you play Alakazam EX." Just as an example. It would have to have some way to evolve into M Alakazam EX other than the standard evolution rule.

Actually, this is incorrect.
The text on Golbat is as follows:
"When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may put 2 damage counters on 1 of your opponent's Pokémon."

The effect triggers when Golbat is placed from your hand to evolve (obviously on to Zubat). Now, with Alakazam EX, the ability of that Pokemon activates as a result of the Evolution, not the action of the Evolution, which is how they will justify why it will work. Basically, because of the following:
A. Evolving in to M Alakazam EX does NOT change the actual state of the Pokemon itself (I.E. when you AZ a Pokemon like Crobat, for example, you add all the Pokemon below it because they are not attached technically, if that makes sense. Basically, even though Alakazam EX is in its Mega Evolution Form, it is still the Pokemon Alakazam.)
B. Because of A, the trigger of the ability will still activate, regardless of the new form of Alakazam.

Also... it's a specific rule stated on the card that requires a condition of Evolution... which probably will be the actual justification they use if they need to use a justification, making everything I just said above a waste of 3ish minutes.

Huh. :l

Still, TL;DR: They may have made this much more complex than it needs to be. Still, it'll work because they designed and printed it. #PokeLogic

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Everyone wishes Aerodactyl could've been Fighting. That second attack is legit.

Here's to hoping Bronzong BREAK brings back Metal in Standard.

Darkpoison64

Aspiring Trainer
Not all. Vaporeon-EX has a [W][W][C] cost; Leafeon-EX is [G][G][C]; Sylveon-EX is [Y][Y][C].

Also Flareon-EX is [C][C][C]. :p

Leafeon's cost saddens me because I would've liked to use it, but grass has pretty poor acceleration currently.
well you could play mega sceptile in with leafeon as a back up attacker, it is the only grass acceleration in the format or you could pair it with max elixer, since all the eevees are basic pokemon it should not be that hard to pull off. Also you forgot espeon ex only needs a [P][C][C] as the only wallbreaking ability out of all the eevees but only hits for 70 damage, I am intrested to see how competative they become!

Darkpoison64

Aspiring Trainer
So... No one has mentioned this, but if TPCi takes the same route as they are, Bronzong BREAK will have the same ability as Phantom Forces Bronzong... If my prediction is correct, unless it says otherwise, could you use both of the Bronzong's abilities? If so, I need to invent a time machine to stop myself from trading away my Mega Mewtwo y
Yes, you see in the example video the guy searches for aerodacytle and uses the break ability on Omistar to drag out the shaymin on the bench, it is part of the break rule. Retains the attacks, abilities, weakness, retreat cost of its previous evolution.

bananainpijama

Magikarp used Splash!
If just Genesect was a mega, that would have been so nice with the tool change and mega turbo. This way i don't think its gonna be viable. You have to attach at least 3 energies every turn, so if Bronzong Break doesn't improve the normal Bronzongs ability i don't think it's gonna be very competitive, sadly.

postmodern_pinko

So postmodern
Genesect seems like it's clearly supposed to be used with a Float Stone in hand, a (muscle band/FFB) active, and Bronzong. Ayyy prefabricated combos.

Also yo wHAT! is that Aerodactyl! I hope it's splashable in some capacity (probs not but we'll see about fossil support eh?) because that is a neat guy.

Last. Mega Catcher seems extraneous. Most mega Pokemon are underwhelming in the current format. And I mean, I like beating up 1st graders as much as the next 23 year old, but this seems like a little bit of a low blow to a mechanic that was supposed to change the game.

Purrloin

I wonder if Genesect's ability is a sign that it'll be getting some exclusive Tools, like it did in Plasma Blast.