Collecting Complete Shining/Shiny Pokemon Card Database

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe anyone has created a complete list of every Shiny Pokemon card, and Bulbapedia's list is criminally empty. So, because collecting Shinys is my number one priority for my own personal collection, I finally decided to create a complete checklist on Google Docs:D

You can view the Google Doc with the complete list HERE.

I've been collecting Shiny Pokemon cards ever since I pulled a Shining Magikarp from a First Edition Neo Revelation pack in 2003, and I seriously started hunting them after I pulled a Rayquaza Star from an EX Deoxys pack from my now-closed local game store. The Corocoro Shining Mew Promo is my favorite card of all time as well <3 I will be constantly updating this database every time a new Shiny Pokemon card is revealed, as well as every time I acquire one I am missing. I also update my signature with the number I currently own c:

I have explained a few things at the top of the list, including why First Editions are not counted as separate items. Obviously some people might not agree with this, but it is how I established the rules for my own collecting purposes. Also, some of the formatting might not be in place because I usually edit this at work on a different browser than I have at home, but that will all be adjusted soon.

Feel free to reference this list to see how many Shiny Pokemon cards you guys have <3

(And for those interested, I also have a complete Mew card list on Google Docs, seen HERE.)

Last edited:

MasterGallade

Unless anyone wants to debate it, I've decided to add Pryce's Delibird and Sabrina's Espeon from the VS set to the list - these two cards have always stuck out to me, as they are clearly drawn in their Shiny form (Espeon is more obvious than Delibird), which can be determined by comparing them to their Gold & Silver sprites as well as another one of their cards from the same set:

Delibird:
Spr_2g_225.png
Spr_2g_225_s.png

FalknerDelibirdVS6.jpg
PryceDelibirdVS45.jpg

Espeon:
Spr_2g_196.png
Spr_2g_196_s.png

WillEspeonVS76.jpg
SabrinaEspeonVS56.jpg

I'm not sure if these were specifically commissioned by Creatures to be drawn as Shiny, or if the artists took creative liberty, but either way I definitely count them as part of my complete list c:

Last edited:

atoizoi

Aspiring Trainer
Unless anyone wants to debate it, I've decided to add Pryce's Delibird and Sabrina's Espeon from the VS set to the list - these two cards have always stuck out to me, as they are clearly drawn in their Shiny form (Espeon is more obvious than Delibird), which can be determined by comparing them to their Gold & Silver sprites as well as another one of their cards from the same set:
[...]
I'm not sure if these were specifically commissioned by Creatures to be drawn as Shiny, or if the artists took creative liberty, but either way I definitely count them as part of my complete list c:

Hi there! I've been using your list to see if I'm missing anything from my own shiny collection for a while, thanks a lot for sharing it and updating it!

Not that anyone asked but I'm personally skipping a specific few: Japanese Shining Magikarp promo (since it's the same artwork with the normal english shining magikarp), the WC gold stars (as non valid TCG cards), all Jumbo cards (also non valid TCG cards), the Volcarona tournament stamped cards (generally I don't collect variations that only differ at a stamp), and the evolution stage error Zoroark (not collecting error cards). Having said that, I'm currently sitting at 322 unique cards (missing almost all Gold Stars, and a bunch of shinies from Shining Fates/Battle Styles/Chilling Reign).

However, I recently noticed your addition of the two VS cards and let's say that I find these two... debatable. :)
I do see the pinkish color of the Delibird (and I already ordered one in pristine condition since it's not that rare/expensive :p) but it could potentially be from trying to make the artwork look like it's oversaturated and bright.

And I'm having an especially hard time with the Espeon since most of it is purple while there is only a hint of dark greenish, still mixed with a lot of purple in the center. Again I feel like this is a stylistic effect to give a better feeling of the weird and dark environment and the surrounding lights, rather than making it shiny. Similar to how this Carbink has deeper blue gems on it, like the shiny would, and is even considered to be shiny by the bulbapedia trivia section, while it's obviously not since the "neck" color is not correct. Also similar to how Morty's Misdreavus from Pokemon VS also has hints of green in it but is not shiny (the tips of the "hair" should be yellow for the shiny).

Is there any other discussion about these two cards being shiny elsewhere? Can't find anything.

