Japan's XY9 Set: 'Rage of the Broken Sky,' New 'Battle Strengthening Sets'

I wonder if Greninja has 140 HP
Because it's BREAK has 170 HP
If so, evolving Frogadier will give you 70 more HP :p
That would be crazy!

Frogadier has pretty beautiful art :)

This Frogadier reminds me of an old friend *ponders off in the distance thinking of Gabite with Dragon's Call*

Greninja, like Garchomp, is all about speed, and a very useful stage 1 Pokemon like this lets that speed dream be a possibility. Even with 4 Froakie to help get out the first Frogadier quickly, Level ball and Dive balls are all you will need to fill your bench with 4 Greninja (XY) by turn 2-3 and Water Shuriken to your hearts content.

Needless to say, as my favorite card in Standard is Greninja XY, I am excited.

Hang on, isn't this an oxymoron that the TPC is making a Greninja BREAK card when it already has like this pseudo-Mega Evolution in the anime?

So with this out on an XY Greninja, and with another XY Greninja on the bench, you can discard 3 Water energy to kill a Shaymin without even attacking. Exciting!

If you evolved Greninja Break from XY Base Set, you could do 150 Damage by discarding two water energy. Even better you can still attack! You could do even more damage if you are able to switch into another Greninja Break. Manaphy will be a great help. I see potential. Also both have pretty nice artwork.

2 Greninja BREAKs with Greninja (XY) as the base. With free retreat you can discard 4 water energy between the 2 of them and deal 180 damage to any target you want. With Frogadier you can build a bench of a lot of Greninja really quickly and stack up the damage even more.

Hell, even this new Greninja has useful attacks, one-sided ability lock for a colorless and 40 damage, the number seems low, but combined with giant water shuriken and water shurikens and you are out damaging a Crobat line significantly.

Greninja XY with Greninja BREAK and fisherman/energy retrieval is a recipe for intense control and damage.

Oh, and Manaphy EX has a different kind of support than I was expecting, but a very useful partner for Primal Kyogre-EX and M Gyarados-EX indeed.

If you evolved Greninja Break from XY Base Set, you could do 150 Damage by discarding two water energy. Even better you can still attack! You could do even more damage if you are able to switch into another Greninja Break. Manaphy will be a great help. I see potential. Also both have pretty nice artwork.

Don't know where you are getting the 150 number from, Greninja (XY) does 30, and this BREAK does 60 for discarding a water, so 2 water from a Greninja BREAK on top of a Greninja (XY) would at most be 90 damage.

Darkrai EX is back for Water Pokemon in the form of Manaphy EX. I'm actually okay with this. That 120 HP makes it not too broken.

It really seems that people are being too optimistic here. Remember that regular Greninja is a stage 2, making BREAK essentially a stage 3. Have fun just attempting to get it on board, and using 4 cards to do so (3 if using Archie to grab Greninja).

Then on top of that, it's 1 energy discard per effect, which leads to a lot of discards just to knock out 1 mega/primal. Sure energy recycling has been made easier now, but good luck actually keeping the flow going at a good enough pace.

Also, sure you could use the new Greninja's attack to cut down on energy discards while still dishing out damage and keeping energy in hand, but that'll only total 140, meaning your opponent has a turn to hit back. Setting up multiple Greninja BREAK won't be easy I'm sure.

We'll have to see what evolution support we get, but until then, this 'deck' is all hype and no bite.

Don't know where you are getting the 150 number from, Greninja (XY) does 30, and this BREAK does 60 for discarding a water, so 2 water from a Greninja BREAK on top of a Greninja (XY) would at most be 90 damage.

Hm, the text was different just now. I guess the translation wasn't correct. I believe it said you must discard water energy attached to Greninja Break in order to deal 60 damage to one of your opponents pokémon. also it did not say one during your turn. But you can only use Grennja's XY ability one during your turn. 60+60+30=150

Hm, the text was different just now. I guess the translation wasn't correct. I believe it said you must discard water energy attached to Greninja Break in order to deal 60 damage to one of your opponents pokémon. also it did not say one during your turn. But you can only use Grennja's XY ability one during your turn. 60+60+30=150

Ah, no problem then, as the ability reads right now, it is the same as XY Greninja's Water Shuriken, but 60 damage instead of 30. so 90 damage for discarding 2 water from the hand is the most you can do for each Greninja BREAK/Greninja XY combo.

It really seems that people are being too optimistic here. Remember that regular Greninja is a stage 2, making BREAK essentially a stage 3. Have fun just attempting to get it on board, and using 4 cards to do so (3 if using Archie to grab Greninja).

Then on top of that, it's 1 energy discard per effect, which leads to a lot of discards just to knock out 1 mega/primal. Sure energy recycling has been made easier now, but good luck actually keeping the flow going at a good enough pace.

Also, sure you could use the new Greninja's attack to cut down on energy discards while still dishing out damage and keeping energy in hand, but that'll only total 140, meaning your opponent has a turn to hit back. Setting up multiple Greninja BREAK won't be easy I'm sure.

We'll have to see what evolution support we get, but until then, this 'deck' is all hype and no bite.

It isn't being optimistic to understand how this simply offers more damage than the Crobat line with a little more effort. Blastoise decks in BW-on never had an issue with stringing together Superior Energy Retrievals for Black Kyurem-EX every turn and with this new Frogadier and Archie's Ace in the Hole, getting out 2+ Greninja is a lot easier than you would imagine. Dive Balls and Ultra Balls give you plenty of search options for grabbing Greninja and Greninja BREAK once your Frogadier army is assembled. Will you be able to do 180 damage without attacking each turn? Of course not, but that amount of damage is nothing to dismiss, and with the added support we can expect to see for water Pokemon in this set, it can only mean good things for the Greninja line.

I KNEW IT! THIS SET'S GONNA BE BETTER THAN BREAKTHROUGH!!! :)

But... this all seems cool and all. I don't know how this deck will respond to Mega Ray and the annoying Vespiquen. Grass Weakness is really hurting Water decks right now. I don't see this being viable at all because of Weakness and the low damage output to fast decks such as Mega Ray.

I also don't see how the Ability lock does anything. Pyroar autoloses to Water Evolutions. Wobbuffet sucks. Aegislash's Ability is harmless to this card. I honestly don't know what Ability locking is for on this card. I guess Bats? But Bat decks typically have low damage output and Houndoom sucks against water. And wouldn't you want to rush Ability locking by playing Silent Lab, Hex Maniac, starting out with Wob or playing a passive effect such as Garbodor?

TPCi needs to stop printing good Grass cards and remove the viable ones from play. Otherwise, these cards will be binder fodder.

WE NEED BROKEN TIME SPACE REPRINTED IN THIS SET TPCI PLEASE!!!

Last edited:
Biggest news? Standard Aromatisse-FairyBox gets its Darkrai-EX back in Manaphy EX. Now I can run Sky Field instead of Fairy Garden. FairyBox in Standard gets a small step closer to viable!

Back