Contest September 2021 CaC: Unused Pokémon (Results Are Up!)

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Sign-ups are closing about 28 hours from now! If you're looking to submit an entry this month, or even think you might submit an entry, make sure to sign up before it's too late!

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Sign-ups are closed! Remember that you have until the end of the month, September 30th at 11:59 pm EST, to submit your entry!

Falling Skies

The Traveler
Allow me to present my entry:

Slurpuff HP: 110 [P]
684.png
Stage 1: Evolves from Swirlix

Single Strike
slurpuff.png

NO. 685 Meringue Pokémon HT: 2'7" WT: 11 lbs.
Ability: Quick Licks
Once during your turn, while this Pokémon is in the Active Spot, you may move 3 damage counters from 1 of your opponent's Pokémon to 1 of your Single Strike Pokémon.

[P][C] Just Desserts 10x
Choose up to 2 of your Benched Single Strike Pokémon. This Attack does 10 damage for each damage counter on those Pokémon. If this Attack Knocks Out the Defending Pokémon, shuffle 1 of those Pokémon and all cards attached to it into your deck.

Weakness: [M] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C]

Slurpuff’s fur contains a lot of air, making it soft to the touch and lighter than it looks.

The Strike Pokemon are interesting, although implemented weirdly. They were advertised as direct vs indirect damage, when in reality single strike's gimmicks are better rounded up into "Shred Effects" and "Benefits from self-damage" while Rapid Strike is "literally anything". I'm more partial to single strike for this reason, as it has a more defined playstyle and more cards that synergize around that playstyle. Enter Slurpuff, who helps make that a little bit faster than just using Houndoom to self-accelerate. It does take some setup, but I'm hoping it gives more depth to single strikes as a whole. Same with the attack, which is admittedly pretty strong for a one-prizer in this day and age since you can just load up 330 HP monsters with a ton of damage. I'm hoping the drawback of having to reset if you take kos with it keeps it in check somewhat.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
(for SM era)
[Stage 2] Tsareena GX HP230 [G]
Evolves from Steenee

Ability: Danse Macabre
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from 1 of this Pokémon's attacks and it has at least 5 more damage counters on it than its maximum HP, you may put 5 damage counters on your opponent's new Active Pokémon.

[G][G][C] Queen's Wrath 130
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack and it has at least 10 more damage counters on it than its maximum HP, take 1 more Prize card.

[G][C] Royal Decree GX 60
For the rest of this game, if you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, or if you have exactly 6 Prize cards remaining, each of your opponent's Basic or Stage 1 Pokémon in play, in their hand, and in their discard pile has no Abilities or attacks that aren't GX attacks during the turn they come into play. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [R]x2
Resistance: -
Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Terrakion SM223: at least x damage counters...
Stakataka SM180: maximum HP wording
Counter Gain, Ultra Beasts: Prize cards thing
Alolan Muk: restriction wording/syntax
Copycat Mimikyu: GX attack exclusion
When looking into Tsareena, it turned out that this Pokémon is pretty brutal: it likes to beat on already defeated opponents, and it laughs manically while doing so - that's pretty much the premise of this card. It hits good math, but I tink it's balanced out by being much slower with no built-in Energy acceleration requiring you to use something like Vikavolt (which clunks your deck) or attach manually.

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
For this round I'm going further back to the Neo era..

