Help Expanded Format Deck Help

Sitting Tauros

Aspiring Trainer
I'm trying to get back into the pokemon tcg and I need help on building a deck that makes use of the Tauros GX from the Sun & Moon set? Could anyone give me some help please?

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'm not sure it's really possible to build a (sensible) deck based on that card; it's a normal type card that does some damage but otherwise doesn't really do anything.

If I wanted to build a deck that *used* Tauros GX, I might consider a Distortion Door Giratina based deck (spell tag, Malamar, that sort of thing) alongside it; that would let you put a few counters on Tauros in the safety of the bench and then put it in the active later on when it's got a bundle of them.

Sitting Tauros

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not sure it's really possible to build a (sensible) deck based on that card; it's a normal type card that does some damage but otherwise doesn't really do anything.

If I wanted to build a deck that *used* Tauros GX, I might consider a Distortion Door Giratina based deck (spell tag, Malamar, that sort of thing) alongside it; that would let you put a few counters on Tauros in the safety of the bench and then put it in the active later on when it's got a bundle of them.

That's actually what I meant. I want to build an expanded format deck that uses Tauros GX as part of its strategy. Can you recommend any other decks that might use tauros gx?

Sitting Tauros

Aspiring Trainer

I saw this previous deck entry:

https://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/raging-herd-tauros-gx-tauros-deck.150149/

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I think you need to take a step back and tell us at least, what do you want to do with this? Are you trying to be competitive at local leagues? Competitive with your friends who have similarly outdated decks? Competitive at cups/regionals? PTCGO tournaments? Or PTCGO Versus ladder? Or just make a fun deck that includes your (obviously) favorite Pokémon?

If you're trying to be competitive on any level other than 'with my friends and their similarly outdated decks' or "just make a fun deck", the answer is probably - no deck. Tauros GX is a pretty weak card in the game, especially now, and especially in Expanded where there's a _ton_ of super powerful stuff out there.

I suppose you might be able to at least be vaguely competitive on PTCGO Versus, especially with the matchmaking, with some deck or another - maybe something vaguely like the deck you linked to, for example - but even there I think it would be challenging, without more information.

You could probably add a few Tauros GX to almost any deck that has some sort of energy acceleration, and not be terrible, though odds are the addition will make your deck worse - but again, if it's your favorite Pokémon, who cares? Have fun playing with it.

Sitting Tauros

Aspiring Trainer
I think you need to take a step back and tell us at least, what do you want to do with this? Are you trying to be competitive at local leagues? Competitive with your friends who have similarly outdated decks? Competitive at cups/regionals? PTCGO tournaments? Or PTCGO Versus ladder? Or just make a fun deck that includes your (obviously) favorite Pokémon?

If you're trying to be competitive on any level other than 'with my friends and their similarly outdated decks' or "just make a fun deck", the answer is probably - no deck. Tauros GX is a pretty weak card in the game, especially now, and especially in Expanded where there's a _ton_ of super powerful stuff out there.

I suppose you might be able to at least be vaguely competitive on PTCGO Versus, especially with the matchmaking, with some deck or another - maybe something vaguely like the deck you linked to, for example - but even there I think it would be challenging, without more information.

You could probably add a few Tauros GX to almost any deck that has some sort of energy acceleration, and not be terrible, though odds are the addition will make your deck worse - but again, if it's your favorite Pokémon, who cares? Have fun playing with it.
Are there any decent toolbox decks?

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Mewtwo & Mew TTGX is a pretty functional toolbox that can also make use of Tauros GX since it can copy its attacks and has bigger HP to get more mileage from it

Gark707

Aspiring Trainer
Do you really need every little thing spoon fed to you? Just Google it and figure it out
Bro chill out, he asked politely, no need to over react. But yeah, that's what the deck is called. Maybe try Mewtwo and mew toolbox for more results.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I play a Ninja Boy deck that use Tauros-Gx as part of its strategy. Similar to a Mew3-TTGX deck but not auto-loosing to every deck that plays Garbotoxin, Muk or Power Plant. You will not be able to probably get your hands on something like Regirock XY promo which is the key in this deck to beating disruption/mill decks but there are a lot of possible techs in this deck you can use.