Last edited:

MasterGallade

Hi there! I've been using your list to see if I'm missing anything from my own shiny collection for a while, thanks a lot for sharing it and updating it!

Not that anyone asked but I'm personally skipping a specific few: Japanese Shining Magikarp promo (since it's the same artwork with the normal english shining magikarp), the WC gold stars (as non valid TCG cards), all Jumbo cards (also non valid TCG cards), the Volcarona tournament stamped cards (generally I don't collect variations that only differ at a stamp), and the evolution stage error Zoroark (not collecting error cards). Having said that, I'm currently sitting at 322 unique cards (missing almost all Gold Stars, and a bunch of shinies from Shining Fates/Battle Styles/Chilling Reign).

However, I recently noticed your addition of the two VS cards and let's say that I find these two... debatable. :)
I do see the pinkish color of the Delibird (and I already ordered one in pristine condition since it's not that rare/expensive :p) but it could potentially be from trying to make the artwork look like it's oversaturated and bright.

And I'm having an especially hard time with the Espeon since most of it is purple while there is only a hint of dark greenish, still mixed with a lot of purple in the center. Again I feel like this is a stylistic effect to give a better feeling of the weird and dark environment and the surrounding lights, rather than making it shiny. Similar to how this Carbink has deeper blue gems on it, like the shiny would, and is even considered to be shiny by the bulbapedia trivia section, while it's obviously not since the "neck" color is not correct. Also similar to how Morty's Misdreavus from Pokemon VS also has hints of green in it but is not shiny (the tips of the "hair" should be yellow for the shiny).

Is there any other discussion about these two cards being shiny elsewhere? Can't find anything.

No problem, I'm glad to hear someone's getting use out of it:D And that's what's great about collecting - it's totally fair to define what it is you want to collect personally, as opposed to every single version of every card in existence haha

I don't think I've never seen anyone discuss these two VS cards anywhere on the internet before, which is so weird to me LOL but yeah that's the problem with cards like this, because of what you were saying about the lighting and the environments having color effects on the Pokemon themselves, making it hard to tell if they really are Shiny or not (which clearly, without the blue neck color, that Carbink is not; Bulbapedia should really remove that from the listing lol)

In the case of the Espeon, the one thing that really convinces me is its eyes, which are a much different color that its regular form, and are instead closer to its modern Shiny sprites; in fact, I'm much more convinced that the Espeon is Shiny as opposed to the Delibird, which I feel like could more clearly be blamed on the lighting/environment - BUT in both cases, it's the stark differences between the supposed Shiny artworks and the clearly regular-colored artworks of the other cards of the same Pokemon from the same set that really convince me that they are indeed Shiny c:

Of course, anyone is free to interpret my list how it fits them personally <3

atoizoi

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah I see your points!

By the way, I'm sure you are familiar with some of the following cards, but I'd like to offer for consideration cards with shiny pokemon in the general artwork or references to shiny pokemon:

1) Pikachu with Shiny Rayquaza poncho: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Poncho-wearing_Pikachu_(XY-P_Promo_231)
2) Hoopa with Shiny Rayquaza in the background: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoopa_(XY-P_Promo_155)
3) Cynthia (Hidden Fates Full Art) with shiny Lucario in the background: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:CynthiaHiddenFatesSV82.jpg
4) My personal favorite: Shining Imakuni? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shining_Imakuni?_(P_Promo_18)

Even if the above don't count towards a completion goal, I think they deserve at least a mention in any list with shiny TCG pokemon (even as an appendix)! :D

Let me know if you know of other similar cards!

MasterGallade

Yeah I see your points!

By the way, I'm sure you are familiar with some of the following cards, but I'd like to offer for consideration cards with shiny pokemon in the general artwork or references to shiny pokemon:

1) Pikachu with Shiny Rayquaza poncho: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Poncho-wearing_Pikachu_(XY-P_Promo_231)
2) Hoopa with Shiny Rayquaza in the background: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoopa_(XY-P_Promo_155)
3) Cynthia (Hidden Fates Full Art) with shiny Lucario in the background: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:CynthiaHiddenFatesSV82.jpg
4) My personal favorite: Shining Imakuni? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shining_Imakuni?_(P_Promo_18)

Even if the above don't count towards a completion goal, I think they deserve at least a mention in any list with shiny TCG pokemon (even as an appendix)! :D

Let me know if you know of other similar cards!