Presenting
STAGE 1Evolves from Light PiloswinePut Light Mamoswine on the Basic Pokémon
Light Mamoswine
110 HP (W)​
Stage 1 Pokémon
[Twin Tusk Pokémon. Length: 8'2", Weight: 641.5 lbs.]
Pokémon Power: Giant HeartOnce during your turn (before your attack), if your opponent has any Benched Pokémon, he or she chooses 1 of them and switches it with his or her Active Pokémon, then, if you have any Benched Pokémon, you switch 1 of them with your Active Pokémon. This power can't be used if Venusaur is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.
[W][W]
[C][C]​
Gentle Blizzard If the Defending Pokémon is a Baby or Pokémon, this attack does 10 damage instead of 60. If the Defending Pokémon is a Pokémon with Light in its name, this attack does 30 damage instead of 60.
weakness​
resistance​
retreat cost​
[G]​
[L] -30​
[C][C][C][C]​
[In some northern culture stories of a giant but kind creature were often told. It is said that this creature will appear after a snowslide and clear a path for other Pokémon to use. LV. 50 #473]

Reasoning & Reference,
- Assuming this card was released alongisde the Neo Destiny
- Typing/weakness/resistance follows it's previous evolution
- HP is +20 og the previous evolution as I compared with Light Dragonite n Light Machamp that have 20 HP increased compare to their Stage 1.
-Power reference Donphan's Rapid Spin (Neo Genesis)
-Attack reference Light Arcanine's Gentle Flame (Neo Destiny), Rocket's Hideout (Neo Revelation)
-Please forgive me if the layout seems terrible, i tried to mimic the cards actual layout but somehow can't figure out how to adjust the colums length

Kaleidophoenix

Reborn from the flames of glass and ash
2021_9_CAC.png
Tapu Koko GX GRI#047 "If you do, switch this Pokémon with your Active Pokémon."
Crobat V DAA#104 "You can't use more than 1 Dark Asset Ability per turn."
Flareon SWSH Promos SWSH#041 "Discard an Energy from this Pokémon. If you do, discard an Energy from your opponent's Active Pokémon."
Galarian Zapdos EVS#082 "When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, you may attach up to 2 [F] Energy cards from your hand to this Pokémon." → "...you may attach a basic [W] Energy card from your hand to this Pokémon."
I was inspired by the gold cards of Zacian, Zamazenta, and Eternatus, all of which are beautiful cards, and went in search of an art piece of a Legendary I could use. Enter TkptVN's Glastrier, and I knew I had the start of an idea. I've been a little disappointed that we haven't seen cards of them yet, even though I know the spotlight has been on the Calyrex merged forms. But it did leave design space for a 2 Prize Water tech in Ice Rider decks. Then it was just a matter of looking over its lore for ideas.

"This Pokémon generates intense cold air within its body and emits that cold from its nose and hooves. This cold air covers Glastrier’s face and legs in unyielding ice, giving its attacks extraordinary destructive power. Nimble movements are not Glastrier’s strong suit. But it can use the cold exuded from its hooves to freeze the ground, letting it shoot off sliding across the ice to close distances in a flash during battle."

This entry from the official Pokémon website describing Glastrier gave the first thought towards its Ability—Whiteout Rush. How to represent the flash freeze to slide quickly? How about a switch effect, similar to Tapu Koko GX's Aero Trail? But instead of pulling the ice from around itself, it produces it for itself, so the Water Energy comes from the hand. I liked this design space. Shadow Rider Calyrex VMAX has an Energy acceleration Ability, but on a Basic I knew it had to be more restrictive. A hard once per turn starts that fix, but the real thought comes in with the attack.

Diamond Trample requires 3 Water Energy to use—a rather restrictive cost for the attack, but it made you have to supply an extra Energy beyond its ability and your attachment for turn to use—of which Frosmoth, Froslass, Melony, and Raihan all provide. 160 damage is on the high end for damage, and most attacks with that amount of damage discard an Energy from the Pokémon to use. That's a start, but isn't interesting on its own. I thought about what Glastrier's diamond hooves might do when trampling over an opposing Pokémon, and came up with discarding an Energy from the defending Pokémon. This effect was partly what made me decide for 3[W] instead of 2[W][C].

