'25th Anniversary Collection' and 'Fusion Arts' Pokemon TCG Sets Announced for Japan!

Each card will feature “conceptual artwork” of the Pokemon in its “environment,” though this last point is purposefully left open to interpretation (see the Japanese below).
Concept art? As in GAME concept art? Or something similar?
Interested to see what this means.
If you purchase four booster packs of the set, you’ll receive a 1-card promo booster pack. It will feature “cards from the past.” The cards in this pack will not be legal for Standard tournament play, which probably means they are reprints of old cards (such as the Starter Pokemon we’re getting in our First Partner Packs, which are illegal jumbo cards). These promo packs will also be included within other products.
YES! YES YES YES!
I don’t care how many or how few of these there are, if they are all base-set or span Pokémon TCG history, these are going to be GREAT! ANY reprint is an amazing breakthrough, and if these aren’t standard legal then they MUST be reprints of vintage cards with some more or less minor cosmetic change!
And as for the size, XY Evolutions was great as a one-time thing, but having a smaller 25th Anniversary set is a smart move because it will make completing the set much more manageable.
Also, the introduction of a new battle style indicates that true battle styles mechanics may last into the following year! Even if it doesn’t, though, we’ve still had a great year for Pokémon TCG mechanics, if not so much a good year for original card effects.

Wonder how the Fusion style will pan out. Kinda sad that thus far Rapid Strike has gotten all the attention but Single Strike really only has Houndoom as a good card. I'm glad they aren't ditching the mechanic yet when there's still so much they can expand on.

I really wish that they'd focus on making the cards themselves interesting to play, instead of just slapping a label on the side that doesn't actually do anything itself to compensate for how boring the card design is.

Hopefully the "Fusion" style actually has a unique gameplay effect

I'm guessing the "Fusion" battle style represents versatile Pokemon like Mew, Ditto, Porygon, Smeargle, Kecleon, Arceus, and Silvally. Attack copying, type changing, and the like. Ninetales, Zoroark, Nihilego, Clefairy, and some ghosts could also probably fall under it.
Zoroark Vmax fusion would be cool

Seeing some of those promotional images of some of the TCGs historic cards is really giving me that feeling of nostalgia, specifically the ones in relation to the BW and XY eras where I started out in the TCG. It’s weird to think I’m feeling nostalgia over these sets that still feel so recent to me, but… Here we are I guess. Specifically seeing even the mention of BW cards like Plasma Kyurem, and eventually for XY, the combo of M Rayquaza and Shaymin, I’m thinking back to the nearly two straight years I exclusively played that deck. I miss those days…

I should also add, in terms of the actual set, the fact that the Base Venusaur is textured is a really cool way of redoing these cards! It makes them feel special and unique amongst their original counterparts, and I’m really hoping they keep that around for our side of things. The idea of stuff like a textured Umbreon Gold Star… Man, I can’t wait to see more on this set.

• Mew - it is a nerfed yet better version of TUP Jirachi since it doesn't need to self-sleep while using it but only searches you Itrms. Don't get me wrong, you can steamroll some items like Quick Ball for setup etc. But Celebi and Manaphy has the same ability but on different subjects and never saw any play at all. Why do we expect so much on this one? 3-4

Seeing some of those promotional images of some of the TCGs historic cards is really giving me that feeling of nostalgia, specifically the ones in relation to the BW and XY eras where I started out in the TCG. It’s weird to think I’m feeling nostalgia over these sets that still feel so recent to me, but… Here we are I guess. Specifically seeing even the mention of BW cards like Plasma Kyurem, and eventually for XY, the combo of M Rayquaza and Shaymin, I’m thinking back to the nearly two straight years I exclusively played that deck. I miss those days…

I should also add, in terms of the actual set, the fact that the Base Venusaur is textured is a really cool way of redoing these cards! It makes them feel special and unique amongst their original counterparts, and I’m really hoping they keep that around for our side of things. The idea of stuff like a textured Umbreon Gold Star… Man, I can’t wait to see more on this set.
Imagine this as an English counterpa
venusaur-base-set-bs-15.jpg
but with 25th anniversary official stamp

Imagine this as an English counterpa
venusaur-base-set-bs-15.jpg
but with 25th anniversary official stamp
it'd probably be the old style template with 1 line of 4 [G] energy, a precedent set during XY Evolutions. Still sexy, though.

Is this FINALLY the reprint set we need and deserve? Iconic cards? All eras? Errata updates? TCGO support?! Cubes rejoice?! Will we finally have the vintage format Pokémon so desperately needs?!

Based mostly on the images... I'm so, so excited.

I generally have zero interest in collecting Japanese cards but these are cool enough I might try.

I've never looked into it before but is there a way to order directly from Japan or their Pokemon Center to ship to the U.S.?

Like how do scalpers get their hands on them and is there a chance to beat them?

Last edited:
it'd probably be the old style template with 1 line of 4 [G] energy, a precedent set during XY Evolutions. Still sexy, though.

Is this FINALLY the reprint set we need and deserve? Iconic cards? All eras? Errata updates? TCGO support?! Cubes rejoice?! Will we finally have the vintage format Pokémon so desperately needs?!

Based mostly on the images... I'm so, so excited.
We already know that the reprint/homage cards will use their original Energy template, not the modern one.

I wish the English cards had that 25th box stamp as opposed to the 25th Pikachu head.

It looks more streamlined.

Back