'Vivid Voltage,' November's English Set!

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
Charizard is my favourite Pokèmon,but Nessa is my favourite Gym Leader of Galar.
It's a tuff choice this one.

The Fish

0.o
Ok Lugia is going to be absolutely INSANE in the theme deck format. There aren't many shuffle draw supporters; most theme decks rely on accumulating a huge hand, then using the 1 copy of Cynthia to put it all back in and not deck out. Lugia nukes this strategy. 4 energy isn't even unreasonable in this format.

In Dreadnaw all I see is Cramorant. I LOVE IT. You get the entire Cramokuda deck by buying 2 theme decks. Wishiwashi is extremely good consistency. Samurott is a a tanky disruptor and is just straight up better than Dreadnaw in almost every situation. Baraskewda will be key to cleaning up KOs since the deck won't be able to get many clean one shots (nOt through weakness). No Turbo Path though booooooo

Yanmega is a good pivot. Magcargo is garbage. Sudowudo is good consistency, though Wishiwashi is way better. Charizard is the star, you get one out and the deck will take just off. It's a super cheap attacker that completely overshadows the rest of the deck, bar one card - Lugia, who will be an absolute monster if it gets rolling.

Alex Leblanc

Aspiring Trainer
Ok Lugia is going to be absolutely INSANE in the theme deck format. There aren't many shuffle draw supporters; most theme decks rely on accumulating a huge hand, then using the 1 copy of Cynthia to put it all back in and not deck out. Lugia nukes this strategy. 4 energy isn't even unreasonable in this format.

In Dreadnaw all I see is Cramorant. I LOVE IT. You get the entire Cramokuda deck by buying 2 theme decks. Wishiwashi is extremely good consistency. Samurott is a a tanky disruptor and is just straight up better than Dreadnaw in almost every situation. Baraskewda will be key to cleaning up KOs since the deck won't be able to get many clean one shots (nOt through weakness). No Turbo Path though booooooo

Yanmega is a good pivot. Magcargo is garbage. Sudowudo is good consistency, though Wishiwashi is way better. Charizard is the star, you get one out and the deck will take just off. It's a super cheap attacker that completely overshadows the rest of the deck, bar one card - Lugia, who will be an absolute monster if it gets rolling.
You need to keep in mind that Lugia has 130 HP and takes 4 manual attachments or charge up. I agree with you on the cards in hand thing- You're always getting that attack, but you're never getting the attack off. Don't be fooled by this theme deck. It's as bad as the rest of the bad ones.

Kaizaac

Aspiring Trainer
I just got the Charizard Prerelease Promo, so I have 5 Charizards now, but I still might get the Theme Deck for the Leons (and to make a bit of money off the other Charizards.

The Fish

0.o
You need to keep in mind that Lugia has 130 HP and takes 4 manual attachments or charge up. I agree with you on the cards in hand thing- You're always getting that attack, but you're never getting the attack off. Don't be fooled by this theme deck. It's as bad as the rest of the bad ones.
Bede exists. Considering Zard only needs 2 attachments and can tank most hits, you can easily commit to Lugia. 130 HP is a fair amount, though not ideal I know. It survives Rapidash's agility twice, survives Necrozma's attack if it hasn't attached a special energy, survives lots of fighting type stuff due to resistance, though it does die to Thundurus. If this Zard takes off then it tanks that too if there's no Leon in the discard. Most of the theme deck cards rely on 2 shotting stuff anyway. I'm just saying if it DOES survive an attack, it can steamroll out of control. It's the only basic mon that can reliably 1 shot anything in the format consistently.
I do agree that the deck will probably still lose to TEU Zard but there's a chance that it could hold its own. Dreadnaw might be good purely for type coverage, but it's still super clunky.

