Pikachu Illustrator Card Traded for $900,000 in Charizards, Most Expensive Pokemon Card in History!

Mikelele

Aspiring Trainer
$900,000...

That literally can buy you multiple houses...

But Pikachu is definitely worth it though

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Glad it went to someone who has legit passion and interest and not a fair weather Twitch streamer who would take a flamethrower to it or submerge it in liquids for views.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
who needs to invest in bitcoins when you can collect a few Charizard cards???

ngl this is pretty awesome to see though

Vintage Values

Aspiring Trainer
"The card’s artwork represents the real meaning of the Pokemon TCG: yes it’s a card game, but it’s 90% about collecting cards! And collecting is all about the artwork!"

Exactly. This is what makes Pokémon unique from other TCGs like Yugioh and MTG: collectors are, and always have been, the majority of consumers. And the fact that Pokémon has become the bestselling TCG ahead of even MTG shows the direction of the overall TCG market: collectors are the future of TCGs. People have gotten a taste of the Lambo money there is to be made via card collecting, and that's gonna keep all these new collectors around.

I believe that, in 5 years from now, card shops will either have adapted to cater to collectors as their primary market rather than players, or will be out of business.

ORLYJuJu

Aspiring Trainer
Glad it went to someone who has legit passion and interest and not a fair weather Twitch streamer who would take a flamethrower to it or submerge it in liquids for views.
Wtf is up with this trend anyway? I loathe it so much.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Wtf is up with this trend anyway? I loathe it so much.
To flex their money and drum up clout because Pokémon cards have been the hot commodity for the last few months.

Though, I think it might be somewhat dying out going by shelves somewhat having variety again.