YESSS Shining Imakuni? is one of my favorite cards of all time <3 (I've always loved the Imakuni? cards they're so hilarious LOL)

The reason I don't count these cards is because they are either not specifically cards of a Pokemon (in the case of Imakuni? and Cynthia, as well as the Gyarados Spirit Link from BREAKpoint) or the name of the card doesn't include the Shiny Pokemon that is pictured in the illustration (like with the Hoopa and Poncho-Wearing Pikachu), BUT I will definitely add them as an Extras/Appendix section at the bottom of my list, because they do deserve to be recognized :D

steffenka

Miss Vaanjie
I think another interesting card is Nidoqueen from Skyridge. I've always thought it looked more Green than Blue, with the chestplates being much darker than the light yellow that they usually are. Idk if it's just me who thinks this, or if it's just the lighting, but I think it's worth mentioning hehe :p

MasterGallade

I think another interesting card is Nidoqueen from Skyridge. I've always thought it looked more Green than Blue, with the chestplates being much darker than the light yellow that they usually are. Idk if it's just me who thinks this, or if it's just the lighting, but I think it's worth mentioning hehe :p

OH I forgot about this card haha - this is a very interesting case because for whatever reason, Sugimori's early stock art on the Jungle and Gym Challenge cards also depict Nidoqueen in similar colors, and Arita's Skyridge art seems to follow this color scheme rather than the colors of its sprite in RBY and GSC; I guess they were just super indecisive of what colors to go with LOL even in RSE her regular colors are lighter than they are now

Spr_2g_031.png
Spr_3r_031.png

NidoqueenJungle7.jpg
GiovanniNidoqueenGymChallenge23.jpg

Joeyboii

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you for making a list that includes Japanese, I missed a few. Also I agree that the 2 VS cards do look shiny with espeon being green with red eyes like the gold star and delibird being purple/pink in midday where as if it was red I think it would be orange. Also there are 2 delibirds and espeons in that set maybe they wanted to differentiate the two.

What do you think of the gengar from skyridge? It also sticks out to me because it’s greyish blue in daylight similar to the shiny from the volcanion movie, it’s far from purple. Also the charmander from boundaries crossed, but it could also not be shiny because of the sunny environment but it stands out compared to other charmander cards.

Last edited:

MasterGallade

Nice to see someone make a list including Japanese with a few that I missed. I also agree that the 2 VS cards do look shiny with espeon being green with red eyes like the gold star and delibird being purple/pink in midday where as if it was red I think it would be orange.

What do you think of the gengar from skyridge? It also sticks out to me because it’s greyish blue in daylight similar to the shiny from the volcanion movie, it’s far from purple. Also the charmander from boundaries crossed, but it could also not be shiny because of the sunny environment but it stands out compared to other charmander cards.
Thank you :D I'm glad you agree about the VS cards, I spent so many years wondering if I was just crazy thinking they were actually Shiny so it's great to finally get validation haha

On the Gengar, I almost would think it was Shiny if not for the eyes being red, since its eyes are bright magenta in its Shiny colors from the GSC era; it's true its Shiny colors have changed slightly in modern eras, but I would judge the card based on the sprite during the era the card was actually released

The Charmander is a bit more tricky; the eye color is very similar to the Shiny colors, however I think the real tell is the belly/underfoot color, which is a very light yellow (almost sand color) as opposed to a slightly more saturated yellow on its regular colors. A very subtle difference but I think it's more because of the sunny surroundings like you said :p

Joeyboii

Aspiring Trainer
Thank you :D I'm glad you agree about the VS cards, I spent so many years wondering if I was just crazy thinking they were actually Shiny so it's great to finally get validation haha

On the Gengar, I almost would think it was Shiny if not for the eyes being red, since its eyes are bright magenta in its Shiny colors from the GSC era; it's true its Shiny colors have changed slightly in modern eras, but I would judge the card based on the sprite during the era the card was actually released

The Charmander is a bit more tricky; the eye color is very similar to the Shiny colors, however I think the real tell is the belly/underfoot color, which is a very light yellow (almost sand color) as opposed to a slightly more saturated yellow on its regular colors. A very subtle difference but I think it's more because of the sunny surroundings like you said :p
Wow I didn’t catch the eye color and your right it’s magenta on the sprites although now the eye colors are almost the same shade. Also for the charmander there’s a Japanese promo of it (165/BW-P) and you can see that the bottom portion is a more darker orange around the tail and legs but because of the sunlight it looks shiny. I’m pretty bummed on the gengar, weird they made it grey/blue instead of purple.