I play this deck on PTCGO and have positive matchup and answer against most of the meta decks. Douche bags like Crownaxe will tell you its bad. Just dont listen to this type of guy who is only in there to tell people they are wrong but has nothing interesting to bring to the table.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
I play a Ninja Boy deck that use Tauros-Gx as part of its strategy. Similar to a Mew3-TTGX deck but not auto-loosing to every deck that plays Garbotoxin, Muk or Power Plant. You will not be able to probably get your hands on something like Regirock XY promo which is the key in this deck to beating disruption/mill decks but there are a lot of possible techs in this deck you can use.

I play this deck on PTCGO and have positive matchup and answer against most of the meta decks. Douche bags like Crownaxe will tell you its bad. Just dont listen to this type of guy who is only in there to tell people they are wrong but has nothing interesting to bring to the table.
bro just dont

Nyora

A Cat
Wait a couple weeks for Darkness Ablaze, and use I believe the I believe unified minds Tauros in tandem with Spikemuth. Unsure how good that'd be, but hey, spam some Switch, Escape Rope, Bird Keeper or Guzma, etc. And you can probably rack up quite a bit of damage fairly quickly. Tauros's main problem however at least I can see is if you want to build a deck around it, it doesnt really feel as good as Spiritomb, which is basically better than Tauros GX. That said, I think it can still make for an awesome meme deck!
Do you really need every little thing spoon fed to you? Just Google it and figure it out
Not everyone learns the same, shut up :)

Name a matchup mew3 AUTOloses to that plays Garbodor, Muk, or Power Plant. And tell me why, while looking at any decent mew3 list.
Are there any decent toolbox decks?
A lot of expanded decks carry the consistency necessary to make a LOT of decks essentially toolboxes, hell I'd even consider the stall decks that exist kinda like boxes just looking at the lists.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Wait a couple weeks for Darkness Ablaze, and use I believe the I believe unified minds Tauros in tandem with Spikemuth. Unsure how good that'd be, but hey, spam some Switch, Escape Rope, Bird Keeper or Guzma, etc. And you can probably rack up quite a bit of damage fairly quickly. Tauros's main problem however at least I can see is if you want to build a deck around it, it doesnt really feel as good as Spiritomb, which is basically better than Tauros GX. That said, I think it can still make for an awesome meme deck!

Not everyone learns the same, shut up :)

Name a matchup mew3 AUTOloses to that plays Garbodor, Muk, or Power Plant. And tell me why, while looking at any decent mew3 list.

A lot of expanded decks carry the consistency necessary to make a LOT of decks essentially toolboxes, hell I'd even consider the stall decks that exist kinda like boxes just looking at the lists.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the only thing that keeps you going against a Garb or Muk deck is Stealthy Hood apart from Field Blower against Garb. How does the deck beat UltraNecrozma? Personally, I’m my Ninja deck I use Wobbuffet V and Silver spoon. Unless they shut down abilities very quickly I win most of the time.

Other matchups at the moment would be Trevenant and Dusknoir. That’s not a straight autoloss but unless I’m mistaken this should be favorable by a very high margin. Can’t think of a 3rd one right now.

Nyora

A Cat
Correct me if I’m wrong but the only thing that keeps you going against a Garb or Muk deck is Stealthy Hood apart from Field Blower against Garb. How does the deck beat UltraNecrozma? Personally, I’m my Ninja deck I use Wobbuffet V and Silver spoon. Unless they shut down abilities very quickly I win most of the time.

Other matchups at the moment would be Trevenant and Dusknoir. That’s not a straight autoloss but unless I’m mistaken this should be favorable by a very high margin. Can’t think of a 3rd one right now.
To be fair, TrevNoir is a busted deck in general and a lot of decks take a quick L to it.
Mew3 decks built well can take out Unecrozma T1, which is why it's a matchup mew3 can handle. As long as you can (most likely) take out Silent Lab, things like Giratina + VenuVy, A-Marowak GX, etc., allow you to just sweep grimers/trubbish T1. Things like Distort and if you can pull it off, Sonic Volume, also make the matchup a lot easier.

If the necrozma deck you're fighting isn't shutting down abilities by the 2nd turn of the game in total, it's probably either A) an unlucky necrozma deck or B) a bad necrozma deck.