As for its playability, it slots in Ice Rider at 1, maybe 2 copies. The Energy denial is good against matchups that aren't playing Energy acceleration, of which there are many. But even then, it might make the difference in a turn against Shadow Rider, or force an RS Urshifu to spend extra turns setting up it can't afford, especially if Boss'd up with a RS Energy attached. With Melony or Raihan, oft included cards in Ice Rider, it can be set up in 1 turn, and serves as a good 2 Prize option to offset the Prize race. 160 is also a decent number to hit, though 180 would be preferred. However, with the amount of CRE Inteleon around, 160 turns into 180 easily, allowing for Crobat V or other supporting V to be Boss'd up easily, and 160 also allows for 2KOs of most VMAXes, which usualy sit around the 320 mark. The higher HP VMAXes can be solved again with CRE Inteleon.

The last role I can see Glastrier V playing is an emergency switch. With a Retreat Cost of 1, its ability provides a free switch in and out of the Active Spot, allowing a damaged or status afflicted card to escape to the Bench, also bypassing cards like Tool Jammer for your own Air Balloon, or allowing something like a Snorlax to be pulled out of the Active if needed.

It has some fairly easy counterplay options. There are a decks that don't mind the Energy denial that much, and Path to the Peak shuts out the more useful part of this card. Metal Weakness also will not be good so long as Zacian V is legal, but Glastrier is going down to Brave Blade anyway.

I'm quite happy with how this turned out. I was able to churn this out rather quickly, even if it did need a couple wording fixes that were annoying to rework some foil effects around. I'd like to be able to put this level of quality into all of the cards I make, and I hope this is a fine first entry to do so with.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
(for SM era)
[Stage 2] Tsareena GX HP230 [G]
Evolves from Steenee

Ability: Danse Macabre
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from 1 of this Pokémon's attacks and it has at least 5 more damage counters on it than its maximum HP, you may put 5 damage counters on your opponent's new Active Pokémon.

[G][G][C] Queen's Wrath 130
If your opponent's Active Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack and it has at least 10 more damage counters on it than its maximum HP, take 1 more Prize card.

[G][C] Royal Decree GX 60
For the rest of this game, if you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, or if you have exactly 6 Prize cards remaining, each of your opponent's Basic or Stage 1 Pokémon in play, in their hand, and in their discard pile has no Abilities or attacks that aren't GX attacks during the turn they come into play. (You can't use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [R]x2
Resistance: -
Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Terrakion SM223: at least x damage counters...
Stakataka SM180: maximum HP wording
Counter Gain, Ultra Beasts: Prize cards thing
Alolan Muk: restriction wording/syntax
Copycat Mimikyu: GX attack exclusion
When looking into Tsareena, it turned out that this Pokémon is pretty brutal: it likes to beat on already defeated opponents, and it laughs manically while doing so - that's pretty much the premise of this card. It hits good math, but I tink it's balanced out by being much slower with no built-in Energy acceleration requiring you to use something like Vikavolt (which clunks your deck) or attach manually.
Woops, those were not all of my thoughts.
(attaching paragraph for convenience)

Heh, what do you know. Minus the GX attack, that could probably fit on an actual card.

The way this is intended to work is, say, your opponent's Active Pokémon is a Magikarp or something with 30 max hp, not current hp. If you use Queen's Wrath and KO it, it would have 130 damage on it (barring any modifiers) or 13 damage counters, i.e. 10 damage counters more than its max hp of 30. Because of this excess damage, you take an extra Prize card, and whatever your opponent promotes takes damage.

The Ability and attack are supposed to stack, which is why you put 5 damage counters rather than moving 5 damage counters to avoid any confusing interactions. It might be challenging to get that initial KO and get the ball rolling, but chaining KOs shouldn't be too too hard after you really get going.

For the GX attack, I felt the card needed just a bit of oomph to differentiate itself from Rayquaza GX, the other Vikavolt partner. I didn't want people to look at this and go "neat, still gonna play Ray tho" because of its speed and consistency. It would be nearly impossible to match a Basic with built-in Energy acceleration on a card like this while maintaining the balance, so rather than having it directly compete I gave it its own niche: slowing down the game.

