'Battle Style' is March's Set, Introduces New Single Strike and Rapid Strike Cards!

NotSeen

Aspiring Trainer
The video is awfully cool. I know about videos for TCG from earlier, but (in my opinion, of course), THIS ONE really motivates me and I already can't wait to have some of those cards. Even if they're not THAT GREAT on the paper, the video still adds the fuel to that.

DangerLiam

Aspiring Trainer
It's a shame it's taken this long to work out the "Rule Box" wording, feel like that could have gotten around a number of problems with GX, V, EX and so forth.

flariados

Aspiring Trainer
These cards remind me of the Team Magma and Team Aqua cards from 2004, complete with the special energies, trainers and support Pokemon. Also the focal two Pokemon (Kyogre/Ground and the Urshifus). The more I think about it, the more similar it feels.

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
what's the point of that empoleon ability? "rule box" pokemon are the only basics you'd really want to be blocking the abilities of. they must be terrified of tanking crobat/dedenne's value

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Urishifuru Rapid Strike looks really bad, even with ACOG Scope it won't be 1-shotting anything on the bench. Who would have thought that a slow and methodical approach won't really fit a ridiculously fast format?

Single Strike on the other hand can OHKO basically any GX, so I expect to see a lot of it. It even gets to set itself up on Turn 1.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Neat. I always like the label/faction-based card gimmicks like SP and Owner's Pokemon. Having Trainer & Energy cards count as the type of cards + having an opposing faction was something I felt was missing from last gen's Ultra Beast mechanic. Makes the cards more fun to collect for me.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
  • Rapid Urshifu V/VMAX - I mean 1 energy to KO Eternatus VMAX for 3 prizes with minimum effort that Coalossal, I'll go for that! The main is ehh. You're only source of F energy accel is Bea and possibly some Rapid-Style cards. You're not even OHKO 2 Dedennes even with Telescopic Sight for a cost of 3 energy. I might be wrong. 3/4-5 Geodudes
  • Single Urshifu V/VMAX - V, ehh. Okay, you can get an OHKO on Eternatus and Pikarom, but Lucario can do the same thing. VMax? I'm not fan of that. Again, unless there's a way to get 4 energy in one turn, without any huge risks to take, I'll buying it. 3/3-4
  • Empoleon V - Well, people mocking on cards like Scoop Up Net which can pikcup EXs, Empoleon might change it. Empoleon cannot turn off abilities of Pokemon with multiple prizes to give up. Like what, what Poksmon it can off, SM Oranguru? 3
  • Tyranitar V - Eternatus won't buy that thing. Just go for 2 energy Dread End with 8 Bench D mon on it. 3-4
  • Mienshao - reminds me of FFI Mienshao. Kinda love that! ;) 3-4
  • Houndoom -The goodness of this card depends on the Pokémon that is worth using the card. 3-4
  • Octillery - Universal search for Rapid mons, cool. 3-4
  • Emboar - be realistic, you can once in play because it's a Stage 2. Or don't play at all, it's your choice. 3

2 Rebel Clash Coalossal(Ability) + Dojo + Single-Strike Energy + Vitality Band = 1HKO to VMAXes that are NOT Psychics and/or Fliers(Colorless cards that are Flying-type in the VGs) in the event you have more Prizes remaining than your opponent...

Empoleon V changed the regular game. No more Rillaboom ability use, no more Perrserker add-on damage from ADPZ, and even no more V/GX damage-blocking from Decidueye, as all of the above will be stripped of the Abilities that allow those things to happen, but in order to make such stripping happen, Empoleon V has to stay in the Active spot.

^ If you have a Yanmega or some other pokemon that can switch out after attacking in deck to ensure the opponent can't use their Abilities on their turn...

What is this 'rule box' terminology on the empoleon card, is that to also target EX cards too?
Yes. If Scoop-Up Net had the same terminology, maybe we wouldn't have seen Shaymin-EX banned from Expanded as quick as it actually happened...

The Fish

0.o
2 Rebel Clash Coalossal(Ability) + Dojo + Single-Strike Energy + Vitality Band = 1HKO to VMAXes that are NOT Psychics and/or Fliers(Colorless cards that are Flying-type in the VGs) in the event you have more Prizes remaining than your opponent...

Empoleon V changed the regular game. No more Rillaboom ability use, no more Perrserker add-on damage from ADPZ, and even no more V/GX damage-blocking from Decidueye, as all of the above will be stripped of the Abilities that allow those things to happen, but in order to make such stripping happen, Empoleon V has to stay in the Active spot.

^ If you have a Yanmega or some other pokemon that can switch out after attacking in deck to ensure the opponent can't use their Abilities on their turn...

Yes. If Scoop-Up Net had the same terminology, maybe we wouldn't have seen Shaymin-EX banned from Expanded as quick as it actually happened...
Empoleon's ability only works on basic pokemon...

The Fish

0.o
Agreed. They did Empoleon justice on the pack art.
Yep. I also love how he's just flying in the Rapid Strike poster (Kecleon hype woooooo). I wonder if they'll make a VMAX of the penguin boyo. Then again, the booster pack art doesn't have any red auras around it.

Also, just realised that Mustard can cheat the rather useful stage 1s and 2s into play.