2020 Holiday Set Confirmed, Includes Missing Sun & Moon Cards!

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
That's just you being salty. They may be lousy but that's over-the-top lol

Maybe, but if no one does anything, they'll continue to screw many of you who may think you safely pre-ordered early and saved money, only to have your order cancelled and with no repercussions to them.

Nyora

A Cat
Maybe, but if no one does anything, they'll continue to screw many of you who may think you safely pre-ordered early and saved money, only to have your order cancelled and with no repercussions to them.
I assume you got your money back? If not, I understand. If you did, then what is there to complain about. Again, you're just being salty, and honestly that whole 10 bad reviews things is realllllyyyy unnecessarily mean.

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
I got my money back obviously, but cancelling an order only to relist it at a higher price almost immediately shows dishonesty as a seller. If you personally know anyone who did this or received negative feedback for shady seller tactics, they deserve it.

johnwick

Aspiring Trainer
Many sites are still selling Champion's Path products with only the Zard ETB being highly priced or sold out. Just watch as soon as VMax Zard RR is verified or some other good stuff maybe as a subset, even the smaller products will sell out.

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
This has all the makings of being a Hidden Fates, Shinning Legends type of set, but what could be the subset in this release? There hasn’t been much of anything released between the Japanese Card Game and international TCG to fill the void of being repackaged as a subset.

Unless they announce something in the coming days or the set sees something that the Japanese release schedule hasn’t even announced yet.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Even though I don't have much interest in this set I do have to reiterate how nice it is to be seeing 2D art in some of these Ultra Rares. Incineroar, Gardevoir, and Lucario all do look great. It's a huge improvement over the early Sun and Moon era where every GX was just a 3D render. I don't mind 3D cards (I adore the BW and XY full arts), but there was something about GX's and a lot of the V's that have come out that I just tend to forget about because of how same-y they can all be. So more variety like the Tag Teams and some of these V's having different art is a HUGE plus for me.

This has all the makings of being a Hidden Fates, Shinning Legends type of set, but what could be the subset in this release? There hasn’t been much of anything released between the Japanese Card Game and international TCG to fill the void of being repackaged as a subset.

Unless they announce something in the coming days or the set sees something that Japanese hasn’t even announced yet.
I'm assuming it's going to just be like Dragon Majesty, that was a special set that didn't have any subset. They'd have announced one by now if it was going to have one I think.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Pokemon's 25th anniversary is in February, so maybe they're saving chase cards for then. Like those full arts of Red, Green, and Blue.

Chickenless

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon's 25th anniversary is in February, so maybe they're saving chase cards for then. Like those full arts of Red, Green, and Blue.

Along with those, there's the handful of FA GX cards that have yet to be released in the US like Jirachi GX, Weavile GX, all the gold tag teams. I thought the special holiday set would contain them because the GX era has one foot out the door. I suppose the 25th anniversary would be ideal for those high value cards. It just feels weird have GX cards releasing a year after the era has ended.

Galar Aviad

Aspiring Trainer
No wonder they included the Charizard V promo and put the Charizard VMAX on the ETB - it seems like there isn't gonna be anything special in this set, so those Charizards will fill in the void.
I was hoping for Tag Team All Stars SR's any maybe the Ultra Shiny Star V that's coming in November - but now I really doubt that's gonna happen...
So what's the point of this, I have no idea.

The Fish

0.o
Even though I don't have much interest in this set I do have to reiterate how nice it is to be seeing 2D art in some of these Ultra Rares. Incineroar, Gardevoir, and Lucario all do look great. It's a huge improvement over the early Sun and Moon era where every GX was just a 3D render. I don't mind 3D cards (I adore the BW and XY full arts), but there was something about GX's and a lot of the V's that have come out that I just tend to forget about because of how same-y they can all be. So more variety like the Tag Teams and some of these V's having different art is a HUGE plus for me.

I'm assuming it's going to just be like Dragon Majesty, that was a special set that didn't have any subset. They'd have announced one by now if it was going to have one I think.