It only works while you are behind or at full Prizes, and only for a turn. It's not gonna help you against an already set up board, it's only meant to give you a bit of breathing room as it's not something you can hide behind forever. Not to mention Stage 2s are completely unaffected.

Flavour wise, I went pretty hard on the queen and beating down opponents aspect. Damage counters not needed to down an opponent were the best way I could think of to represent this in this card. Originally I was gonna go with something that allowed you to KO your opponent's Active Pokémon twice if you had enough damage on it, but that was much too convoluted and very prone to become broken if any new factors came in.

Mr. Melon

Faking hard or flailing all around the yard.
CAC10 Trubbish.png

"Defending Pokémon": Omnium custom wording
"When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn": Crobat V
"you may make ... Poisoned": Weepinbell BST
"Reveal a card from your hand.": Smeargle ESK
"with the same name": Familiar Bell

Compared to my last entry, this one is much simpler, in concept, in wording, and in visuals. I went overboard last time, so this time I decided to make what I hope to be a strong, playable card, while not creating something ridiculously overpowered. I settled on Trubbish because it has historically been an interesting card, although never quite playable in its own right—the closest being the Tool Drop one from Plasma Storm. I took inspiration from meta-relevant cards like Galarian Zigzagoon, which does a tick of damage when played down, and sought to improve upon the concept. Poison does much the same thing as a tick of damage, but with some extra flavour and a little extra power, but the attack is what really sets Trubbish apart. Bag Search harkens back to the days of Sableye with Junk Hunt, allowing easy access to the discard pile. However, Bag Search draws on the resources you already have, so it could encourage some thoughtful play when thinking about resources. It could even recurr itself!

My favourite thought so far has been of a Trubbish/Toxicroak deck in Expanded, where you use Trubbish's Posion alongside Virbank and Toxicroak to accrue damage, with cards like Life Dew and Black Market to deny prizes, and Bag Search to bring back Trubbish after Trubbish.

I hope you enjoy the card, and although I did make it very powerful, sometimes the most garbage Pokémon need a little bit of meta love.

Credit to @CardPone for Omnium Blanks
And Steve K. for the Trubbish artwork.

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Woah I'm late again
444.png

Gabite HP90 [D]

Stage 1-Evolves from Gible

[Ability]Dig Up
Once during your turn,you may look at a number of the the top cards of your deck equal to the number of Prize cards you have taken and attach any number of basic Energy cards you find there to 1 of your Pokémon.Discard the other cards.You can't use more than 1 Dig Up each turn.

[F] [W] Dragon Breath 30
Flip a coin.Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness:None
Resistance:None
Retreat Cost: [C]

"Jewels are buried in the caves these Pokémon nest in, but you’ll be torn apart by claws and fangs the moment you enter one of these caves."

This is basically a Zacian V\Gardevoir but it works with every kind of Energy.However,the number of cards you have to draw depends on how many cards you have taken during the game,so this Ability is a bit useless at the start of the game,but you won't regret it when you'll get this on play.
The ability's acceleration is great for Pokèmon like Rayquaza VMAX or Shadow Rider Calyrex,or simply for other Pokèmon whose attacks cost a lot.
Also,discarding works somehow great with Mad Party Pokèmon(if that doesn't rotate I don't remember that).

Dragon Breath is...pretty useless.That's it.But it's not the important part of the card anyway.

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
Formatting the text doesn't seem to work right now, so I apologize if this looks messy.
But here's my entry:

Nidoqueen V - Fighting - HP 220
Basic - Rapid Strike

Ability: Queendom
When you play this Pokémon from your hand during your turn, you may attach it to a Stadium in play that doesn’t already have a card attached to it. While this card is attached, it doesn’t count as a Pokémon and that Stadium has the additional effect “Put 4 damage counters on both non-[F] Active Pokémon during Pokémon Checkup. Special Conditions are not removed when either player’s Pokémon evolve or devolve.” When that Stadium leaves play, put this Pokémon into your hand.

