JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
Like worker

Not because it is a competitive staple, but because it works in the same way as avery does. It gives you minimalistic draw power that doesn’t get rid of your hand while giving you controll over the board in some way. Having several of these cards plus irida and professor research is letting the consistency supporters have a lot of variety and options. Both in counts and which ones you are playing.

2/5 might see play in some inteleon deck that doesn’t have any card they deeply desire for a particular stadium card or needs to find deckspace

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Not the worst draw 3 card, though it coulda been a lot cooler if it let you draw 1 more if you discarded a stadium. Once Scoop Up Net rotates, you can't spam the same Pumpkaboo over and over, so it gives you more stadium removal options if you don't want to use Lost Vacuum or your own Stadiums.

powellnf

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I can see Worker getting some play, as path to the peak or lost city can really throw certain meta decks into panic mode and you don't always have a way to find your own stadium or lost vacuum reliably (irida helps in palkia or kyurem vmax decks), while finding a key supporter when you need to is relatively straight forward with lumineon v and quickball. Somewhat situational but I can see some decks swapping out an Avery for this one.

Polaris

Pokemon has, for quite a while now, been great about diversity in gender/gender expression in their games (obviously not a lot of LGBT, but there's not a lot of "romance" featured in general so it doesn't feel aggresssively imbalanced). Lots of female and male role-models. The tough girls and soft boys are all a part of that diversity and it's fine.

This card is... Fine. I don't see why I'd play it though if I can just play a stadium to counter the current one and save my supporter for something better.

Last edited:

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
I knew it was only a matter of time that pokemon were to put Raigeki next to Raichu. Drawn by Megumi, nice! Well, going to add it to my Raichu collection. By the way, what does "U" in Japanese rarity means for the international counterpart? Is it uncommon or rare?

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
The whole draw 3 plus get an effect is reminiscent to the kinds of draw 2 cards we got in the HGSS era, could mean that we get a straight up draw 4 supporter in SV

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon has, for quite a while now, been great about diversity in gender/gender expression in their games
The way you've articulated it makes it sound like they're trying to deliberately satisfy some American's social awareness/progressiveness checklist for being acceptable in the new social order, but Pokémon, as a franchise, has always been good at this.

Polaris

The way you've articulated it makes it sound like they're trying to deliberately satisfy some American's social awareness/progressiveness checklist for being acceptable in the new social order, but Pokémon, as a franchise, has always been good at this.
The idea that people can express themselves however they want regardless of traditional gender roles (which exist in Japan too) is an idea that Pokemon's always been good with. I only said "for quite a while now" because I didn't pay much attention to the earliest gens or Pokemon's history, so if there's weird sexisms in the earlier content (manga, shows), I'd be unaware of it.

Gender roles and sexism aren't an exclusely American thing. Diversity in expression is something that's nice whenever you see it.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Anyone else praying they stop making generic Trainer Class full arts in Scarlet & Violet era? (along with Rainbow Rares for the love of GOD)

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Gender roles and sexism aren't an exclusely American thing. Diversity in expression is something that's nice whenever you see it.
The contemporary push for representation of diversity is in response to an western problem and one should hesitate to analyze other cultures through this lens. Many Japanese artists on Twitter have been harassed by – not necessarily Americans so let's more charitably go with English speakers, for their art not being sufficiently "representative" or so on. Absolute nonsense ensues – and there's really to be learned from the conversation, because the premise is flawed. People need to be more careful criticizing other cultures for things they have a problem with – to paraphrase a popular notion to the counterculture of this era – "clean up your own room before you go and try to go fix the rest of the world".

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Anyone else praying they stop making generic Trainer Class full arts in Scarlet & Violet era? (along with Rainbow Rares for the love of GOD)
There have been great ones (whether in terms of playability and/or art) like Adventurer's Discovery, Bird Keeper, Hex Maniac, Pokemon Ranger, Team Flare Grunt, Teammates, Welder, and to a lesser extent Schoolgirl, so I'd honestly like full art trainer classes to continue.

Rainbow rares can die off though. Of the countless Rainbow Rares we've gotten, I think the only one I don't dislike is Alcremie VMAX, and even then I still prefer the non-rainbow version.

Polaris

The contemporary push for representation of diversity is in response to an western problem and one should hesitate to analyze other cultures through this lens. Many Japanese artists on Twitter have been harassed by – not necessarily Americans so let's more charitably go with English speakers, for their art not being sufficiently "representative" or so on. Absolute nonsense ensues – and there's really to be learned from the conversation, because the premise is flawed. People need to be more careful criticizing other cultures for things they have a problem with – to paraphrase a popular notion to the counterculture of this era – "clean up your own room before you go and try to go fix the rest of the world".
I mean sure lol. I don't think anybody's comment in this thread warrants that discussion though, except for maybe the person I was responding to who's edgey and offensive comment was deleted.