AGREED on the art statement. This is exactly why cards like Lapras V and Snorlax V got me so hyped when I first saw them. I thought they would have every V that evolved into a Vmax be 2D art, but no, they just HAD to let 5ban graphics in didn't they. A great example is Scizor V and Vmax. Scizor V is an absolute masterpiece of an artwork, but then Scizor Vmax looks like a badly rendered action figure. Also, the 3D rendered cards don't age particularly well (with exceptions), so yeah.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
AGREED on the art statement. This is exactly why cards like Lapras V and Snorlax V got me so hyped when I first saw them. I thought they would have every V that evolved into a Vmax be 2D art, but no, they just HAD to let 5ban graphics in didn't they. A great example is Scizor V and Vmax. Scizor V is an absolute masterpiece of an artwork, but then Scizor Vmax looks like a badly rendered action figure. Also, the 3D rendered cards don't age particularly well (with exceptions), so yeah.
I think it's what you do with the 3D art that makes or breaks it. For instance, go back to BW/XY Full Arts. For the most part they hit everything right. BW's had very solid renders of the Pokemon in dynamic poses with fitting backgrounds. The gold borders around the Pokemon don't interfere with the product as a whole, and in fact make them pop a little more than they would otherwise, as well as their renders working very well with the texturing. The Plasma ones do a very good job with the "evil" look to them as well, and I think Ryo Ueda's XY ones are very simple, yet effective in its stylized shading. All of this is done with 3D art and yet they all are appealing collectibles. I think cards like Level X's and Primes that also use 3D renders have some excellent looking ones too. Older ex's, while definitely aged I personally like. I like that sort of dated look to them in all honesty.

Nowadays it's either hit or miss I think, and it's been an issue since Sun and Moon. The Full Arts are...Okay when you look at them in a big group, but they're not really doing much otherwise. I like some of them, the Reshizard and Braixen/Charizard are both pretty nice full arts. None of them top the XY Full Art but they're still nice enough cards nonetheless. But look at something like...Machamp GX. It just kinda looks off. But most of the time, regular or full art they're just kinda.. There? I think it might partially be because every set is FLOODED with Ultra Rares these days to where everything feels same-y. And Vmax's...Yeesh. It's just an overload of swooshes and swirls and colors. I like a couple of them, like a lot of these kinds of modern cards (I think Toxtricity and Charizard look pretty nice for instance), but then you have something like Scizor which looks...Weird, and Eternatus which is probably the worst looking Pokemon card I've ever seen because it's too much. See what I mean where it's all about what you do with the 3D art?

And the thing is? Last year, I didn't mind it as much because Tag Teams existed. Gorgeous art done by Mitsuhiro Arita, plus the alternate art ones which were done by other artists who work in the TCG. You had people like Tomokazu Komiya, one of my favorites, OOYAMA doing the Wailord/Magikarp, sui doing the Mewtwo/Mew, it works out so well because so many of the best of the best artists are doing these ultras. And as it turns out, Tag Teams were the best part about the Sun and Moon era (in terms of collectibles, I don't care about their impact on the meta in this case). They worked so well because of one word: Variety. You have this variety between them and yet at the same time, they all work well together sharing one thing in common, that's them being Tag Teams. I'd love for this to become the norm, because it'd start getting me more into the modern TCG again.

In my ideal TCG, No more rainbows, no more 5000 filler ultra rares, no more golden items or whatever. Regular Print, Full Art, FA Trainer, and like... a couple SR's in the set. Have quality over quantity. Again, 3D cards are fine if they actually work. But just have more variety.

God I talk too much

ForeverRanger91

Aspiring Trainer
Lucario V is Buzwole GX but it lacks a couple of the tricks Buzzy boy had. Still a solid card and will see play in fighting decks.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Gardevoir-V is one of the best looking Pokemon-V, but I can't get over how bad the VMAX looks lol it's one of the worst ones imo

the one on the pack art looks 1000 times better ;_;