[F][C][C] Royal Rumble 110
Choose up to 2:
  • Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned.
  • Put a Stadium card from your hand or discard pile into play.
  • Put this Pokémon and all attached cards into your hand.

Weakness: [ P ]x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C][C][C]
V rule: When your Pokémon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

I made Nidoqueen a fighting type because (1)there are not many fighting-type counterpart of fighting-type Nidoking in the TCG, and (2)Nidoqueen is part ground type in the video games. Fighting type also works well with Nidoqueen’s psychic weakness.

The Ability was tricky to word. Basically, Nidoqueen attaches herself to the Stadium and changes the field into her own palace by adding extra effects. This cannot be stacked. While Nidoqueen is attached, other cards that affect or interact with “Pokemon” have no effect on Nidoqueen specifically. Only way to remove Nido is to remove the Stadium itself.
I assume “Pokemon Checkup” means anything that happens between turns, and not just limited to altering damage of Special Conditions. Otherwise I would have used the old “between turns” phrase instead. Regardless, the damage to non-Fighting Pokemon has nothing to do with Special Conditions.
For wording references, I used Pokemon Tool ruling, Muk (Team Up #63), Sky Field (Roaring Skies #89) and tidbits from several other cards.

The attack name is a reference to a wrestling show event, but I think the “royalty” is also fitting for Nido. The attack combos with the Ability, and having multiple options is why I made this card Rapid Strike.
For wording reference, I used Liepard V’s attack (Chilling Reign #104).

Being thicc, Nidoqueen usually has heavy retreat cost. Not much else to say, I hope you like this card!

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
The fighting energy symbol is messed up XD
Attack cost is [F][C][C] and the Ability should say "non-[F] Active Pokemon"
And weakness is supposed to be Psychic (color is not clear).
Again, I apologize for this but formatting is not working for me on this site.

Fixed, dw about it. ~~Jabberwock

Last edited by a moderator:

KnightofDust

your future past waits
CaC_Hitmontop.png

Model by GuilTronPrime
Blank by aschefield101, modified by me
Symbols by aschefield101
Holosheet provided by picky-BA on discord
Textures by @CardPone
Render by me
Gold outline done by @steffenka
Background and sparkles by @Nemes
Happy 10th birthday CaC.

This card is inspired by Nemes' Gold Mimikyu FA and bb's M Gallade EX FA and partly because I haven't done a Gold FA since 2017.

Also this year would also mark my 10th year into Pokemon card faking, so that's neat. 12 year old me never expected to do this for more than a few months but I guess you never know.
Just for completeness sake.
Gold_Hitmonchan.png

Model by CelestCSilvari
Gold_Hitmonlee.png

Model by GuilTronPrime

ThePigThatCriedRii

Aspiring Trainer
Entry time!

Dusk Mane Necrozma
Pokémon - [M] - 120
Basic Pokémon - Ultra Beast

NO. 800 Prism Pokémon HT: 12'06" WT: 1014.1 lbs

Ability: Through the Breach
When you play this Pokémon from your hand onto your Bench during your turn, if you have more Prize cards remaining than your opponent, you may switch 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon. If you do, switch your Active Pokémon with this Pokémon.

[M]: Prisma Strike 130
If your opponent’s Active Pokémon doesn’t have a Rule Box, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -30
Retreat: [C][C][C]

When it dominates Solgaleo, it takes on this form. It's a vicious Pokémon, mangling prey with its many claws—including those on its back.

doofisconfused

aspiring doof
brionne3.0.png

whoah look at that
wow
could it be
it's a mediocre card with a side of procrastination
for real though, i'm proud of this card! the only reason i didn't use holosheets is fear + procrastination
picky—BA from the discord server @EM-isthmus (edited because pokebeach handle's probably better than discord) was a HUGE help with the wording and the smaller details that i missed!!!
once again
super cool
thank you

