Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

Buyo

Aspiring Trainer
Who's ready for the inevitable Darkrai EX/Malamar EX decks because I sure am

Edit: Also I wonder if that Kricketot will be used at all for Teammates/Ace Trainer fodder and to grab an entire Stage 2 evolution line to FGP evolve the next turn. Hm!

Last edited:

arulz

THE SEEKER
so. many. water types.

Is that hypo sending clefairy to a graveyard??? that's so morbid! I love it xD

The last two trainers better have some evolution card support. What with max elixir and fighting spirit belt, big basics are getting scarier again :/

Gother

Aspiring Trainer
Oh no. That Time Puzzle. I can see how bad it is going to be versus mill or disruptive decks =/

Last edited:

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Why did they make that Darkrai EX FA look so adorable? xD
Even it's background colorisation is cute.

This set artistically destroys the last one on a new creative level that rivals XY7/ Bandit Ring/ Ancient Origins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexogen

Merc W140
Darkrai should have been Umbreon EX... wait! forgot that they LOVE to print EX Versions of Pokemon that already have an EX. ahem Thundurus... not mad about Ho-Oh EX though.

I think we should call the new Darkrai "Umbreon EX" just to share some love for it if it doesnt come out in the next set :'D

GinjaNinja72

Rawr. You're Scared.
OOOOOH MY GOODNESS. Mega Scizor Full Art is OVERLOADED!
(Hence my profile picture)

Last edited by a moderator:

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
My first Pokebeach leaks! Some immediate standouts:

Kricketot -- A sacrifice to grab an entire Grass line with FGP? The question is what line is worth the sacrifice.

Garchomp -- amazing art, ANY energy (including Special) acceleration for [F] and OHKO's EXs for just [F][F] if one is a Strong Energy or if it has a Muscle Band! AND it can be Korrina + Rare Candied or Maxie'd. AND it has free retreat!! Wow, Pokemon Co. really loves Garchomp... as we can tell by this card and of course it's omnipresence in VGC!

Darkrai EX -- First they give us a new Mewtwo EX, now a new Darkrai EX? And it's really good and combos with Hypno (as long as you can keep it awake and manage that extra 20 damage)? Sweet (dreams)! I find it funny we got Darkrai instead of Umbreon, but if it was an Umbreon, let's be honest, it wouldn't be this powerful.

Clefairy - Got kicked out of the dream world and got thrown into the nightmare world omg. Hypno is so cruel...

Clefable - immune to Giratina EX... cool.

Time Puzzle looks good (you can even perform a useless perpetual combo of constantly using 2 time puzzles to bring back 2 time puzzles haha...), but if LEGEND Pokemon taught us anything, it's really hard to plan for 2 of the exact cards you need in hand. I guess it could maybe have a shot with Korrina/Skyla/Mail/Sableye. Also take note that 1 Time Puzzle looks into the future, while 2 Puzzles look into your past. Creative.
(Side note: idk how I feel about Special energy returns, because their irretrievability was a core aspect of keeping them balanced -- but maybe the whole "2 for 2" thing will keep it in check. And as others have mentioned, Special Energy is not even the most clutch combo this thing can pull off haha.)

Mind Reading -- Interesting.... but maybe it would have been better suited to "Rise of the Psychic Kings" haha.

Ho-oh full art :O (it's practically a mirror of the old FA but whatevs!)

Overall, not that horrible a set! A few good non-EX, some okay EXes, half decent BREAK cards, a poverty of evo support, okay trainers... overall, better than XY8 at least...!

PS: I will forever be sad I didn't have a chance to collect Phantom Forces cards q_q

Last edited:

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Wow that's awesome! The Time Puzzle cards are just like the old "+" trainers. Remember Poke Drawer + and Poke Blower +?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
That Chikorita is foreshadowing Fennekin from XY10 (Awakening of Psychic kings), I bet you...

Also, first Garchomp Fighting-line... cool, and seems good... it's pretty much the only anti-EX card in the set along with Trevenant... So much for Mega and Break support ("Don't believe the Hype!")...

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
That Chikorita is foreshadowing Fennekin from XY10 (Awakening of Psychic kings), I bet you...
That wouldn't be the first time we've gotten artwork that spanned multiple sets. Look at Gligar from Roaring skies, then Golurk from Ancient Origins

qrorohill

formerly known as TFP
That Chikorita art has to do with the next set, i get it.
Delphox BREAK sounds logical with Greninja BREAK and Chesnaught BREAK already been released.
The Awakening of Psychic kings, Delphox also fits really great in that theme.
So, Fennekin probably has Chikorita in his art. Atleast i hope so! :p

The artwork is pretty cool in this set. Except Hypno for me...

T1meshift

Aspiring Trainer
I very much enjoy this set. the introduction of the Darkrai-EX will lead to some interesting combos for dark type decks. I'm going to make a Zoroark/Yveltal-ex/Darkrai-ex deck. Oh and Darkrai/Malamar-ex was already a thing. Remember the Phantom Forces promo of Darkrai?

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
That wouldn't be the first time we've gotten artwork that spanned multiple sets. Look at Gligar from Roaring skies, then Golurk from Ancient Origins

Yeah, I had noticed that before. It's one of the reasons that made think of this Chikorita/Fennekin case.

-----------------

btw, this is yet another card which shows the portal between the twin worlds featured in these sets. Probably the collision between the 2 worlds that started in this set is what causes the awakening of the Psychic Kings in XY10. Just theorizing....