Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
A reality TV show for trading cards and sports collectibles will soon be coming to Netflix!
Brent Montgomery, the producer of Pawn Stars, has inked a deal with Netflix to create an unscripted show featuring Ken Goldin and his company Goldin Auctions (pictured).
For those who don’t know, Goldin Auctions is well-known in the hobby industry for arranging auctions of sports collectibles and trading cards, including Pokemon. They’ve brokered the most valuable Pokemon TCG auctions of all time, such as a PSA 10 Charizard that sold in March for a record-breaking $390,000. They deal with other card games too.
In phone calls to PokeBeach, Goldin’s Jared Mast and founder Ken Goldin confirmed the show would “definitely” feature the Pokemon TCG.
The premise of the show is currently under wraps. However, I would assume we’ll...

Continue reading...

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Also, I would clarify the phrase "in the phone calls to", because it suggests they were the ones to contact PokeBeach about this series. If that's the case, then they're simply using the site for self-promotion (like any shill would) and I'd argue it does not warrant a response from the site.

That they're showing more interest in contacting the players than the actual developers of the game is another issue.

Water Pokémon Master

Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Also, I would clarify the phrase "in the phone calls to", because it suggests they were the ones to contact PokeBeach about this series. If that's the case, then they're simply using the site for self-promotion (like any shill would) and I'd argue it does not warrant a response from the site.

That they're showing more interest in contacting the players than the actual developers of the game is another issue.
I contacted them after hearing about it through the grapevine. They were very friendly.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Oh boy! WotC cards will probably get a nice little bump in price, even though they're already much more expensive than they have any right to be.

Honestly, I've given up on WotC cards at this point, I'm trying to collect cards from the ex era to the BW era while they're still affordable.

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Sigh…

There are honestly times when I wish that last May’s Target fiasco caused an even BIGGER stink in the trading card scene, this is one of those times.

The announcement of ANOTHER piece of media that glorifies this disgusting (I’d use another word here, but people take issue with it for various reasons) part of the fandom, especially when we’re dealing production/shipping delays and product shortages, is something that should NOT be celebrated in the slightest.

But you wanna know what REALLY grinds my gears here? This part of the article:
If you would like to be involved in the show, Goldin is asking PokeBeach’s readers to send in photos of valuable or meaningful Pokemon TCG items they would want to auction off. Readers are asked to submit to <[email protected]> with the subject “PB Collection Photos.”
“hahahahahaha! …oh wait you’re serious, lemme laugh even harder. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

Seriously, reading the article made me mildly disgusted at first but this paragraph here made me want to puke. This is where this article went from a simple report on a show that has some of its toes in the Pokémon TCG to an advertisement and active casting call for said show.

And you know what? I’d be lying if I said I didn’t lose some respect for the site because of that.

Yecch!

fleshrum

Cephalophore
strikes me that wpm is just interested because it's his hobby, same as ours, and he's a filmmaker. No reason to attack him directly.

That said, I encourage anyone interested in selling cards to do so through other means. This should remain a hobby, and not a market for multi-billionaires to influence for profit. Steve Cohen has a net worth of 900 million dollars. 900 000 000. I won't see a fraction of that in my lifetime, and likely, neither will you. The fudger doesn't need any more money.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
It’s the Base Set Chaaaarizaaaard Shoooowwwwwwww~🎵

There’s so many more interesting cards, even from the Wizards era, but the Charizard craze and narrative is what everyone goes with.

It’s no different than when a news outlet discusses video games and still think it’s all Pac-Man and Donkey Kong and will use stock footage showing systems from 15-20 years ago.

Pell_

Aspire to show up.
strikes me that wpm is just interested because it's his hobby, same as ours, and he's a filmmaker. No reason to attack him directly.

That said, I encourage anyone interested in selling cards to do so through other means. This should remain a hobby, and not a market for multi-billionaires to influence for profit. Steve Cohen has a net worth of 900 million dollars. 900 000 000. I won't see a fraction of that in my lifetime, and likely, neither will you. The fudger doesn't need any more money.
I think it's very valid criticism to say "advertising and putting out a casting call for something that is going to make our already diseased hobby worse is bad, actually."

Water Pokémon Master

Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It's my job to report the news and the facts, which includes their call for entries. This show has already been ordered and this news story doesn't change that. At this point people are speculating about the content and especially the impact. We don't know what's going to happen and neither do the filmmakers since it hasn't even been shot yet. I'd rather put this news story out there so there's active discussion the filmmakers can read while they're in pre-production. It's better to try to have our segment of the community involved, which is why I think the filmmakers talked to us and not other parts of the community you might typically imagine for a show like this.