Joeyboii

Aspiring Trainer
I recently found another few cards that could be shiny, the palkia lvl x promo and Conkeldurr from plasma storm. How do you feel about pokemon that had their normal and shiny colors swapped like raichu and smeargel? Also toxicroak who in the anime is teal and red/pink as opposed to its darker game colors? I don’t know how the anime almost always gets the colors wrong.

Last edited:

MasterGallade

I recently found another few cards that could be shiny, the palkia lvl x promo and Conkeldurr from plasma storm. How do you feel about pokemon that had their normal and shiny colors swapped like raichu and smeargel? Also toxicroak who in the anime is teal and red/pink as opposed to its darker game colors? I don’t know how the anime almost always gets the colors wrong.
Man, the Conkeldurr is baffling me LOL. It's easy to see that the Plasma Storm print doesn't directly match the normal colors from BW/2, especially its "muscle veins" being more red than the obvious purple (kawayoo's art from Noble Victories has a similar situation), but even the first Conkeldurr card from Noble Victories barely matches the same purple in its normal BW/2 sprite... But honestly these all feel like artistic liberty and/or disconnect between Ken Sugimori's art and the sprites (you can really tell the difference in the vein color when comparing these two depictions); it just seems too random to have this many Conkeldurr cards be inconsistent to count them as Shiny, even Miki Tanaka's newest art in Battle Styles doesn't directly match its model in the games lol

As for Palkia LV.X, it's funny cuz for the longest time I swore the Palkia from Majestic Dawn was Shiny, especially since it was done by the artist of the Gold Stars, Masakazu Fukuda, but in this situation you gotta look at the main skin color, as well as the color of the pearls on its shoulders, which both don't completely match Palkia's Shiny colors (compare them to the Call of Legends Palkia for the easiest way to tell).

For Raichu/Smeargle, GF was definitely in the time when sprite/artwork disconnect was very common, and tons of color schemes and/or designs weren't completely set in stone. Idk what the reasoning for Smeargle is, but for Raichu I feel like they swapped them to make its normal coloring more similar to Pikachu and they stuck with it; so obviously we're not gonna count every Raichu/Smeargle card after the Neo era as a Shiny Pokemon haha (We still don't have any other Shiny Raichu cards to this day 😭)

(Also yeah the anime is a mess sometimes so I wouldn't even think about that too hard LOL)

beatbox2000

Aspiring Trainer
Nice list. Why'd you do it in Docs and not Sheets?

At least you've got all the old ones - did you get those pre-boom? How cheap were they then? Haha

MasterGallade

Nice list. Why'd you do it in Docs and not Sheets?

At least you've got all the old ones - did you get those pre-boom? How cheap were they then? Haha
Thanks <3 I really just use Docs the most so I naturally started it in that, I might convert to Sheets later but it annoys me sometimes so idk haha

Yeah luckily I decided pretty early on to try collecting them all:cool: Everything prior to Hidden Fates I was able to get before the boom; I remember getting some of my Gold Stars (Regirock, Alakazam, and Flareon) from a mall toy shop in 2010 for $15-$20 LOL

leetic

Aspiring Trainer
Ancient Origins Gardevoir is a card where I'm unsure whether it's supposed to be shiny. It could be a result of the weird lighting, and the "dress" lacks the magenta tint, but the shade of cyan looks distinctive.

MasterGallade

Ancient Origins Gardevoir is a card where I'm unsure whether it's supposed to be shiny. It could be a result of the weird lighting, and the "dress" lacks the magenta tint, but the shade of cyan looks distinctive.
This was always a super debatable one to me too, but the fact that it doesn't have a clearly orange chest horn & eyes convinces me it isn't Shiny, even if the lighting does a really good job at tricking us haha

RippedPikaJew

Aspiring Trainer
Question, is M-Charizard-EX from flash fire #69 and #108, generations #12 not considered a shiny pokémon? I ask because it's not on your list.