Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The Pokemon Company has released its latest figures report, revealing a record 9.7 billion Pokemon cards were produced from March 2022 to March 2023!
This is the third year in a row Pokemon has broken its annual record. The number is similar to last year’s 9.1 billion, which means this is probably close to the max capacity the factories can produce. Before 2019, Pokemon was producing an average of 1.5 to 2 billion cards a year.
2022 also saw the introduction of Simplified Chinese cards as the TCG’s newest language.
According to The Pokemon Company, over 52.9 billion Pokemon cards have been produced worldwide as of March 2023. Here are the reports I’ve received from Pokemon since starting PokeBeach in 2003...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
WPM, you did this last year too - "produced" does not equal "sold".
I am not doubting that PTCG is selling buttloads of cards and the demand is through the roof, but it's worth noting Magic also loves to present the number of cardboard they "produced" and then the unsold product is found in garbage dumps.

Last edited:

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
WPM, you also did this last year too - "produced" does not equal "sold".
I am not doubting that PTCG is selling buttloads of cards and the demand is through the roof, but it's worth noting Magic also loves to present the number of cardboard they "produced" and then the unsold product is found in garbage dumps.
Where it belongs. Glad W*zards is getting screwed over. I witness plenty of Magic cards in stock at Targets and pokemon was almost always empty.

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
Where it belongs. Glad W*zards is getting screwed over. I witness plenty of Magic cards in stock at Targets and pokemon was almost always empty.
That's because they get bought the first week it releases then sits there. Decades of criticism that their sets only have 3 to 5 cards of value and nothing else. That's why they're doing these crossover events and making them chase cards, because nobody wants to invest in a set for more than a box.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
That's because they get bought the first week it releases then sits there. Decades of criticism that their sets only have 3 to 5 cards of value and nothing else. That's why they're doing these crossover events and making them chase cards, because nobody wants to invest in a set for more than a box.
3 to 5 out of how many, on average?

Pompidumbreon

Aspiring Trainer
that's the reason why I hate WOTC, they don't care about their customers. They single handedly destroy the classic sets of pokemon by making non-holos and stretching the odds much further.
The reason why they did that is because competetive players could let the beautiful holo cards at home, so the cards wont get a chance to get damaged and take the non holo's to the tournament to play with.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
The reason why they did that is because competetive players could let the beautiful holo cards at home, so the cards wont get a chance to get damaged and take the non holo's to the tournament to play with.
According to Bulbapedia, they created non-holos to make the expansion larger, as well as preventing packs from guaranteeing a Holofoil card. Now, I heard Bulbapedia isn't always reliable, but if your statement is true, then both gym sets, Neo Genesis and Destiny, and some e-Card series should all have non-holos version. The non-holos appears on the set that are smaller than the base set or gym set AND doesn't have rare or very little rare (if any) cards. Coincidence? You decide.

Pompidumbreon

Aspiring Trainer
According to Bulbapedia, they created non-holos to make the expansion larger, as well as preventing packs from guaranteeing a Holofoil card. Now, I heard Bulbapedia isn't always reliable, but if your statement is true, then both gym sets, Neo Genesis and Destiny, and some e-Card series should all have non-holos version. The non-holos appears on the set that are smaller than the base set or gym set AND doesn't have rare or very little rare (if any) cards. Coincidence? You decide.
this was my source:

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
If every pack guaranteed a holo like the Japanese counterpart, then you could just use your duplicates to play. Every kid would prefer that, it was just plain and simple greed from WOTC. No need to overthink it.
I couldn't say it any better. I want to add that in Japan, some sets like the gym and neo destiny included a holo and rare. In Japan, some cards in the gym were exclusively in the gym leader's theme deck. W*zards made these cards rare. Examples: Misty's tentacool, Brock's zubat, Misty's goldeen, lt. surge's electabuzz, etc.. These were awful pulls.

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
magic players are finally realizing their game sucks and WOTC doesn’t care about them
No they've noticed. The breaking point started from mid Sun and Moon. I know this because my locals had a large influx of mtg players because the meta was so bad they looked at the TCG they once laughed off.

Its been a slow burn ever since. This is why you didn't hear from them when Pokemon finally overtook magic. They knew it was a matter of time.

Yombo

Aspiring Trainer
I wouldn't say Pokemon cares about us either in terms of quality. They ony care about putting as much product out there and don't care that the centering is aweful, they are gut bad, or that the quality of the paper they are using is aweful. I don't like the skuffed, dull look of the cards. I don't understand how some of them can be the nice "normal" quality and then others aren't. Are they using different paper in the same plants?

Gashnet

Aspiring Trainer
I wouldn't say Pokemon cares about us either in terms of quality. They ony care about putting as much product out there and don't care that the centering is aweful, they are gut bad, or that the quality of the paper they are using is aweful. I don't like the skuffed, dull look of the cards. I don't understand how some of them can be the nice "normal" quality and then others aren't. Are they using different paper in the same plants?
If you think Pokemon is bad you never heard of magics cards peeling from their backing. If you pulled a valuable card you had to sleeve it or it would start curling in hours. At least it takes Pokemon weeks to start doing that and it's an easy fix.

letsdobiz

Aspiring Trainer
i think this is a good thing lol i dont have to worry about things being out of stock and scalpers are big mad and also people who sell stuff are mad idk why