'Shiny Star V' Announced for November, Plus Blastoise and Venusaur VMAX!

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Comflicted about how to feel about the fact we're most likely getting regular Shiny Rillaboom and Frosmoth even tho we already got gold FA versions in previous sets; on one hand I'm like "Yay more Shinys" but on the other hand they just feel like filler in a way lol

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Am I the only one who thinks Snom looks like someone with their head and upper torso stuck in a pile of ice?

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Aren't these kinds of sets usually appear at the end of the generation's lifespan, to celebrate the cards released in it?
You’d think. But after they realized how they struck gold with how successful Hidden Fates/GX Ultra Shiny in Japan likely was, they’re probably going to make this a yearly thing for that sweet, sweet cash flow.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
You’d think. But after they realized how they struck gold with how successful Hidden Fates/GX Ultra Shiny in Japan likely was, they’re probably going to make this a yearly thing for that sweet, sweet cash flow.
Makes sense. If you look at the PTCG subreddit, there's 0 posts about the game - only "wow, check out this pull I gambled/bought". The Standard format is in shambles. It's pretty clear they're pushing more limited, collectible sets for collectors, rather than players.
Still, I wouldn't mind if it didn't actively detriment from the gameplay.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Makes sense. If you look at the PTCG subreddit, there's 0 posts about the game - only "wow, check out this pull I gambled/bought". The Standard format is in shambles. It's pretty clear they're pushing more limited, collectible sets for collectors, rather than players.
Well-and, take this from someone who has no experience with actually playing the game, so excuse me if I miss something- I feel like the whole situation with the pandemic would have part of an effect on this, right? I saw a couple of posts about "where should I start?" and a few deck advice ones with a quick check, but it definitely isn't as active as what I remember from a few years ago... People aren't playing as many games be I'd assume, and in terms of tournaments all that there really is is those occasional Players Cups on PTCGO, right? I feel as if with a less active playerbase due to those circumstances it would make sense to me at least that the people just opening cards and/or collecting are the ones who would be most active during all this. At least, that's part of what it could be. I don't know about the health of the actual format since I don't really pay attention, of course. If it's relatively stale, could that potentially have an effect too?

I can't really comment on whether special sets aimed towards collectors is a detriment or not to the gameplay, because, I don't necessarily have any way of knowing. However, I think releasing too many of them does work against collectors-specifically completionists-when they release too much of it too quickly. That's at least my issue with it-I wouldn't mind if they did a Hidden Fates type deal at the end of an era, they're cool sets! But if it's going to be this thing they constantly push out every year or so, then that's where the problems come up. It can get to be too much sometimes, I imagine.

Malavok

Aspiring Trainer
This new art just shows another angle to how atrocious Thwackey is as a design.

I actually think this art is kind of cute.

Isn't it every 2 years? At least the shiny sets. Seems that they're releasing them a year after the new generation starts. Unless you count Tag All Stars, which was a special set but not a shiny one.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Isn't it every 2 years? At least the shiny sets. Seems that they're releasing them a year after the new generation starts. Unless you count Tag All Stars, which was a special set but not a shiny one.
Well, that's how it was in Sun and Moon The thing here is the precedent as to how quickly they decided to release this one. GX Ultra Shiny wasn't until the end of 2018-the second year of the Sun and Moon era, whereas this is only at the end of the first year of the SwSh era where they decided to put out one of these sets.. The whole thing is that I wouldn't at all be surprised if they did Ultra Shiny-type sets yearly from now on, given how successful the first one was.

Clam

Almost decent
Snom is trying to hold in all that barf until the photographer takes the picture.

CptBenjib

Aspiring Trainer
I am in the Montreal, Canada area. Is this set going to be available in english, any ideas of the release date in stores ?

Chicken008

Aspiring Trainer
To be fair /r/pkmntcg/ is the subreddit where people actually talk about the game.

Houndoom08

The Cramorant Master
These sets usually are only published in Japan. I would be surprised if we get an English version.

CptBenjib

Aspiring Trainer
These sets usually are only published in Japan. I would be surprised if we get an English version.
Are there example sets where that happened ? I know the hype is around the English version sets but even though I can’t read Japanese I find them more attractive “exclusive”. Like the OG of pokemon cards

If they don’t print in english I am def going to pre-order !

MasterGallade

Are there example sets where that happened ? I know the hype is around the English version sets but even though I can’t read Japanese I find them more attractive “exclusive”. Like the OG of pokemon cards

If they don’t print in english I am def going to pre-order !

Since this set is basically GX Ultra Shiny/Hidden Fates Part 2, we can probably expect to see Shiny Star V in English as 2021's holiday set, since GX Ultra Shiny came out at the end of 2018 in Japan and we finally got it in English as Hidden Fates at the end of 2019. However, don't expect any confirmation of an English release until the middle of 2021 at the earliest if Hidden Fates is anything to go by, lol

A telling sign of this is the shiny Charizard V in Champion's Path. They previously did the same thing for Dragon Majesty in 2019, giving us gold Ultra Necrozma in English months before its Japanese release in GX Ultra Shiny later that year (2018), and then released the rest of the set as Hidden Fates the following year (2019)

CptBenjib

Aspiring Trainer
Since this set is basically GX Ultra Shiny/Hidden Fates Part 2, we can probably expect to see Shiny Star V in English as 2021's holiday set, since GX Ultra Shiny came out at the end of 2018 in Japan and we finally got it in English as Hidden Fates at the end of 2019. However, don't expect any confirmation of an English release until the middle of 2021 at the earliest if Hidden Fates is anything to go by, lol

A telling sign of this is the shiny Charizard V in Champion's Path. They previously did the same thing for Dragon Majesty in 2019, giving us gold Ultra Necrozma in English months before its Japanese release in GX Ultra Shiny later that year (2018), and then released the rest of the set as Hidden Fates the following year (2019)

From what I understand I think I shall play it safe and find some to pre-order + get the english version if it ever comes out !

Thanks for the great message btw ;)

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector

Actually, if they had the Shiny Charizard V ready in English THAT early, we might actually get Shiny Star V earlier than that! There have been talks about SSV being our 25th anniversary set, so I'm holding out for that rumor!

MasterGallade

From what I understand I think I shall play it safe and find some to pre-order + get the english version if it ever comes out !

Thanks for the great message btw ;)

Yeah I'm probably gonna order a box myself just for the fun of it, then go crazy when it finally comes out in English :p No problem, always happy to inform people~

Actually, if they had the Shiny Charizard V ready in English THAT early, we might actually get Shiny Star V earlier than that! There have been talks about SSV being our 25th anniversary set, so I'm holding out for that rumor!

That's a possibility, but I think it's more likely Japan will also get a separate 25th Anniversary set, which would obviously become our Anniversary set as well (similar to Japan's 2016 Starter Pack and the English Generations mini-set)