JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
A new print of Professor’s Research features in Start Deck 100. The art features Professor Rowan from Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. This new print features the F regulation mark, which means the card’s Standard legality will be reset upon its release.

Barry was also revealed from the set. Like rival cards before it, it has the typical draw 3 effect.
Barry – Trainer
Supporter
Draw 3 cards.
You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn.
A higher resolution version of Raikou was also revealed...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I wouldn't mind them bringing back Cynthia as "Professor's Adventure" or something and alternating them between formats. It's a different environment and I found it easier on beginners.

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Shauna was reprinted and it's legal until the 2023 rotation, so I genuinely doubt they are going to reprint Cynthia for the foreseeable future. As far as draw effects go

- Shauna (shuffle, draw 5)
- Research (discard, draw 7)
- Judge (both players shuffle and draw 4)
- Bianca/Korrina (draw until 6 in hand)
- Hau/Barry/Hop (draw 3, zero drawbacks)

seem to be the gold-standard that TPCi wants going forward. It's also noticeable that these cards all draw a different amount of cards and all fit different niches into a given format, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with effects like Marnie and instead put this "cap" on the power levels of supporters going forward.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Yeah, obviously they won't reprint Cynthia now, but Shauna is way worse. Professor's Research is so far above all other draw effects in terms of power, that it's essentially a must-have in every deck. Right now it's Research + Marnie in almost every deck, after rotation it'll be Research + whatever suboptimal Supporter fits your deck most.

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
Shauna was reprinted and it's legal until the 2023 rotation, so I genuinely doubt they are going to reprint Cynthia for the foreseeable future. As far as draw effects go

- Shauna (shuffle, draw 5)
- Research (discard, draw 7)
- Judge (both players shuffle and draw 4)
- Bianca/Korrina (draw until 6 in hand)
- Hau/Barry/Hop (draw 3, zero drawbacks)

seem to be the gold-standard that TPCi wants going forward. It's also noticeable that these cards all draw a different amount of cards and all fit different niches into a given format, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with effects like Marnie and instead put this "cap" on the power levels of supporters going forward.
A small correction, but TPCi has nothing to do with card design. Creatures Inc. in Japan designs all the cards.