WillyCharizard

Aspiring Trainer
Bede exists. Considering Zard only needs 2 attachments and can tank most hits, you can easily commit to Lugia. 130 HP is a fair amount, though not ideal I know. It survives Rapidash's agility twice, survives Necrozma's attack if it hasn't attached a special energy, survives lots of fighting type stuff due to resistance, though it does die to Thundurus. If this Zard takes off then it tanks that too if there's no Leon in the discard. Most of the theme deck cards rely on 2 shotting stuff anyway. I'm just saying if it DOES survive an attack, it can steamroll out of control. It's the only basic mon that can reliably 1 shot anything in the format consistently.
I do agree that the deck will probably still lose to TEU Zard but there's a chance that it could hold its own. Dreadnaw might be good purely for type coverage, but it's still super clunky.

There is another Lugia in DAA, and that one look more like a theme deck pokemon than a 250 hitter pokemon, specially with Charizard able to hit 200 and Maccargo able to hit 180, there is already 2 heavy hitters in the deck, theme decks never recieve that many, Charizard is clearly the best deck here with a 3,3,2 Charizard line and 2 Ordinary rod there are chances to have 3 Charizards on the game or even 4 with so much luck, I wish there were more ways to discard Leon than Charizard itself and research, Charizard can only discard 2 from the deck so if you have Leon on hand is worthless and research... at least with my luck I most likely gonna start my hand with research, both ordinary rod both Charizard and not a single leon to discard, I wish they replace Dan with Milo that would be an excellent supporter for any deck that need to discard something in theme deck not the awful research, hopefully is the Yanmegga with free retreat so Bede will be easy to use sometimes

I can see Nessa having a chance to put tons of pressure on firsts turns due Cramorant but not other Pokemon have anything special, Samurott and Drednaw dont have the damage to worth the effort of charge them with no true energy acceleration other than Bede these decks is most likely doomed again, you need extremely good set up or your opponent having a bad time with his set up or both to win, also 3 Nessa these deck gonna have tons of dead hands most of the times

Sadly the theme meta will remain the same most likely, we need a water deck with a freaking Frosmoth why is so hard to give a Frosmoth line? 3 water decks already and not a single one have a Frosmoth, I only ask for a 1,1 line at least, hopefully the next one would have a Fromosth finally

Flygonite

Meta/budget player
Took them ages but they finally started putting a better balance of trainers in theme decks again. It seems like Charizard has power on its side, but less consistency - while Nessa has a multitude of attackers but also has issues loading them. Samurott playing energy denial, Cramorant dumping Arrokewdas for 180 damage, Drednaw playing the paralysis game all are fine win conditions, but the problem is that the deck only has Bede to load them. Charizard has a better attacker spread with Yanmega allowing you to win against old water match-ups, and thanks to Leon you will actually achieve KOs with U-Turn hitting for 160. The problem is once again loading them. Lugia and Magcargo are as filler as it gets, and even moreso with Magcargo discarding your precious attachments for damage. I'm glad to see that they are starting to include colorless attackers of other types in theme decks tho, the single color theme was getting old.

Both these decks would have really benefitted from a 2-2 Trumbeak spread - hell, it may be one of the few times an incomplete evo line justifies existing into theme decks. But what's done is done. Seems like the Dragonite/Charizard TEU/Kyogre meta is here to stay.

Last edited:

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
If you have to use "technically" you're already in trouble. Regardless if "the store sells them incorrectly" or "could've gotten more". This is not just a Pokémon problem, stuff like the new 3090s from Nvidia is getting scalped too - but Pokémon scalping? You know the target audience is kids, right? You're scamming kids because it's a "great deal" for you.

And before the obligatory 'but my buyers aren't kids!' well congratulations, you're not scamming kids - whoever your buyers are, it's still a scam. For a children's card game. And it's not the store's problem for selling things incorrectly - it's yours for taking advantage. Try using "but the door was unlocked! It's the store's risk amirite" as a defense for an actual robbery, see how that goes. I can't believe we're still blaming anything other than the perpetrators.

That being said, I am not closing discussion on the subject because of my stance on it, or because I disagree with it. This is not some regime, that is not how we do things here. I am closing discussion on it because a) this is not a thread about scalping and b) even if it was, it's one of those topics where nothing good ever comes out of it.

So, obviously I can't stop anybody from going around doing it irl, but drop the scalping discussion here. Again, if anybody has a problem, just send me a PM, I'm always open for constructive criticism.