Attachments

• brionne2.5.png
    brionne2.5.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
NmexbgF.png

Being able to make decisions for your opponent is largely unexplored design space. Combining this with messing with your opponent's Prizes, another barely touched area, and you've got something truly interesting. Prize Tangle is Dragalge's calling card, allowing you a huge amount of control over what your opponent gets off a kill. You can choose either face up or face down cards, so it doesn't lose its utility if you haven't attacked with it (or if all their remaining Prizes are already face up). As a balancing factor, it can only snatch Trainer cards (specifically, it cannot discard Supporters to prevent your opponent from mounting a comeback). This is slightly less of a big deal in a format with Claydol GE, but deleting Trainers is still a pretty powerful effect. Prize cards are spoken of as plural in case of things like Expert Belt.

In order to help facilitate more efficient decisions with Prize Tangle, we have Dragon Snare, an attack adapted from Ambipom MT's Charity Tail attack. In exchange for a colored cost and slightly less damage, you gain slightly increased damage and a possible added effect if your opponent chooses to pay up since the cost to your opponent isn't as potentially debilitating. The attack needed to be powerful in order to give Dragalge a reason to be up front and swinging; I considered making Prize Tangle activate on any death on your side but I didn't want it to be a global Bench sitter that essentially let you pick apart your opponent's Prizes. I also think that seventy damage is a good place for it, as it will 2HKO things at best in the mid to late game, and it's cheap enough that you can stream attacks with it fairly easily.

Dragalge's main type is Poison, so the card is Psychic (and I didn't want this to be Colorless anyway). It has a +20 Psychic Weakness and no Resistance, as is standard for this era.

Main references: Ambipom MT, Mawile GE, Glalie MT

Mr. Sableye

Lithovore Extraordinaire
farfetchd.png
A Farfetch'd cutting down trees to bring back to turn into charcoal! Maybe it lives in Azalea Town?

Pyrolysis is the scientific term for one of the processes involved in making charcoal. Thematically, Farfetch'd is burning wood/fuel (Item cards) for energy.

Fell Tree is just an obvious reference the the act of felling a tree. I opted to make the search a little more generic to make the tie between Pyroysis and Fell Tree a little less obvious. Plus, maybe you'll find a Supporter behind the tree you just cut down... or a hidden cave (Stadium)!
BST Galarian Articuno V - Reconstitute - You must discard 2 cards from your hand in order to use this Ability.
EVS Leafeon V - Greening Cells - Once during your turn, you may search your deck for a {G} Energy card and attach it to 1 of your Pokémon. Then, shuffle your deck.
CRE Tornadus VMAX - Max Wind Spirit - If a Stadium is in play, this attack does 120 more damage. Then, discard that Stadium.
VIV Opal - Search your deck for a number of cards up to the number of heads, put them into your hand, and shuffle your deck.

AlphaLad

Aspiring Trainer
derx0qs-b713225f-6629-461f-be07-83ea379a58bc.png

For this month's entry, I decided to go with yet another BY. Just to be clear, these do NOT retain the attacks/abilities of their previous evolution (I know I might've made that confusing last CaC). For this one I chose Emolga, due in part to how well the Pokken art works for "rulebox" cards. I wanted to make this more of a utility mon that could also work offensively if needed. The utility aspect is covered by its Energizer ability, whose effect lets you both draw extra cards at the start of your turn as well as accelerate Energy to your bench. This is balanced out by the fact that Emolga must be active for the ability to work, coupled with the fact that it's an evolving 2 prizer. Double Bolt is a fairly standard attack that synergizes well with the ability, and allows Emolga to dish out some decent damage. Having no retreat cost is also very beneficial, allowing Emolga to escape from danger whenever you need it to. Era-wise, this card is balanced and worded for current SwSh. The blank and BY mechanic are my own, and the art is from Pokken.